• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Possible Bug: Next Payment on DashMasternode tool not progressing

john smithson

Hello, I have a masternode. A couple of weeks ago I had problems and thanks to the help from this community (@strophy in particular) we were able to fix it. Now it seems to be working alright. And the masternode started paying back again. At least it paid one time. Then now we are approaching the second time when the masternode should be paying and there seem to be a weird issue.

Basically yesterday I watched on the DMT, and it told me the masternode was going to be paid in 6 hours. Fine, great. Then this morning I checked again if it had been paid and it told me it was going to be paid in ... 6 hours. That felt weird, so I did something else for a couple of hours, and checkd again, and it told me it was going to be paid in 6 hours. I checked the minutes and took a screenshot: 6 hours and 44 minutes. I went out to do some shopping came back a few hours later, checked again: 6 hours and 42 minutes.

Here are the 2 screenshot. And as you can see 2 hours have passed between them and the Next Payment only moved of 2 minutes.

Screen Shot 2019-07-05 10.26.03
Screen%20Shot%202019-07-05%20at%2010.26.03.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-07-05 at 12.44.21
Screen%20Shot%202019-07-05%20at%2012.44.21.jpg

What is going on?

Thanks,
Pietro

Some more hours are passing, and the time is not progressing, on the other side, I have noticed that the number of blocks between the last block that was assigned to my masternode and this one use to be on average 4830 circa. Now the new block "should" be after only 4300. The mystery deepens.

More time passed, still at 6 hours and 42 minutes. Now I checked the block# which should be assigned to me, and it has changed.
So somehow my masternode place in the queue is not fixed.

More time passed, still at 6 hours and 42 minutes. Now I checked the block# which should be assigned to me, and it has changed.
So somehow my masternode place in the queue is not fixed.

If you want to know when exactly your masternode will get paid then start a normal qt wallet, let it fully sync and check the masternodes tab and fill in the ip address of your masternode.
This will show the "Next Payment" tab.

Next Payment block - Current block = number of blocks to go before next payment. 100 blocks roughly equals 4 hours.
But even this is not fixed, as the Next Payment will change over time (gets a few blocks less). Which means number of blocks to go will slightly be less over time as well.

I suspect Dash Central & DMT use standard 8.5 days to calculate next payment and are therefore a bit inaccurate.

Edit : just out of curiousity, if you use a different connection with DMT (Settings --> suzy instead of alice) does this help with providing a different (more correct) Next Payment when you do a "get status" ?

Last edited:
Thanks. Following your suggestion I just moved to alice.dash-masternode-tool.org, so far it is giving me still the same time to next payment.

My understanding was that my masternode had a fully synced wallet. In any case here the problem seem to be that the "Next Payment Block" seem to change, and not by a few blocks. To keep the time till next payment still it must change by the speed at which the blocks are mined (as you said 100 blocks every 4 hours).

The weird thing is that this is happening now with version 14.0.1. with the previous version I did not had this problem. The system would tell me how many days and hours were missing from the payment, and (give or take a couple of hourse) it was very precise. I also checked on dashninja, but there they only list the previous paid block. Not the next block at which I should be paid. My understanding is that with the deterministic blocks, now all the masternode are in line, and you get assigned your position immediately after you are paid the previous time. It would be interesting to find out the complete list of all the masternodes. As well as seeing if, like I am sliding back, there are others that are sliding forward. By logic it should be so.

The good news is that I just got paid.
The bad news is that the Dash Masternode Tool is STILL telling me I will be paid again in 6 hours 42 minutes. There is definitely a bug.

Can someone who knows how to do it place a bug report with a link to here, please.

Thanks.

@Bertrand256
is the dev for DMT
maybe he can comment or check if possible “bug”
(i will ping him on slack)

My understanding is that with the deterministic blocks, now all the masternode are in line, and you get assigned your position immediately after you are paid the previous time.

If not the PoSeBan feature, precise calculation of the next payment block would not be a problem, however, the fact that masternodes that are in the queue in front of yours may have changed the PoSeBan status (which can not be predicted in advance) means that the place in the payment queue of your masternode may change. For this reason, the value displayed in the "Next payment" field should be treated as an estimate and not the exact block number when the payment will take place.

Though the "Next payment" calculation algorithm adopted in DMT takes into account the current status of all the masternodes located in front of yours, it is still possible that in some specific situation the assumption is incorrect and the results differ from what Dash Core presents. I don't have exact information related to your case so I will not be able to analyse the cause, but I will take a look at the algorithm once again when I find some time.

When you look at the next payment expressed in terms of time, you must also take into account that sometimes it happens that blocks are mined more/less often than the calculated average of 2.5 minutes. In short term the difference can be significant.

Hi @Bertrand256 thank you very much for looking into this. Yes, I am aware the calculation can be imprecise but not of so much. What is happening here is that the program is consistently saying that I need to be paid in 6 hours and x minutes, with x slowly moving from 44 minutes to 39 minutes. Nearly of one minute a day. Add this that this was consistent even through a payment. Suddenly I was paid. And the DashMasternodeTool kept saying that I was going to be paid in 6 hours and 42 minutes, and said it also after I was paid and checked again (19 minutes after I was paid)

This cannot be caused by masternodes in front having the PoSeBan status.
If not for any other reason that even if there were so many masternodes PoSeBan-ned (and dashninja does not show it) then the prediction would not be consistent and it would simply jump back and forth.

So yes, I appreciate you looking into it. Feel free to DM me directly if you need some more data.

Thanks for the data, it helped to pin down the problem. There was an issue with calculating the next payment block when a masternode received PoSeBan in the past and a few others conditions were met. It's fixed in v0.9.25-hotfix1:
https://github.com/Bertrand256/dash-masternode-tool/releases/tag/v0.9.25-hotfix1

YESSS! Back to Normality. Thanks, now it works.

P.S. The link that appeared on the DMT did not work, as it sent me to:
https://github.com/Bertrand256/dash....25/DashMasternodeTool_0.9.25-hotfix1.mac.dmg

instead of:
https://github.com/Bertrand256/dash...ix1/DashMasternodeTool_0.9.25-hotfix1.mac.dmg

Cheers

Hi Bertrand,

Looks like you need to adjust the download links from within DMT, its also not working with the windows version.

Back