Welcome to the Dash Forum!

Please sign up to discuss the most innovative cryptocurrency!

Pre-Proposal: Dash Explorer Android App

Discussion in 'Pre + Budget Proposal Discussions' started by roomservice, Apr 28, 2017.

1. roomservice

roomservice New Member

Dear DASH community,

today i wanna submit a Pre-Proposal for a possible Dash Explorer Android App, would love to hear your feedback and discuss if this idea is worth a funding.

PDF Version: https://goo.gl/erurrf

About me:

I'am fairly new to the Dash community - about 2 month now. Guess you can call me a "switcher" since not long ago, with all the struggle about the Bitcoin scalability issues - i looked into alternatives on the crypto-market and found DASH. The self founding government system is a true innovation and in my opinion, it's only a matter of time until this currency conquers the crypto market.

As an Android developer it's hard to find use cases where there aren't already lots of apps out there. Looking into available apps that cover DASH as a cryptocurrency - there are already great wallet apps out there.

The basic idea for this app came, when i recognized that it can be really annoying to check my wallet balances which aren't stored on my phone with the private key. I don't really want to carry larger amounts of DASH in a mobile wallet for saftey reasons - but how cool would it be, if there would be an app that informs me about me balance or incomming transactions of my offline wallet (i use a Nano Ledger S).

That was the moment i started investigating how an such app could be possible and what improvments on top of the wallet watcher feature could be made - the result is the current Pre-Proposal.

Here are two demo apps, that created in my spare time:
    Popular Movies
    App that pulls data from APIs and presents them in a mobile friendly way (tablet support included)

MegaTimer
    App that can be used to run and manage unlimited timer at the same time (Notifications included)

As i said before - i would love to hear your feedback on this!

• Like Like x 2
  2. joezippy

joezippy Member

No support here as any missing functions should be added to the DashCentral app instead... You can get w/ @rango if you want to brainstorm a different proposal for DashCenral integration...

3. Mark Mason

Mark Mason Well-known Member

Great job on the PDF proposal project report @roomservice . There are a lots of additional features and functionality with this app so I would strongly advise everyone to give it a good read and go through the details.

I'm very excited about this project. I've already had a few Skype chats with Christian aka @roomservice to discuss some ideas and I think this project has great potential.

Christian was open and considerate to my feedback and suggestions. So please don't feel shy to express your views as Christian fully understands that he is providing a service and solution for the community.

I look forward to reading comments and making sure this app solution is the best it can be for the Dash community :)

4. Mark Mason

@mastermined had the fantastic idea of adding features and functionality so it performs like http://blockfolio.com/ app where you can insert how many Dash you hold and it will reflect in price plus also have a Dash Force News feed. Custom alerts and push notifications are a welcome addition as well.

If you have other ideas for features that you would like to see (especially masternode owners). Please comment and contribute so we can make this app great.

5. roomservice

roomservice New Member

DashCentral app in its current state is specificly targeted for masternode owners, for what it works really great - no doubt about that.

The idea of Dash Explorer is to bring both useful information and usability about DASH to the Android eco-system in order to improve DASH on the smartphone market and bring many more user who want to use dash as a currency.

That's why i don't know if it's a good idea to improve an app which is designed for a few thousand people when we could make an app which will benefit millions (masternode owners included) on the mass market.
    Maybe I'am missing something and DashCentral app gets a whole overhault in order to get into the mass market.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mark Mason

I like the fact it will have currency and language support. It would be good to consolidate as many features as possible.

7. joezippy

joezippy Member

Maybe... Good Luck!

• Like Like x 1
  8. kris jaco

kris jaco New Member

would be good :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. roomservice

roomservice New Member

Thanks for your feedback so far!

Already started creating the app - will go for a proposal with a working app. At this time, i can tell how much work was done and how much to ask in case of funding.

Here are some early screenshots of the app, if you are interested:
    • Basic market data and Dash Force News are done
    • Navigation Bar with give you a sneak peak on those use cases in first release

[​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mark Mason

Fantastic progress, app is looking really good :)

11. dmitriybtc

dmitriybtc Active Member

Really great proposal. On top of the fact that it will be beneficial for our network and Android users (myself included), you've made a really fascinating job writing down the actual proposal. I love the clarity and your style. Hope you'll get enough people who can support it :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. GrandMasterDash

GrandMasterDash Well-known Member
    Masternode Owner/Operator

Can it alert for outgoing transactions? i.e. someone just hacked my wallet

13. roomservice

roomservice New Member

Sure, i'll add it to my todo list - both incomming and outgoing transactions and an option where you can configure in which notifications you are interested in. Great feedback guys, keep going :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. GrandMasterDash

GrandMasterDash Well-known Member
    Masternode Owner/Operator

15. HashEngineering

HashEngineering Active Member

How will this app keep track of a Wallet?
    1. Through individual addresses
    2. Through xpub (for HD wallets)?

I have worked with an app that was watching addresses/xpub for a different coin that was forked from Bitcoin. The original app for Bitcoin made queries to Blockchain.info and I modified it to use chainz.cryptoid.info. The xpub api was added to chainz for Groestlcoin, but may work (or could be made to work) for Dash also.

16. roomservice

roomservice New Member

The app will support individual addresses (1) in the very first version. You could copy / paste an address or browse the blockchain and add it into a list of "watched" addresses.

Adding support for HD wallets (2) could be a feature for later versions - if community wants it. The api used, seems to support it - according to docs: https://www.blockcypher.com/dev/dash/#hierarchical-deterministic-hd-wallets
    I'am not sure yet how HD wallet support would work out from a user experience perspective - since you have to import the extended public key from your HD wallet (which could be an privacy issue).
    Haven't investigated yet, how easy normal joe can obtain his extended public key from an HD desktop or hardware wallet.

• Like Like x 1
  17. HashEngineering

HashEngineering Active Member

Those are good points: privacy and how easy or hard it is to get the extended public key out of an app.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ec1warc1

ec1warc1 Active Member

I bookmark a webpage on https://chainz.cryptoid.info for this functionality. Even so, it sounds interesting. I don't use a smart phone yet. I know, I am from a totally different world. Laptop only.