• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Poor man's hardware wallet -- bitkey port to Dash

jimbursch

Name brand hardware wallets are expensive. We need a good quality cheap alternative.

BitKey ( https://bitkey.io/ ) can turn a USB thumb drive into a decent, secure alternative, just for the cost of the thumb drive, but it is not available for Dash.

Here is a discussion on the topic at GitHub:
https://github.com/bitkey/bitkey/issues/38

where it was suggested that a bounty could be put up to port BitKey to Dash.

Is this a good idea?

hmmmm
is that 100% save - TREZOR Style ?

Surely there is a backup system. Any wallet could fail and I am sure you have backups to protect against this.

I mean compare with hardware wallet, normal flash drive fail more easily. [emoji4]

使用Tapatalk 發送

Maybe I've got this wrong but I don't see the point. Why not just get a secondhand laptop and dedicate it for dash use only? More so, the dash core wallet won't even exist this time next year because most full nodes won't be able to keep up with the transactions going through MNs. But there will be a need for a small app / phone app that manages MNs, so it would be nice to have a small dedicated odroid with it's own screen...

Of course that is an option, but a thumb drive is still cheaper and installing bitkey on it is still easier.

I guess a two thumb drive setup and mirrored contents would be okay. You'd need two thumb drives because most of them are very unreliable compared to spinning disks, SSDs and SD cards.

The more options the better ofc... but on the other hand, both Trezor and Ledger Nano S can handle multiple crypto out of the box and they also can be used as an u2f-token. As for the price, Trezor is ~$100 and Ledger Nano S is ~$70, so I really wouldn't call them "expensive" tbh.

I'm with @UdjinM6 on this. More options are better, but don't see the cost of a Ledger as much of an impediment. If you have enough crypto to need the security, $70 doesn't seem like a lot to protect it. Also, to get the maximum security out of bitkey you need to go for the air gap method. This requires a second device that you never connect to the internet. If you add in the cost of the second device you probably just negated your savings compared to Ledger.

I'm with @UdjinM6 on this. More options are better, but don't see the cost of a Ledger as much of an impediment. If you have enough crypto to need the security, $70 doesn't seem like a lot to protect it. Also, to get the maximum security out of bitkey you need to go for the air gap method. This requires a second device that you never connect to the internet. If you add in the cost of the second device you probably just negated your savings compared to Ledger.

100% agree as well
+
i am more concerned about security than low costs !
better stick to what we have (and know it is secure and working) than coming out with some low cost which might not be as save (and we end of with a mess - hack attacks)

Back