• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Pool difficulty setting

Dezvail

I would like to better understand the pool difficulty setting. I currently have the following difficulty settings configured for my pool (miners.fi, 0% fee):
Code:
    "ports": {
        "3333": {
            "diff": 0.01
        },
    "3334": {
        "diff": 0.1
    },
        "3335": {
            "diff": 0.01,
            "varDiff": {
                "minDiff": 8,
                "maxDiff": 512,
                "targetTime": 15,
                "retargetTime": 90,
                "variancePercent": 30
            }
        }

},
I think I got an idea what these mean in theory but I have experimented with different settings and different hashing power miners but the results seem to be quite the same. Could someone please explain whats the difference in practice? And how about, what would be the typical difficulty settings a Darkcoin mining pool should offer considering different users?

Dez

I would like to better understand the pool difficulty setting. I currently have the following difficulty settings configured for my pool (miners.fi, 0% fee):
Code:
    "ports": {
        "3333": {
            "diff": 0.01
        },
    "3334": {
        "diff": 0.1
    },
        "3335": {
            "diff": 0.01,
            "varDiff": {
                "minDiff": 8,
                "maxDiff": 512,
                "targetTime": 15,
                "retargetTime": 90,
                "variancePercent": 30
            }
        }

},
I think I got an idea what these mean in theory but I have experimented with different settings and different hashing power miners but the results seem to be quite the same. Could someone please explain whats the difference in practice? And how about, what would be the typical difficulty settings a Darkcoin mining pool should offer considering different users?

Dez
In theory (and from my old practice of mining some scrypt coins):
If low power miners get too high diff shares they will submit stale shares most of a time which are useless.
If high power miners get too low diff shares they will waste more time to get new work (download shares) than to actually solving it so they will waste power.
Not sure how this plays out with X11 though as switching between algos might soften that difference too.

Then how about the concrete options a pool should offer? 0.1 for regular single-GPU miners? 1.0 for bigger rigs? 0.01 for CPU miners? I'm not able to find any examples of these...

Back