• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Pre-Proposal: Dine and Dash

Does Dine and Dash interest you?

• Total voters
Hello, my name is Michael Houvardas. I have been in the restaurant business my entire life. My Grandfather migrated to the United States from a small Island in Greece, Karpathos to be exact where he and others from the island worked in Ohio running successful restaurants at the time called Brown Derby. Since then my Family moved to Florida, where I was born into the restaurant business, where I learned everything there is to know about running successful restaurants and the only way you can get that is with hands on experience in which I have 20 years of it. One thing I won’t ever forget when I was growing up in the early 90s a customer of from the restaurant, she convinced my parents to get me a computer, she also helped me build it and understand all the ins and outs of programing. But I was later consumed by the family business which today has over 40+ restaurants across Florida and numerous Diners in New Jersey and New York. I truly believe Dash has the potential for mass adoption it just needs to find a purpose.
I had heard about Bitcoin in 2014 from a cousin of mine, but I was in middle of opening another restaurant, so I really didn't have the time to be following crypto-currency until early 2017 and have kept my eye on Dash because I believe that its infrastructure and ease of use was solid compared to some other Alt-coins but even though my cousin would laugh at me when I uttered the words Dash when talking crypto, that think Bitcoin, Etherium, Litecoin, Ripple and OmiseGo are the real players. So I have taken a leave from the restaurants in July 2017 to invest my time to understanding all the ins and out of cryptocurrency to see how I can insert myself into the crypto-space, I have considered mining Dash after seeing how profitable it can be and maybe owning/running a masternode at some point, but buying miners is not as easy as one would think (while avoiding getting scammed), its especially hard when getting from Bitmain also and with the Hash rate increasing like crazy with recent batch releases. So, instead I decided to take another route and try to integrate my two passions Restaurants and Block-chain/Technology and with some feedback/help from the Dash Community, I hope to learn what exactly it will take to make these proposals a reality.

Thanks for reading a little back story of myself to get a better understand where I come from.

I have 2 proposals:
Phase 1. We have all 40+ restaurants to accept DASH as a form of payment.
That will include “Dine and Dash Gift Cards”.
Add different incentives like discounts to customers that use Dash.
Add Dash ATM machines at certain locations if not all.
Dash being adopted by all Restaurants everywhere with POS integration.

Phase 2. Open a Franchise of Fast Casual Restaurants that will be called “Dash of Greek”, "Dash of Italian", "Dash of Mexican" and so on.
That will Feature a Fresh Fast Cooking technique, The Fastest Beer Dispensers and
The Fastest Payment Service.
(this concept will be coming in soon in 2018)

I would like to be a part of the Dash Team to help Dash find a place in everyone’s wallet.
Looking forward to your responses.

Thank again.
Michael Houvardas

Last edited:
Hello, and welcome to the dash forums. Nice brief, and congratulations on running s successful business.

Are you after funding or are you after advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello, and welcome to the dash forums. Nice brief, and congratulations on running s successful business.

Are you after funding or are you after advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm looking for Advice and Funding. I personally will try Dash in one store for testing and see how it works in real life situation and get feed back from the customers. If successful we will roll it out to the rest of the stores.
I do not know how much something like this will cost me, nor how much it would be worth for Dash. Because in reality I need people to buy Dash whether its from me Personally, a Dash ATM or from an Exchange and these things aren't easily accessible for people that literally have no clue what Dash or what crypto is in general and when they hear anything that has to do with bitcoin, some think of it as a scam. So The only way I see it working as of right now is I purchase Dash and I have my employees that will be well versed in crypto to be able to explain to customers how this new way of paying for things is the future and how they can benefit from using it and marketing it correctly will play a Big role. Ill say this if Dash was still called Dark coin I wouldn't even be having this conversation right now. But Dine and Dash sound good to me.
But I would like to hear from you and the Dash community that know a lot more than I do on what would work best for a restaurant setting.

Last edited:
I could be wrong but I can't understand why you would put a dash ATM inside the actual restaurant. Surely ATMs should be in highly accessible and busy locations, not tucked away inside a restaurant? Can you perhaps get the ATM outside but close by? Or cut away in an outside window? Just a thought.

I could be wrong but I can't understand why you would put a dash ATM inside the actual restaurant. Surely ATMs should be in highly accessible and busy locations, not tucked away inside a restaurant? Can you perhaps get the ATM outside but close by? Or cut away in an outside window? Just a thought.

I think the idea is that a Dash ATM machine is a conversation piece and not seen in every restaurant (so far)! This will spark dinner conversation and there will be staff right there who can explain the idea and procedure to the customers. I think it's a great idea!

I also think putting a Dash ATM on one's own property is the thing to do as opposed to asking this businessman to buy or rent space elsewhere just to put up a dash ATM. Don't you?

That would be great also, some of the locations the ATM would have to be outside for convenience purposes but also the customers may need help understanding how it all works, and may feel more comfortable inside because they feel that the business is somewhat affiliated with the machine. I just feel its a way to build trust when using a product your not familiar with.

That would be great also, some of the locations the ATM would have to be outside for convenience purposes but also the customers may need help understanding how it all works, and may feel more comfortable inside because they feel that the business is somewhat affiliated with the machine. I just feel its a way to build trust when using a product your not familiar with.

Yes, I hear ya and maybe it's just me but I was weighing the cost of the ATM against how to maximize it's use.Maybe you're right.

I think the idea is that a Dash ATM machine is a conversation piece and not seen in every restaurant (so far)! This will spark dinner conversation and there will be staff right there who can explain the idea and procedure to the customers. I think it's a great idea!

I also think putting a Dash ATM on one's own property is the thing to do as opposed to asking this businessman to buy or rent space elsewhere just to put up a dash ATM. Don't you?
Thanks for the support! The goal is for the business to get lower transaction fees at the end of the day.

Last edited:
I think you could also do some sort of meal combo that includes a paper wallet with like $10 in dash. Or a some sort of meetup that includes food and you could educate about dash. You would see how many people become interested in it.

I met a guy recently that invested in crypto but he didn't know anyone else who had before meeting me. I think there is a lot more people like this out there.

You are probably a significant customer for the POS company. It would be interesting to see what it would take to get them to implement it. For the moment the US does not have a problem with money, if things go downhill you will be ready for it and customers will be able to pay you in more than one way.

I think you could also do some sort of meal combo that includes a paper wallet with like $10 in dash. Or a some sort of meetup that includes food and you could educate about dash. You would see how many people become interested in it.

I met a guy recently that invested in crypto but he didn't know anyone else who had before meeting me. I think there is a lot more people like this out there.

You are probably a significant customer for the POS company. It would be interesting to see what it would take to get them to implement it. For the moment the US does not have a problem with money, if things go downhill you will be ready for it and customers will be able to pay you in more than one way.
Yes its very few that really know about crypto. I have talked to a lot of people and its like I'm speaking Greek to them lol. I have only met 2 guys that come to the restaurant all the time first guy goes to me have you heard of Bitcoin and my eyes lit up from shock, I was like yeah, he tells me he had bought Bitcoin in 2008 needless to say he's a millionaire. 2nd guy he's comes in the restaurant all the time he comes in shows me his wallet he made 250,000 off Bitcoin. And I'm like dang I only made 40,000.
Dash need to find its niche, Bitcoin-Gold, Etherium-Gas, Lite-coin-Silver, Dash-_____? <FOOD? LOL Tell me what you think about the Certificate or paper wallet. I think that its a great Idea.

Attachments

• 2017-09-25 (2).png
    2017-09-25 (2).png
    365.1 KB · Views: 89
Here's something to think about 40 restaurants, lets just say the each restaurant makes an average of $3000 a day with a normal 1 person check being $10 comes to 300 people a day, times that by 40 restaurants, 12,000 people a day, 360,000 people a month, 4.3 million people in a year. Nothing is better than word of mouth and some well placed Dash Logos and a staff that knows and understands crypto. Game Over

Last edited:
Also Greece would also be a great market, I have Family that have businesses over there and there banking system is really messed up, for example people can only withdraw a certain amount each week from there bank account and the fear of the government taking your money to pay debts for example like Cypress. Greece and having taverns and gift shops accepting Dash hmm. Get a Souvlaki in a Dash!

You need to validate this idea using lean startup methods. I would start with Steve Blank, join the startup community then come back to this table with a better idea.

You need to validate this idea using lean startup methods. I would start with Steve Blank, join the startup community then come back to this table with a better idea.
I want to get in touch with whoever can help make the Idea of using crypto in restaurants a reality, Im new to this space.

I can help, look at the proposal (HaveOneOn.Me)I posted! I learned a lot about that industry during my own validation. If we can get some, traction in the community you are welcome to join the startup. I did not really understand the problem you were trying to solve other than the elimination of visa fees to from your bottom line?

Ok great! The visa, is a selling point to be able expand to even more restaurants outside my network. Which will increase Dash's volume and increase Dash's price even more. So it's a WIN WIN for everyone involved in Dash. Am I missing something?

Wouldn't it make better sense to get theLevelup, Dwolla, and cloverleaf POS for example to use Dash rather than you build Dine and Dash? They already have all a significant footprint. The point of the API is to drive Tablet POS systems adoption while at the same time working on the speed of the systems. For a class project I used Braintree, most of the code was already written. I was done with the JavaScript in about two hours. Unless you want to build a competing product for the restaurant industry? Are you looking to compete in the restaurant industry gift cards?

Yeah of course, Im open to really anything that works whether it's existing or something that we can come up ourselves. I'm looking to build Dash up and with my resources that are in place theres the possibility of building our own product to compete.

Back