• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Pre-proposal: Dash Advisory Board

awesomedash

This proposal aims to address this issue:
Governance fails at producing cohesive, strategic decision making and resource allocation #6

There has been many discussions around this topic, the problem and potential solutions, in the past and some of them linked in the above page. Here, we propose building an advisory board including 5 to 10 members that are responsible to strategically think about Dash and its long-term future holistically and advise the community through regular reports about the overall Dash direction, existing proposals and areas that require more attention (request for proposals). The members of community are selected from MNOs through the process described below. In cases that the board needs to benefit from external parties expertise the board should submit a separate proposal for the required budget.
* Board members are not paid by the community.
* Board members should hold weekly meetings. The membership of a member that doesn't attend the board meetings for a month without any advanced notice would be considered as cancelled and the community is informed about it.
* The meetings and discussions within the board should be as transparent as possible (unless in rare cases where the discussion content cannot be public). This transparency also helps the community to better understand each member's contribution to the discussions and overall process.
* Any member may resign from the board at any time, which may require selecting a new member if the the total number of board members becomes less than 5.
* An MNO who are willing to become a board member should submit a proposal, which needs to be approved by the community.
* A selected MNO will be a board member for N years. (N = 2)
* An MNO board membership can be cancelled by the community through a proposal.
* The board is not a legal entity or does not have any power but its overall existence has been approved by the community. The quality of board reports and advices are what eventually defines how much influence and credibility it would have to the Dash community.

Budget: 5 Dash

[Discord #pre-proposal thread]
[Discord #mno thread]

Last edited:
Interesting idea. Not sure adding another governance body would really make a difference, but worth exploring.

One question: why would you limit it to MNOs? There may be very enthusiastic, valuable and insightful community members who weren't lucky enough to scoop up a masternode in the early years when it cost a few bucks and are not rich enough to set one up now.

One question: why would you limit it to MNOs? There may be very enthusiastic, valuable and insightful community members who weren't lucky enough to scoop up a masternode in the early years when it cost a few bucks and are not rich enough to set one up now.

There should be a bar in order to ensure that a member is participating in the network interest. Now the question is how many Dash? And how could you verify that? Being MNO is the bar we have for providing the Dash network services. Arguably being a member of advisory board should have the same or higher requirements. Also note that, any other Dash community can still contribute and provide input to the board through different channels.

Fabio on #mno said:
First impression: sounds like quite some work for nothing? You don't have any power to do anything, you don't get paid and you still can get everything you say or do torn apart by other MNOs who just sit at home and do nothing? Sounds easier to stay here and comment on what those advisors advise, no?

So, you see the benefit for Dash just don't see enough incentive for people to become a member, is that your point? I believe there is a material difference with the current state when a group of people are selected by the community (which means more qualified people, higher approval rate of advices and goes beyond just a few channels that not all MNOs there or have time to check and read all messages constantly), spend time and focus on topics, discuss them in a regular fashion and produce reports. So, if you are an MNO who has invested millions and expect to see that grow to hundreds of millions in a few years then that's your main incentive. One reason that I didn't include any payment to the members is that MNOs are very sensitive to any payment from the budget so that makes the proposal sell harder. Another reason was that I naturally expect that the selected members pay rate to be much higher than whatever we decide to pay here. If paying the members is the main objection, we can devise a reward mechanism for the members. For example for a particular board there will be a reward proposal at the end of their term , if the community is happy for their service, that pays X dash to each member or something like that. Alternatively members can be donated or paid directly by other MNOs or the rest of community. I didn't want to too much complicate the initial proposal as we can have adjustments down the road if necessary. Right now it is important to first demonstrate that this board can provide valuable advice to the community which can produce real impact.

Since we're already paying DashForce (DashPress) too much for their meager services, why don't we just transfer this responsibility onto them? And they are already so knowledgable with regards to the DAO. They can pick their own members, hold meetings, and produce the reports you described.

Since we're already paying DashForce (DashPress) too much for their meager services, why don't we just transfer this responsibility onto them? And they are already so knowledgable with regards to the DAO. They can pick their own members, hold meetings, and produce the reports you described.
I'm trying to understand how what this pre-proposal suggests is connected to what DashPress does in terms of responsibility/type of work/team structure/scope. I don't see the connection and in fact they are very different in all aspects. Or maybe I am missing something?!

BTW, are you in the #mno channel? We recently had a *lot* of discussions on this topic and the final conclusion was to submit this proposal in this cycle.

I'm trying to understand how what this pre-proposal suggests is connected to what DashPress does in terms of responsibility/type of work/team structure/scope. I don't see the connection and in fact they are very different in all aspects. Or maybe I am missing something?!

BTW, are you in the #mno channel? We recently had a *lot* of discussions on this topic and the final conclusion was to submit this proposal in this cycle.

I am being facetious about DashPress here. My advice to you is to not waste any Dash on this proposal. It's a bad idea. You are not going to improve things by creating a committee that issues reports. Things are moving too fast. And your basic premise that "Governance fails at producing cohesive, strategic decision making and resource allocation" is also false.

I am being facetious about DashPress here. My advice to you is to not waste any Dash on this proposal. It's a bad idea. You are not going to improve things by creating a committee that issues reports. Things are moving too fast. And your basic premise that "Governance fails at producing cohesive, strategic decision making and resource allocation" is also false.

Re the problem ("Governance fails at producing cohesive, strategic decision making and resource allocation") existence, Do you think that strategic planning and identifying issues are happening in Dash right now (excluding whatever is in the scope of DCG, DIF, etc.)? Do you think that important proposals that should be submitted are being submitted? Do you think Dash has a strategy in dealing with competition and ensuring it preserves its competitive advantage in the long run? Do you think that Dash network is growing fast enough that we can extrapolate a promising future?

Re the solution: if you happen to agree on the problem what solution would you suggest?
The effectiveness of this board is really dependent on its members quality and I really hope that we could attract very qualified candidates from MNOs (or their delegates) to join the advisory board.
BTW, no Dash is wasted, it is just 5 Dash, which is the proposal fee. Is it all your concern? but not for example whether Dash grows such that its price would be 100x or 1000x in 5-10 years?!

I don't see a problem. The proposal system is working wonderfully IMHO. I don't always agree with what's funded, but for the most part I do. DCG has been doing an awesome job, and now they are ramping up marketing just in time for Evo MVP. Even the DIF, which was struggling, is now actually working as designed and successfully deploying funds.

Back