Welcome to the Dash Forum!

Please sign up to discuss the most innovative cryptocurrency!

OFFICIAL DASH ROADMAP - Version 2.1.1 // Delivery Milestones

Discussion in 'Official Announcements' started by tungfa, Jun 27, 2017.

1. camosoul

camosoul Well-known Member

I seriously doubt that the human race is capable of producing enough transactions to need the capacity that special MN hardware will bring.

Look at the blocksize ambition. We'll need more hard drive space well before the population grows so large that we'll need more processing power. Transparent hardware compression/encryption? Sharding will be an inevitability because there's simply nowhere to store a blockchain that big. Wimbly Bimbly? "Blockchain forever" is simply untenable. The need for a chainless crypto is inevitable, and privileged mining gives you a hint... 25MB blocks at 1 block per 2.5minutes... How fast will your 8TB drive fill up? Storage arrays? When you expect more from a masternode than you do from any other server, you're being ridiculous. And we're only talking about storage space... Demanding more is fine. Demanding more than the entire technology industry can deliver because you won't rethink the basics of an experiment gone too far...

The future brings government blockchains/crypto. At that point, you are a fool if you don't believe non-government cryptos will be banned. Special Hardware means those "illegal currency terrorists that are undermining the nation's economy (a.k.a., MNOs)" will have bull's eyes painted on them. Freedom is so unpatriotic! The overwhelming majority will always prefer being Big Brother's pet, and willingly abide any and all propaganda spewed.

#31 camosoul, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  2. GrandMasterDash

GrandMasterDash Well-known Member
    Masternode Owner/Operator

Reading your recent posts about scaling is like reading my own posts from 1 - 3 years ago haha.

But things have moved on since then.

I don't doubt what you say but I think you've allowed yourself to jump from A to C without going through B.

I don't see dash's roadmap as being set in concrete. For example, it's entirely possible dash will run multiple chains simultaneously; some for practical purposes (a treasury chain) and others for the purpose of live testing e.g. a blockless chain that you refer to. In such a setup, it's entirely possible that dash will evolve into something very different.

The way I see it, there are currently four major approaches to scalability:
    1. Payments channels (litecoin, digibyte etc)
    2. Interesting variations of Delegated Proof of Stake (antshares / neo is notably different / interesting)
    3. Directed Acyclic Graph - blockless payments e.g. iota, byteball etc.
    4. Real-time on-chain Proof of Work e.g. dash
    Future cryptos might use a combination of the above e.g. payment channels + DAG. But regardless, they won't all attain the status of digital cash, for they will find their own niche. Remember, the best crypto analogy is that of programming languages e.g. they don't all have to be as fast as C+

And finally, imo, the threat level against MNO's has remained constant to where we were two years ago. Yes, there are bigger numbers involved, but that's relative to where we are in crypto as a whole. And I don't just see MNOs moving into data centers, it's easy to imagine a whole bunch of cryptos moving in when you consider distributed apps and file storage e.g. filecoin etc.

3. warriors

warriors New Member

Sorry if I missed that, but when are CoPay and DashCore 12.2 expected to be released on the test net?

4. tungfa

tungfa Administrator
    Dash Core Team Foundation Member Masternode Owner/Operator Moderator

this is all a bit behind
    there should be an announcement / update in the coming week / soon

testnet is not open / public yet

#34 tungfa, Oct 15, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Cryptophasia

Cryptophasia New Member

When do you guys think that this mass adoption will occur ??

6. EazyDay

EazyDay Member

Dash Address:
    XtN1c3dxyHCTu4CtPi7z3U7pSTbLShupce
    I am in agreement with @akhavr @TheSingleton, I am confused as to why we need further centralization in data centers? I am also amiss as to why we need specialized hardware? Maybe, the Dapi's processing overhead which is 500-1500 tx/s extra load on top of the functions already performed by the masternodes?

Maybe we do not fully understand Dapi and its use cases? DashMail or Dmail could compete with google and solve the following problem with email? If this is true maybe we are thinking of masternodes in the wrong way. Is there a future tense of the word, futurenodes? In the future maybe they are fully decentralized and/or distributed clusters. Do we look more like a blockchain powered CDN as powerful as Netflix or Cloudflare?

7. camosoul

DAPI doesn't currently exist. How it will effect MN load is entirely theoretical.

That said, 2 and 3 generation old server hardware is already more than capable of even the worst case scenario. Even if everyone in the world started using DASH exclusively, Evolution, as roadmapped in June of next year (other than blocksize), is more than capable.

The only uses I can see for hardware are privileged mining, which would be very constrained instead of the landscape it is now, and transparent compression to storage. The blockchain cannot, and will not, go on forever. Perpetual blockchain cannot be. NOTHING lasts forever. Something else has to occur before it collapses. When, not if. I could see a transparent compression SSD interface. But, why not let the market develop this for you?

I've already outlined the many detriments and faux-benefits and it falls on deaf ears.

The only remaining idea for the hardware, is expressly "dongle permission." You have the hardware, or you're not an MNO. Like pirate-paranoid software companies made you plug into your printer port in the 1990s-2000s.

I'm confused as to the real-world utility that could be conceived by the pursuit of this path. What little there could be, is minor to the point of why bother. Maybe Evan just want's a nerd fun money sink for tax deductions? Whatever...

As for the perpetual blockchain... It seems possible, given Evolution's feature set, to perform a "stagnant VIN sweep-forward" type of operation...

#37 camosoul, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    • Trolling Trolling x 1
  8. camosoul

At this rate; never.

They've squandered so many opportunities, I'm not sure where they're going to get more...

• Trolling Trolling x 1
  9. This Is Blueprint

This Is Blueprint New Member

I would have to agree with Camosoul