• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Pre-Proposal: DASH General Counsel and Multi-Jurisdiction International Tax Guides

Should this pass?

• Yes, on the entire proposal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, on the entire proposal

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Yes to the tax guides, but No to the General Counsel part

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No to the tax guides, but Yes to the General Counsel part

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

John Flynn

Hello everyone. My name is John Flynn and I’m an attorney in Central Arkansas. I’ve been in solo practice for 18 years, representing primarily small businesses and consumers in bankruptcy, and estate and tax planning.

I first became involved in cryptocurrency in early 2011 when I started mining bitcoin with the GPUs on my office computers. I did that for about two weeks before I decided I was not beating the cost of electricity and I was concerned about ruining my GPUs. I’ve been a cryptocurrency user and investor since then and, since last summer, I've been using DASH as well.

I made a proposal last month for a U.S. focused Tax Guide, which, while it garnered a majority of MNO yes votes, did not pass with the required 451 vote margin.

After much thought and consideration, I believe that the proposal was not sufficiently broad to gain approval of the network. I therefore propose the following:

I will act as "General Counsel", so to speak, for the Dash network, and will prepare the U.S. Tax guide as previously proposed, but also be available for brief legal questions and advice for MNOs at any time. I will respond to emails within one business day (American holidays excluded). I will coordinate with attorneys and/or tax professionals in other countries to prepare tax guides for: Australia, New Zealand, Canada, the United Kingdom, Japan, China and Russia (if there are other countries with a need for this, please discuss below). My belief is that approximately $24,000.00 USD per country would be needed to be allocated for each country's Guide.

This proposal will cover the preparation of the tax guides and one year as General Counsel. I will commit to provide up to 500 hours of legal work for MNOs related to Dash issues, as needed, during said year.

I will publish the tax guides in the public domain, with the U.S. tax guide being published by June 15th, 2018, and all remaining guides by December 15, 2018.

The proposal breakdown is as follows:

8 Tax Guides x 39 Dash each = 312 Dash

One Year as General Counsel = 244 Dash

Proposal Fee = 5 Dash

Total = 561 Dash

For the Treasury's sake, I would propose to spread that out over 3 months at 187 Dash per month.

Please discuss. I appreciate any thoughts or questions.

John Flynn

Due to the inexplicable failure of the last proposal, I would need to be substantially assisted in this proposal, and would request contributions to XqXtez4p8kv7otVM1yWwmojcjcp9gLKn8W

I've already received 0.01 Dash but would need the lion's share on this one. I funded the last proposal myself and never asked for help with that one.

If successful in this proposal, I will contribute 5 Dash (or at least whatever amount is donated towards my proposal fee) to one or more 501(c)(3) charities. I will post which ones I contribute to within 30 days after a successful proposal.

I can't get over the price

Well then what are your thoughts? Dash’s price has been cut in half since my last pre-proposal. And under this idea I’m adding 7 countries which I’ll have to arrange for myself plus I’m proposing to stand ready to answer inquiries and possibly do some legal work. And I thought splitting it up over three months would make it more palatable. And it seems there is always more than 187 Dash left unallocated so it wouldn’t detract from other projects.

Well then what are your thoughts? Dash’s price has been cut in half since my last pre-proposal. And under this idea I’m adding 7 countries which I’ll have to arrange for myself plus I’m proposing to stand ready to answer inquiries and possibly do some legal work. And I thought splitting it up over three months would make it more palatable. And it seems there is always more than 187 Dash left unallocated so it wouldn’t detract from other projects.

I'm not going to hog this conversation. Just to say, imo, your previous pre-proposal failed because you jumped in too quickly. I don't think the level of engagement / trust was sufficient. Now, here you are again, asking for a lot of money when the community doesn't really know you that well. Sorry, I know that probably seems a bit blunt but I think successful proposals of this size either have good rep and / or lots of energy / passion.

Breaking it up into three payments doesn't really help. Imo this price drop is quickly approaching oversold. The sooner we get Ethereum at number one, the sooner we can get back to business as usual. (that's not an endorsement of Ethereum, it's just practicality).

I think at this point, you're best bet is to give the community something for free.. not because we're stingy but simply it garners trust and confidence. But perhaps I'm very wrong so I'll just leave it at that and allow others to comment.

I'm not going to hog this conversation. Just to say, imo, your previous pre-proposal failed because you jumped in too quickly. I don't think the level of engagement / trust was sufficient. Now, here you are again, asking for a lot of money when the community doesn't really know you that well. Sorry, I know that probably seems a bit blunt but I think successful proposals of this size either have good rep and / or lots of energy / passion.

Breaking it up into three payments doesn't really help. Imo this price drop is quickly approaching oversold. The sooner we get Ethereum at number one, the sooner we can get back to business as usual. (that's not an endorsement of Ethereum, it's just practicality).

I think at this point, you're best bet is to give the community something for free.. not because we're stingy but simply it garners trust and confidence. But perhaps I'm very wrong so I'll just leave it at that and allow others to comment.

OK, I appreciate your comments.

I believe my willingness to "give the community" the proposal last time at the cost of nearly $5K to myself should show some commitment. I didn't dream of asking for help with the proposal fee at that time, and I was only asking for 21 Dash on top of the fee. So I'd like to think that counts for something. There was no other proposal that failed that wasn't either something where the proposer said "Vote No" because they had made a mistake or were reworking it or that was a ridiculous ask like the Gym thing.

I garnered the impression that the only real opposition to my last proposal was that it was strictly US focused, and there seemed to be people who didn't want to fund anything (even though it wasn't coming out of their pocket) that only benefited the U.S. (even though one could argue it benefited the ecosystem because lawyers in other countries might see the successful proposal and be willing to propose similar projects in their own countries.) To that end, I have come up with a revised proposal wherein I will write a US tax guide and manage the production of tax guides for a number of other countries, at my expense. That, of course, is going to be more expensive than the last proposal.

If you have a suggestion for a different price or for a different scope of the project I would be interested to hear it. I would also be interested to hear if you think something where I manage the publication of other countries' tax guides by working with other attorneys myself would be a good idea or more likely to pass than the last proposal, etc.

OK, I appreciate your comments.

I believe my willingness to "give the community" the proposal last time at the cost of nearly $5K to myself should show some commitment. I didn't dream of asking for help with the proposal fee at that time, and I was only asking for 21 Dash on top of the fee. So I'd like to think that counts for something. There was no other proposal that failed that wasn't either something where the proposer said "Vote No" because they had made a mistake or were reworking it or that was a ridiculous ask like the Gym thing.

I garnered the impression that the only real opposition to my last proposal was that it was strictly US focused, and there seemed to be people who didn't want to fund anything (even though it wasn't coming out of their pocket) that only benefited the U.S. (even though one could argue it benefited the ecosystem because lawyers in other countries might see the successful proposal and be willing to propose similar projects in their own countries.) To that end, I have come up with a revised proposal wherein I will write a US tax guide and manage the production of tax guides for a number of other countries, at my expense. That, of course, is going to be more expensive than the last proposal.

If you have a suggestion for a different price or for a different scope of the project I would be interested to hear it. I would also be interested to hear if you think something where I manage the publication of other countries' tax guides by working with other attorneys myself would be a good idea or more likely to pass than the last proposal, etc.

You make a valid point but, honestly, I need to shut up and give others a chance to say something.

Back