• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Ongoing DDoS attack on masternode network

Thank you @camosoul for the script and the tutorial!

I've found two misspellings in the setupiptables.sh:
line 14: sudo iptables -A INPUT -m commtrack --ctstate RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT #commtrack -> conntrack
line 27: sudo iptables -P INPUT DROP. #DROP. -> DROP
I believe I've rectumized, er, rectified these typos

some point

VPS may not have eth0 interface but venet0:0 as rule (ifconfig will show)

in that case delete all '-i eth0'

I think in the future masternode operators can be able to afford to maintain a powerful dedicated server (with the eth0 interface ofcause :))
I presume that a MNO has at least the cognitive capacity to realize eth0 needs to be replaced with whatever the user's actual interface is. An MNO lacking that remedial understanding of reality should not be an MNO.

Vultr offers DDOS protection is that a good buy or unnecessary?
Why buy what you can do yourself?

An MNO should have sufficient technical aptitude to service the network adequately.

Think of it as a job interview that helps you become qualified even if you're not.

I presume that a MNO has at least the cognitive capacity to realize eth0 needs to be replaced with whatever the user's actual interface is.
Weeell, yea. btw. Until you run into a systemd update introduced by the newest Debian upgrade, which renames your interfaces and takes your machine offline or some bullshit like that. Watch out for predictable network interface names, guys ;)

So, yea. If you ever upgrade to Debian 9 on a ESXi VM with virtual network interfaces, keep that in mind.

Weeell, yea. btw. Until you run into a systemd update introduced by the newest Debian upgrade, which renames your interfaces and takes your machine offline or some bullshit like that. Watch out for predictable network interface names, guys ;)

So, yea. If you ever upgrade to Debian 9 on a ESXi VM with virtual network interfaces, keep that in mind.
Pretty sure a complete noob isn't doing any off those things, either.

It's called a test deployment. A non-critical machine that you try stuff out on before you apply it to production boxes.

It's called a test deployment. A non-critical machine that you try stuff out on before you apply it to production boxes.

@camosoul, my old friend, where have you been?
Welcome back!
I was anxious that something happened to you, in las vegas.:D

Last edited:

Also, ESXi is still a thing? Get with it, man. :p

Back