• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Pre-Proposal: fund "Seamless upgrade layer" dev for Dash

Would you like to fund "Seamless upgrade layer" for Dash?

• Yes

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters

Technologov

Hello,

Tezos developers may be able to develop "Seamless update layer" for Dash.

What does it mean ?
In Debian Linux there are 3 versions running at the same time
"unstable" --> "testing" --> "stable".
Same is true for Chrome browser updates in the background. (no longer painful upgrade process from Internet Explorer 6 -> IE7 -> IE8). This is called a "rolling release" update cycle.
In such scenario update are "seamless" because the "testnet" code is simply "promoted" into "stable" code, without convincing the miners, simply upon a Masternode vote.

I think it can dramatically improve the future-update capability of the Dash network and make version transition easier and smoother.
If Trezos developers agree, I would like to fund them *if* they develop this technology for Dash network first, assuming reasonable price, and technical feasibility discussion during the pre-proposal stage.

What do you think ?

I found something on their Twitter channel: https://twitter.com/tez0s

C8lAaHKUIAU7jtO.jpg:large

"On-chain Upgrades" feature should be developed for Dash.

-Technologov

Last edited:
Sounds interesting. At first I thought it would be a huge security risk, but since it will depend on MN votes, it could be properly implemented. But it will add some complexity. Any thoughts @UdjinM6 ?

So, you want to integrate a network critical feature of a not launched blockchain (Tezos) which is written in a different language (oCAML) by developers you think "may" be able to do so?

Well, I want to "hire" those developers to work for Dash, after we make some technical discussion with them. (Assuming they agree to be hired)

Because this feature is important one.

Last edited:
Very often good developers know a lot of languages at a good level. C, C++, Java, C#, Javascript, PHP, python, you-name-it...
And crypto developers are usually ultra-good developers (or else they fail, badly).

And crypto developers are usually ultra-good developers (or else they fail, badly).

The Tezos developers still need to prove themselves, their project is not even live yet. And even IF their project is successful, I'd still argue that a OCaml developer is able to write good low-level C++/STL code needed for Dash Core.

Core DAO is currently on-boarding C++ developers with intensive interviewing and reviewing their former work samples - I prefer that approach tbh.

Hi folks, I'm the lead Tezos dev and just to be clear we don't have any particular interest in working on the Dash code base which is completely different from the architecture we're building and have been building for three years.

It's the second time that this kind of proposal pops up on these forums, so I wanted to make it clear that the Tezos project didn't ask for any of this. We are happy doing our own thing and aren't seeking any funding from Dash.

Last edited:
Hi folks, I'm the lead Tezos dev and just to be clear we don't have any particular interest in working on the Dash code base which is completely different from the architecture we're building and have been building for three years.

It's the second time that this kind of proposal pops up on these forums, so I wanted to make it clear that the Tezos project didn't ask for any of this. We are happy doing our own thing and aren't seeking any funding from Dash.

Until now, I've been very interested to see how Tezos develops... but reading this response makes me nervous for Tezos. I mean, that's three years in the making and you're basically shutting the door, happy to work in isolation. In my mind, given how competitive this space is, that's just not the way to do it.

If their vision is totally separate from Dash in many fundamental concepts, it may be simpler to code from scratch. This is exactly why Vitalik coded Ethereum from scratch rather than as a side-chain or a patch against Bitcoin.

I respect decision of Tezos, but would like to see "Seamless update layer" for Dash, developer separately.

I'm worried about forcing an upgrade like that on anyone's computer system. I like the idea that we still need consensus, via miners AND MNs. This is the last barrier before implementation and forces people to look at what's going on. I know we're all used to getting automatic updates with our apps etc... but this is too mission critical IMO :)

Back