• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

PayPal is getting nervous...

Bridgewater

Foundation Member
So I recently attempted to sell something on a classifieds section of a popular hobby forum. I posted a USD price, (OBO) and listed my accepted payment methods. A few hours later, an interesting fellow popped up to hijack my listing:

Accepted forms of payment: Cash, Bitcoin, or Dash.
Paypal accepted only if you pay those ridiculous fees.
---End Quote---

BUYERS BEWARE!!!!!!!!!

Never trust any seller that charges you their PayPal fees!!

It is unethical and a complete violation of paypal's policies!!

4.6 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.

Unfortunately I did not see this ludicrous post until it had been deleted (thankfully) by that forum's moderators, so I did not have a chance to retaliate against such an obvious PayPal shill.

The troll did inspire me to change my advertisement though and I listed it at a higher price including the ridiculous paypal fees, or 15% discount if you pay with Bitcoin or Dash (or cash in person)--which was significantly more discount than the 3% or whatever the PayPal fee is, but I felt spiteful and also wanted encourage more users to to use crypto :grin:.

It seems crazy to me that they would attempt to drive sellers even further away. I am amazed that any seller would put up with paying the fees, when they are given little protection against arbitrary chargebacks and buyer-biased mediation.

So I recently attempted to sell something on a classifieds section of a popular hobby forum. I posted a USD price, (OBO) and listed my accepted payment methods. A few hours later, an interesting fellow popped up to hijack my listing:

Unfortunately I did not see this ludicrous post until it had been deleted (thankfully) by that forum's moderators, so I did not have a chance to retaliate against such an obvious PayPal shill.

The troll did inspire me to change my advertisement though and I listed it at a higher price including the ridiculous paypal fees, or 15% discount if you pay with Bitcoin or Dash (or cash in person)--which was significantly more discount than the 3% or whatever the PayPal fee is, but I felt spiteful and also wanted encourage more users to to use crypto :grin:.

It seems crazy to me that they would attempt to drive sellers even further away. I am amazed that any seller would put up with paying the fees, when they are given little protection against arbitrary chargebacks and buyer-biased mediation.
I have given up with pay pal. We have a great free site called gum tree in Australia and sold s ton of stuff

lol

That's the best way to do it, giving a discount (no one can be told off for giving discounts :wink:). I always offer BIG discounts for my clients if payments are in DASH (great opportunity to introduce DASH to new people).

Back