• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

New to Mining and New to Dash and the community

wow thats insane saving up it is got to get me an R9 290. Is that the best option for dash mining.

Don't hold me to that, it can change quickly and there is the new 370 range coming out soon.
I believe the Nvidia are better on electricity and slightly higher hashes per dollar spent.

Greetings. I'm also new to the Dash community. I want to run a masternode, but I am trying to start mining first. I've been working for the last week to try to get a mining rig going running Ubuntu with an old computer. I had what I thought would be an ok driver for hashing, a ATi Radeon 9800 SE. I don't have much experience on Linux, but I am starting to think maybe this card isn't compatible with with AMD-APP software. Whenever I try to install any catalyst drivers I get a black screen. But if I try to configure sg-miner without these drivers it gives me a message that it can't find OpenGL.

Does anyone have experience mining with this card? I am feeling discouraged and think I will try mining with BAMT (can I get it to mine Dash?)

Greetings. I'm also new to the Dash community. I want to run a masternode, but I am trying to start mining first. I've been working for the last week to try to get a mining rig going running Ubuntu with an old computer. I had what I thought would be an ok driver for hashing, a ATi Radeon 9800 SE. I don't have much experience on Linux, but I am starting to think maybe this card isn't compatible with with AMD-APP software. Whenever I try to install any catalyst drivers I get a black screen. But if I try to configure sg-miner without these drivers it gives me a message that it can't find OpenGL.
Does anyone have experience mining with this card? I am feeling discouraged and think I will try mining with BAMT (can I get it to mine Dash?)
The memory/spec is too low, normally over 1 gigabyte minimum, it will be slow if you do manage it.
The oldest card that I have managed is a AMD 5850 at 1.5 megahash, I suggest trying CPU mining.
https://dashtalk.org/threads/sub-ethers-guide-to-cpu-mining.6170/

sorry its windows, but have the github sources, good luck!

Thanks Sub-Ether. I'm going to compile the cpu-miner and see if I have luck with that.

Im user Green Racoon's Linux CPU install guide, but getting this error at step 5 when I try to make:

make all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/m/darkcoin-cpuminer-1.2c'
Making all in compat
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/m/darkcoin-cpuminer-1.2c/compat'
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/m/darkcoin-cpuminer-1.2c/compat'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/m/darkcoin-cpuminer-1.2c/compat'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/m/darkcoin-cpuminer-1.2c/compat'
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/m/darkcoin-cpuminer-1.2c'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/m/darkcoin-cpuminer-1.2c'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/m/darkcoin-cpuminer-1.2c'

I've already made sure my libtools are update and also Janson. Any ideas what's going wrong?

"Hello @M4MB4 , here are my steps to do mining for fun.
1. Have your own Dash address (Wallet can be downloaded from www.dashpay.io/downloads)
2. Have miner program , you already have, please make sure that the miner program support X11 algorithm.
3. Play with pool, I would recommend p2pool , you can search for your nearest pool from lists on this post (https://dashtalk.org/threads/all-p2pool-nodes-list.4670/), If block founded by p2pool, you will get your share directly to your wallet.
For your connected pool, I could not answer you when will be paid out or when its complete.
BTW, major pools can be found from explorer's statistics for extraction. list of blockchain explorers ( https://www.dashpay.io/blockchain-explorers/ )"

Thats the description I needed, just at

Step2: Please list some minerprograms that are good

as I am new to mining

What this forum needs is a sticky thats updated regularly for new miners. Many links here are years out of date. Can anyone write up new working guides?

P2Pool looks appealing to me, but how do i use it?? I have a linux computer, and an internet connection...take my hand and walk me thru this!

Back