• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Pre-proposal: Dash/Bitcoin improvement protocols

QuantumExplorer

Dash Core Group
It's come to my attention that we seem to lack a repository detailing the implementation and modifications of the various bips (bitcoin improvement protocols). Even though this was fine when you have a small dev group we have started to grow to such a size where lack of this is no longer feasible.

Detailed documentation on the bips are very important for 3rd party wallet and services that will later integrate into the network. Having a central place where these bips are well documented should prove to be a huge time saver for core and non-core devs.

As an example when building the iOS wallet any feature even slightly changed from bitcoin I needed to reverse engineer from C code. 3rd party services have been doing the same up till now, or asking on the dev slack. This takes a lot of time away from other people.

The original bitcoin bips are located at https://github.com/bitcoin/bips

This proposal is to set a bounty for a fork and update on the documentation of these bips as well as a status report on each bip (completed/abandoned/partially supported) and if we don't support it, should we? There are ~100 bips, so this could take some time.

My role will be find someone to carry out this task, manage, and help them. This is tedious work that many people are not qualified to do, but if you feel qualified send me a PM. I would probably only make the proposal to the network after having found someone that could do this.

Suggestions to the bounty amount welcome. I was thinking 120 DASH. I was also thinking of taking 15% of the bounty as I'd be managing and putting in work myself. Please mention if you are against that.

After this work on bips is done, we can move forward in creating the same for dash (dips).

I'm always confused as to which BIPs make it into the Dash protocol and which don't and why. Maybe the BIPs and DIPS could be documented at the same time, with some sort of explanation of the relationship between the two.

I'm always confused as to which BIPs make it into the Dash protocol and which don't and why. Maybe the BIPs and DIPS could be documented at the same time, with some sort of explanation of the relationship between the two.

+1, I was thinking along the same lines but got hung up on this bringing a whole new meaning to "buy on the dips" ;)

Well DIPS would be for everything that DASH has supplemented on top of bitcoin. That's going to be a lot of work (we're talking months). Let's start with the BIPS, and when they are done, move on to the DIPS. However if I have more than 1 person interested in actually doing the work, I could make either make a joint proposal or 2 proposals at the same time to go quicker.

Well DIPS would be for everything that DASH has supplemented on top of bitcoin. That's going to be a lot of work (we're talking months). Let's start with the BIPS, and when they are done, move on to the DIPS. However if I have more than 1 person interested in actually doing the work, I could make either make a joint proposal or 2 proposals at the same time to go quicker.
Both at the same time would be good. I'm thinking some sort of excel spreadsheet that has all the BIPs, a column that explains what the BIP does in simple terms, then another column that explains whether or not it becomes a DIP, and why. And then maybe another list of DIPs that don't have their origin in a BIP. Does that make sense?

The more I think about this, the more potential it has. The BIPs are kind of crude compared to the governance systems power, they're an essential starting point but DIPs could be incredibly powerful. One step at a time though... I'd also be interested in hearing how you plan to work BIPs in relation to Dash, a fork of the github project and the status changed as needed?

Back