• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

[noob question] Mining Dash with CPU

mrearthbound

I'm trying to mine Dash with my CPU. I'm trying to follow this tutorial, but it when downloading the github files, I don't see the .exes in the tutorial's screenshot. What am I missing? Do I have to build an executable based on the source code? Is there an built executable I can just download and move on? If not, what are the steps so I can move forward?

BTW, I've tried to post a reply to this thread, but it seems that I have insufficient privileges to reply. Why is that?

The thread you mentioned is almost 3 years old. Dash is no longer minable on CPU (at least on mainnet, you can still mine on testnet however), moreover it's not even minable on GPU either since mid 2016, so most such guides are simply outdated now.

The thread you mentioned is almost 3 years old. Dash is no longer minable on CPU (at least on mainnet, you can still mine on testnet however), moreover it's not even minable on GPU either since mid 2016, so most such guides are simply outdated now.

Great reply!
I've stop mining Dash since the asic miners joined the "game" did however put up a MasterNode insteed to support the network and earn some dash.

Why aren't they mineable? Is it a technical imposibility or is it just not competitive since ASICs came out? I guess I just wanted to see what it's like before my Giant A900 miner (hopefully) arrives.

BTW, there appear to be broken links in the Dash main page on how to mine with CPU / ASIC. When you click the buttons they loop you back to the same page. Where should I report that?

Great reply!
I've stop mining Dash since the asic miners joined the "game" did however put up a MasterNode insteed to support the network and earn some dash.

Did you put the Masternode yourself, or are you using a Masternode Shares program from splawik21 or moocowmoo?

Why aren't they mineable? Is it a technical imposibility or is it just not competitive since ASICs came out? I guess I just wanted to see what it's like before my Giant A900 miner (hopefully) arrives.

BTW, there appear to be broken links in the Dash main page on how to mine with CPU / ASIC. When you click the buttons they loop you back to the same page. Where should I report that?
CPU/GPU are not competitive, not sure why we even listed them on this page

@tungfa

@tungfa

wel it is not competitive but still works !
people wanna mine - so be it - i am only providing info what is possible - regarding $ returns - customers have to figure out themselves if that brings enough returns or not
(man people like to mine for the spirit - being involved)
if this would be purely about $ returns i have to edit my ASIC page to the top 2 machines and done ? no ?
am i off here ? comments please - tx

Did put up my masternode myself on a VPS, when I got the 1000 Dash. :cool:
Nice! But, from a business stand point, why not buy ASICs yourself? 1000 DASH is much more expensive than a 2.4k A900 miner. Also, with a Masternode will need to wait longer to break even. Right now, an A900 will get you ~11 DASH / month (minus the pool fees), which is probably more than a MN will give you.

Nice! But, from a business stand point, why not buy ASICs yourself? 1000 DASH is much more expensive than a 2.4k A900 miner. Also, with a Masternode will need to wait longer to break even. Right now, an A900 will get you ~11 DASH / month (minus the pool fees), which is probably more than a MN will give you.

I bought my Dash @ 2 USD / Each ;) My VPS cost me about 12 USD / month and right now im bringing in about 7.2 Dash ~ 374 USD / Month.
So I'm very satisfied with that :) I have a fulltime job aswell.

people wanna mine - so be it - i am only providing info what is possible - regarding $ returns - customers have to figure out themselves if that brings enough

This ain't so great. imo

People like to contribute, people like to make a little profit.
Most will no longer be able to generate 1000 DASH, on the spot.

The possibility of mining at home may be outdated by the new asic farms, and this could produce a disconnect with the general community.

If all this information is now outdated, it should be archived somewhere and only current information have easy access.

In spirit of harmony within our community and overall stewardship of resources, there should be an informative sticky page for those who would like to mine DASH.
It could declare; "IF your electric rate exceeds $0.10usd per kw/hr, it is most likely Not profitable to mine DASH at home."

I have mined other crypto coins. Just so I can say I did it. My electric rate is $0.025usd per kw/hr. It wasn't pretty. LOL
Pulled the plug in short order.
Just not worth it to pay more and have them shoveling more coal into the power plant, burning more petro, or feeding more uranium into the NPP.

I shall assemble a solar powered LTC mining rig using old Gridseed Orbs, controlled by a Pi3B, for entertainment.

Striving for a more complete rant, Ethereum mining is presently profitable, yet shall switch to POS in months.
Monero mining is simple, yet most likely marginally profitable as it's price declines.
Zcash was quite good for many, over the winter, yet it's price has also declined.

This is a good place to check about ROI. https://whattomine.com/

Please seek a second opinion on anything I have said, herein.
rc

people wanna mine - so be it - i am only providing info what is possible - regarding $ returns - customers have to figure out themselves if that brings enough returns or not
(man people like to mine for the spirit - being involved)
if this would be purely about $ returns i have to edit my ASIC page to the top 2 machines and done ? no ?
am i off here ? comments please - tx
I think there should be at least a warning stating that while one could do it, it probably isn't profitable anymore. Or else some people will spend a lot of time figuring out how to mine using outdated info, only to be disappointed afterwards.

Back