Welcome to the Dash Forum!

Please sign up to discuss the most innovative cryptocurrency!

Pre-proposal: Dash Branch of the Blockchain Library

Discussion in 'Pre + Budget Proposal Discussions' started by Blockchain Library, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Blockchain Library

Blockchain Library New Member

Please view the improved submission below. Thank you for your feedback.

Summary
    Amount
    : 100 Dash
    Timeline: 1 month: create Dash Branch website and set up systems, 2-6 months continually add content.
    Total Hours expected for project to complete: About 1,200 hours (Split among one web staff + coordinator, one writer, one research assistant / social media manager, and one graphic designer).
    Proposal Goal: State a summary of your goal: Fund a Dash Library Branch to create new resources and curate existing ones for the Dash community.

Hello, I would like to create a Dash Library Branch dedicated to the Dash community and platform at the unique domain name https://dash.blockchainlibrary.org/. This would be useful as a way to grow, curate, and promote the Dash community globally. While there are already many resources on Dash the focus of the library branch is bring trusted curation. This will help new people entering the community and to make it easier to discover and navigate the resources. Ultimately, this will grow the Dash community and its adoption. The idea of having a community fund their own section really helps the Library scale and Dash would benefit from a relationship with resources that are curating trust for new users. I am starting with a request for six months funding to support the project and I hope we could continue to grow, renew, and foster the relationship further over time.

Deliverables/Job description of the proposal:

(please note I am putting costs in USD, ideally I would denominate in Dash)

Create Digital Library Branch for Dash on Web Server: Server costs for increased capacity, setup of Wordpress CMS and plugins, add topic voting plugin for Dash topics, create and configuration of RSS aggregator plugin and content sections dedicated to Dash. $2000 USD

Branding the Library Branch: Hire a graphic designer to create original graphics for the SmartCash library branch, including branded items available to purchase online: $600 USD

Write New Articles on Dash for the Library Branch: Write 4 unique articles per month of 1,000 to 1,500 words included citations of primary sources, for a total of 24 articles on SmartCash. Articles will include topics suggested by the community as well as on the fundamental principles and unique technology of Dash. I would like one or two to also be interviews with active community members / founders. Professional content writer at $12/hour and approximately 7.5hours per article (including original research, editing, formatting, unique image, publishing and comment moderation) $360 / month * 6 months = $2,160 USD

Curate Other Articles on Dash for the Library Branch: Create citation lists and a link directory for important writing on Dash, books, articles, events (not created by the library branch itself). $600 / month for staff time dedicated to this for $3,600 USD

RSS News Tracker + Daily Newsletter Digest: Create a feedly integration to combine RSS feeds, Google News Alerts, and Reddit discussions into one location at the Dash Library Branch website. Add automated tagging using important keywords in cryptocurrency. Curate, maintain, and promote the service. Premium API service fees and a WordPress plugin subscription are required. $500/month for six months $3,000 USD

Hire a Research Assistant and Social Media Manager to curate content focused on Dash on Twitter: Stipend for a Graduate Student at Georgetown University’s Communication, Culture, and Technology Program. $500 per month for six months, $3,000 USD

Recoup submission fee: 5 dash.

Branch endowment:
    Adding funds into a cold wallet to support additional support of the system once it is in place to continue to support the Dash Community through this resource (server expenses & staff time to maintain the digital library branch). Also, any remainder of Dash not needed to fund proposal based off price fluctuations during the funding period will be added. 60 dash.

Total cost for 6 months of support of the Dash Branch of Blockchain Library: $14,360 USD + 65 dash.

My Current/Past Dash related experience: This is my first experience with Dash proposals, but I have a strong background and drive to promote the community. I have a MA in Communication, Culture, and Technology from Georgetown University and seven years of experience in library science and information management. He will be pursuing the MSc in Digital Currencies from the University of Nicosia in 2018. My interest in blockchain and cryptocurrency stems from philosophy of technology and the change to communities brought about by innovative technologies at socially relevant times. Dash seems really promising and I would like to share it with the world more widely. The writer I am working (another librarian with a lot of experience) with has marketing other communities and written articles about their technologies, written interviews, etc.

Possible FAQs:
    How will you decide what topics to write on? I think there could be a democratic aspect to this by having a voting system on the Dash Hub at Blockchain Library to identify possible topics. This would help to discover what topics are important, what technologies of Dash are unique to write about, and who would be interested in being interviewed. Some things like the lower transaction costs and speed and uses for people globally may be good topics.

Why not create a completely new website domain? Having a connection to the blockchain library helps with the trusted branding and improved SEO so people will find materials on the Dash site.

Who are you going to hire to help with this project? I can share my profile and the team’s profiles. I am already in discussion with them. They are interested but funding can help us make time to work on this project apart from our regular jobs, studies, and family duties!

What will you do if the price halves? If the price doubles? : If the price tanks we may need to reduce the support length to four months and then submit another proposal for funds (I can also find out if potential hires would accept Dash directly and not at a USD rate). If it doubles we would put it into a kind of “Dash Branch” endowment to support ongoing server costs in case a future renewal of support does not come from the Dash community.

Conclusions: I hope the Dash community finds this useful to complement their existing website.

Thank you for your time for reading my pre-proposal!

Sincerely,

Mark Hakkarinen
    Founder, Blockchain Library

#1 Blockchain Library, Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  2. joemoraca

joemoraca Member

I sort of like the idea of a curated list of Dash resources but in this day of google it is just so easy to find things. Looking at your site I see that many of the links on this page https://blockchainlibrary.org/2017/11/most-cited-dash-publications/ have nothing to do with Dash - they are citations from google books from well before "Dash" the crypto currency was born - just reading the titles tells me that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Blockchain Library

Thanks for looking at that list! I'm taking a looking at the results closer right now and will refine a search strategy as some of the terms "dash" are catching broad topics not related.
    This means there would be value in curating by hand a very good list, and that takes more time but is much better than even Google or pulling citations using refined search strategies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Blockchain Library

Hello, I have updated the listing with a better refinement and it is viewable here. Dash may not be the primary topic of a paper showing up in this list (often they just mention Dash). To make an improved listed it would require more refinement and checking by hand the articles or adding and refining metrics to determine primary topics of papers. This can be done, but it is also an impetus to reach out to the Dash community to fund this work! Thank you for your feedback again. Any other thoughts?

#4 Blockchain Library, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  5. Blockchain Library

Does anyone else have feedback? I was hoping to engage the community on their feedback before submitting a proposal. A proposal is fairly pricey so I wanted to incorporate ideas ahead of time.