• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Pre-proposal: Grassroots Crowdfunding System

Would you support this proposal?

• Total voters
Dash transactions can't be "reversed" as such, so I assume you mean this method involves undoing then with a compensating transaction. I imagine it must work like this: For example, say 5 backers will fund 20 DASH each to make a total of 100 DASH for a proposal. They each send to a P2SH address. The script for the P2SH address says:
  • If the total DASH received is >= 100, it must be spent to a nominated address
  • If the total DASH received is < 100, it must be sent in pieces to an address nominated by each funding transaction
Is this how it would work? I only know the very basics of the Dash Script language, so this is the best I can describe it, and I don't know if the script language supports all the operations necessary for this.

More technical input is needed from core. If the tech doesn't exist for this to happen, then we need to know what it will take to make it happen.

It is my understanding, Evolution will have time-lock functions e.g. some kind of vaulting feature that allows a withdrawal to be cancelled within 24 hours. There was also talk about locking up funds and paying some kind of "interest". Clearly the new governance system is (or will be) powerful enough to do such things, so why not crowdfunding?

More technical input is needed from core. If the tech doesn't exist for this to happen, then we need to know what it will take to make it happen.

It is my understanding, Evolution will have time-lock functions e.g. some kind of vaulting feature that allows a withdrawal to be cancelled within 24 hours. There was also talk about locking up funds and paying some kind of "interest". Clearly the new governance system is (or will be) powerful enough to do such things, so why not crowdfunding?

I doubt you can do this the way @ashmoran described - script doesn't control the destination of funds neither it can send anything. All script can do is to control that this exact utxo is spendable only by someone who provides the right conditions for this script to evaluate to "true".

However the idea of trustless crowdfunding can be implemented as a script simply by using the same script flag combination as we use for mixing. And there is no additional changes to protocol required, you just need to wrap this in some kind of software for convenience - https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Contract#Example_3:_Assurance_contracts

I doubt you can do this the way @ashmoran described - script doesn't control the destination of funds neither it can send anything. All script can do is to control that this exact utxo is spendable only by someone who provides the right conditions for this script to evaluate to "true".

However the idea of trustless crowdfunding can be implemented as a script simply by using the same script flag combination as we use for mixing. And there is no additional changes to protocol required, you just need to wrap this in some kind of software for convenience - https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Contract#Example_3:_Assurance_contracts
Would it require a wallet that supports "crowdfund pledges" or could those pledges be made from any wallet?

Also, could an attacker pledge a small amount to a crowdfund and then make it fail by simply withdrawing it's pledge at the last minute?

Would it require a wallet that supports "crowdfund pledges" or could those pledges be made from any wallet?

Also, could an attacker pledge a small amount to a crowdfund and then make it fail by simply withdrawing it's pledge at the last minute?
It would require an app that can construct such txes step by step, this shouldn't be necessary a wallet. Or you can even create this by hand but that is going to be not an easy task for normal users with lots of cumbersome steps.

An attacker can't withdraw anything because nothing is actually sent - tx is invalid until there is enough pledgers, so it can't be broadcasted. An attacker could pledge a small amount and then double-spend it but to mitigate this you simply remove his input and wait for someone else to fill the gap if sum of inputs is lower than output + fees, so this attack doesn't really make any sense, it's too easy to mitigate.

@Martin Rue I think UdjinM6 has answered the questions well. For me, I am now much happier voting yes on this proposal if, a) it is implemented in the trustless way described above, ,and b) it is completely open source.

I just voted "yes" in your poll (I am not a MNO)

<vote history>
Would you support this proposal?
*Yes 9 vote(s) 90.0%
No
1 vote(s) 10.0%
</vote history>

But I changed my mind and I want to vote "other".
Could you please add this poll option for me to be able to vote?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Proposal Evaluation Committee

Hi Martin

Your last post was over a month ago, so I assumed you abandoned this proposal, but I see you have posted it already
As you know Dash is growing every day.
To deal with the increased number of proposal, a Proposal Evaluation Committee (PEC) has been created. This work is being done by volunteers (mostly Master Node Owners themselves).
If you want to know who will be doing the Evaluations – see here: Official PEC Pre-P https://goo.gl/qrbeXK
The evaluations also have another function:
To give the MNO’s and community a Prioritized List of Evaluated Proposals. This list will save the MNO’s and everyone else time and increase the chance of your proposal gaining votes. It will also prevent your proposal from getting lost amongst the horde or prevent it from not being read, because it’s too long or non-conforming.
Whether you accept our help or not: we will be doing Reports on all Pre-Proposals near the end of the cycle to prepare the Prioritized List of Evaluated Proposals.

Good luck with your Proposal!

I like the idea, but it seems very similar to what DashForce does already, and has blockchain funds available regularly rather than depending on donations. What unique features does your proposal bring that DashForce does not already offer. Not being negative nellie, just looking for information.

I like the idea, but it seems very similar to what DashForce does already, and has blockchain funds available regularly rather than depending on donations. What unique features does your proposal bring that DashForce does not already offer. Not being negative nellie, just looking for information.

Well in the case I personally would like to support the project but Dash Force doesn't consider it to be valuable such a system would give me and others the opportunity to do that. Overall it's just a more open system since anybody can participate.
Also, I would say it's more similar to the DashBudgetWatch which is for funding the Proposal fee. As compared to this which might fund the whole projects themselves.

Hey everyone.

I wanted to share a short progress update in case anybody was wondering what's happening with the project following the proposal.

Using our own funds, we've been developing the project (which is called DashRoots) since shortly after the proposal failed to gain the required support to pass.

However, we have been unhelpfully quiet on progress. There has just been so much work to do, and we'd ideally prefer to complete the work and let that do the talking.

So here's where we're at right now: https://blog.dashroots.fund/2018/01/04/project-update

I estimate another 4 weeks to get all the remaining bits in place, and I'm working as much as I can on getting it released and in the hands of the grassroots folks who can do great things for Dash.

I'm looking forward to getting back to you all with news of the release as soon as possible. Thanks for the continued support privately and publicly.

Martin

Back