• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

P2Pool currently forked!?!?

rrodent

It appears that there might be a fork on the p2pool network... notice the out of order blocks that are showing up in the log and the fact that the lower block numbers being found after the higher numbers are not found on the block chain. This is making me think that people are getting credit via p2pool for the valid blocks even though they are on the wrong fork. Correct me if I'm wrong. Might need to implement a GTFO section in the code for the morons that don't keep their nodes up to date.

1 hour agoSun Nov 09 2014 13:23:21 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)166230
3 hours agoSun Nov 09 2014 11:10:49 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)166845
4 hours agoSun Nov 09 2014 10:14:32 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)166227
7 hours agoSun Nov 09 2014 07:12:03 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)166752
11 hours agoSun Nov 09 2014 03:36:26 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)166223
11 hours agoSun Nov 09 2014 03:15:22 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)166661
12 hours agoSun Nov 09 2014 02:36:12 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)166222
19 hours agoSat Nov 08 2014 19:30:29 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)166480

P2pools that didn't update wallet and p2pool to the latest are forked.

1) Their Global Hashrate is lower/different from the correct fork.
2) They have very high orphans.

Oh two more issues that could imho be looked at improving... make the node p2pool version number actually recognizable as a version number so people can look at it and easily identify who is running the latest version node software. 81fc6c5-dirty doesn't really tell you crap. Also adjust the estimated payout to account for the masternode cut... it shows about 20% more on the expected pay out than what you actually get so I'm assuming that the masternode percentage isn't being taken in to account.

P2pools that didn't update wallet and p2pool to the latest are forked.

1) Their Global Hashrate is lower/different from the correct fork.
2) They have very high orphans.

but if its showing up as a found block in the correct forks log... are they still getting credit for their hash power even though they can't actually solve a real block?

Oh two more issues that could imho be looked at improving... make the node p2pool version number actually recognizable as a version number so people can look at it and easily identify who is running the latest version node software. 81fc6c5-dirty doesn't really tell you crap. Also adjust the estimated payout to account for the masternode cut... it shows about 20% more on the expected pay out than what you actually get so I'm assuming that the masternode percentage isn't being taken in to account.

Upgrading to 81fc6c5-dirty is not the cause... Its the wallet version!

(I could still run my p2pool with the previous p2pool script and the latest wallet)

hmm actually I think I worked my way through it... all their shares should show up as orphans in the p2pool chain due to them working on the wrong block.

Upgrading to 81fc6c5-dirty is not the cause... Its the wallet version!

(I could still run my p2pool with the previous p2pool script and the latest wallet)

yeah I got the part about the p2pool version vs the wallet version... was just being nit picky cause it annoys me that the version number looks like some random hash rather than a real version number :p

Would it not be possible to tie the enforcement function of the real wallet to the p2pool code so that it would boot the offenders or is that even really necessary?

its very simple. If you are not running the latest wallet, all the blocks will be orphaned!

Take a look at the orphan percent of the p2pool that didn't upgrade.

So somehow my pool got off on the wrong fork... But yet I am currently running ONYX 10.15.21!

See the blocks that the miners on my pool are seeing;

UPnLjxT.png

Here's what my wallet and darkcoind are showing;

kn9zId0.png

So what went wrong?

I forgot to mention that the blocks after 166845 look like the blocks that took off on the wrong fork....

looks like you are on the correct fork... its some other moron that hasn't updated his wallet spamming the p2pool network with incorrect info

looks like you are on the correct fork... its some other moron that hasn't updated his wallet spamming the p2pool network with incorrect info
The enforcement was switched on last early Friday morning (US New York Time), so it's been about 2 and half days now. Links for updates:

https://darkcointalk.org/threads/v10-15-onyx-release.2683/
https://www.darkcoin.io/

And subscribe to the mailing list to be notified by email for future updates:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1t_iWT-M-_4FV_RqqLPNtlrEqQaD0GPO76cUrMMGiUFI/viewform

Last edited by a moderator:
Back