• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Pre-Proposal: Lobby for Dash (Phase One)

Hi there,

Lobbying is a complicated and fairly exhausting process and experience in the field definitely helps, but judging from your profile it looks like you have a good grasp on how things work and you'll have the opportunity to refine your messages along the way. Your exposure to it so far will definitely assist you.

I have a few comments:
  1. Your schedule is well thought out but probably unrealistic. What I mean by this is you are assuming that every rep will take a meeting on the day you're in their state at a practical time. In truth, if you do get a meeting, it may be at awkward times during sitting weeks, or they may not be present at all during certain times. You'll need to be flexible, your travel may need to be booked last minute, same with accommodation and so on. Basically it will require a lot of organisation and probably a buffer in your budget (i.e. more Dash on standby) in case things go pearshaped.
  2. Your general pitch should be very refined, and then targeted for each meeting based on those specific issues. One thing is for certain; you probably won't know how much time you'll get with each rep and it may suddenly change depending on their business that day. Stick to the old 'upside pyramid' of information; most important details at the top and the less critical stuff at the bottom in case your time gets chopped. Have some good illustrative examples of why this innovation is a good thing and will benefit the state and its constituents. Be prepared to answer the tough, general questions that comes up often in mainstream crypto debate (e.g. only drug dealers and tax avoiders use it), briefly and eloquently.
  3. Are there any considerations as far as requiring to be registered as a lobbyist on behalf of an organisation, or other such checks and balances? I am unsure of the US laws here. May vary state to state as well.
  4. Your team here will be critically important. Most lobbying efforts will be better served by an eloquent and personable marketer with a workable technical knowledge than an engineer who gets bogged down by the technicals.
  5. Your proposal format should probably be cleaned up a bit for readability by MNOs but your content and research so far is good.
Hope that helps. I have some experience from the Australian federal side which is obviously different to the US side but preparation will be key here.

Cheers,
Jack @ DR

Just want to jump in here and offer my 2 uD

I first met gerundo, in person, a few months ago in Austin through my network and we talked extensively about the political lobbying process. I left those those conversations so thoroughly impressed by both her knowledge and first hand experience that I urged her to come work for the DAO. She has literally sat at the front desk during countless lobbyist meetings with high powered politicians where she overheard entire conversations and gained a first hand grasp on how this system really, actually works behind closed doors. Not to mention she's a straight-A poli sci grad.

Perhaps Dash cannot afford a multi million dollar high powered lobby firm yet. But in my opinion we also cannot afford not to have a seat at the table as laws and legislations are being written by lawmakers across the US. We have not yet missed our opportunity.

Perhaps the perfect starting point is a brilliant, scrappy political science grad with a few years of lobbying experience to get hyper informed on absolutely every law and legislation passed or being written, chart out all the lawmakers involved in crypto right now and start getting some meetings where we educate these lawmakers. She'll find the ones that are sympathetic to our cause. She'll work with Core and MNOs to figure out what kind of agenda they want pursued. DAO/Core will have the option of sending one or more representatives to said meetings.

Further, the idea of forming a broader political lobbying, bringing in Coinbase and others, could have astounding overwhelming benefit to the Network and Dash can be at the center of it all.

I don't think anyone can deny the ability for this to snowball into something massive.

Thanks for the pre-proposal gerundo, I know you've been working hard on it.

thank you feedbands

Hi there,

Lobbying is a complicated and fairly exhausting process and experience in the field definitely helps, but judging from your profile it looks like you have a good grasp on how things work and you'll have the opportunity to refine your messages along the way. Your exposure to it so far will definitely assist you.

I have a few comments:
  1. Your schedule is well thought out but probably unrealistic. What I mean by this is you are assuming that every rep will take a meeting on the day you're in their state at a practical time. In truth, if you do get a meeting, it may be at awkward times during sitting weeks, or they may not be present at all during certain times. You'll need to be flexible, your travel may need to be booked last minute, same with accommodation and so on. Basically it will require a lot of organisation and probably a buffer in your budget (i.e. more Dash on standby) in case things go pearshaped.
  2. Your general pitch should be very refined, and then targeted for each meeting based on those specific issues. One thing is for certain; you probably won't know how much time you'll get with each rep and it may suddenly change depending on their business that day. Stick to the old 'upside pyramid' of information; most important details at the top and the less critical stuff at the bottom in case your time gets chopped. Have some good illustrative examples of why this innovation is a good thing and will benefit the state and its constituents. Be prepared to answer the tough, general questions that comes up often in mainstream crypto debate (e.g. only drug dealers and tax avoiders use it), briefly and eloquently.
  3. Are there any considerations as far as requiring to be registered as a lobbyist on behalf of an organisation, or other such checks and balances? I am unsure of the US laws here. May vary state to state as well.
  4. Your team here will be critically important. Most lobbying efforts will be better served by an eloquent and personable marketer with a workable technical knowledge than an engineer who gets bogged down by the technicals.
  5. Your proposal format should probably be cleaned up a bit for readability by MNOs but your content and research so far is good.
Hope that helps. I have some experience from the Australian federal side which is obviously different to the US side but preparation will be key here.

Cheers,
Jack @ DR
thank you jack. been working on the registration part, it is going to vary state by state.. what i personally can and can't do it will vary in different places and i can find the right people in some states so that they could do what I can't. you're right that the schedule is unrealistic..cleaned it up and have added lots that i left out of that schedule for what I plan to post as complete proposal

Back