• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

New to Mining and New to Dash and the community

M4MB4

Hi people I am new to this community and new to the whole concept of crypto unfortunately I wish I got into this earlier. I have a couple of questions to ask the community. I have an Old computer rig thats not very powerful and have installed simple cpu miner on it.
I wanted to know is CPU mining still ok or like with the other coins I have been reading up about has it moved to GPU mining being the preferred option?
I also wanted to know what are good pools to start with for a NOOB like me?
I also wanted to know is simple CPU coin miner a decent mining tool to use?
I have managed to connect to a pool called dash.secureoayment I have been in this pool for 24 hours with no luck or profit. Basically want to know how long does it take to complete a block (on average) and are you paid out when a block is found or when its complete?
I apologise for my stupid questions and if the info already exists on this forum I apologise for asking the same thing twice or three times

Hello M4MB4 , here are my steps to do mining for fun.
1. Have your own Dash address (Wallet can be downloaded from www.dashpay.io/downloads)
2. Have miner program , you already have, please make sure that the miner program support X11 algorithm.
3. Play with pool, I would recommend p2pool , you can search for your nearest pool from lists on this post (https://dashtalk.org/threads/all-p2pool-nodes-list.4670/), If block founded by p2pool, you will get your share directly to your wallet.
For your connected pool, I could not answer you when will be paid out or when its complete.
BTW, major pools can be found from explorer's statistics for extraction. list of blockchain explorers ( https://www.dashpay.io/blockchain-explorers/ )

Finally, welcome :)

Hi people I am new to this community and new to the whole concept of crypto unfortunately I wish I got into this earlier. I have a couple of questions to ask the community. I have an Old computer rig thats not very powerful and have installed simple cpu miner on it.
I wanted to know is CPU mining still ok or like with the other coins I have been reading up about has it moved to GPU mining being the preferred option?
I also wanted to know what are good pools to start with for a NOOB like me?
I also wanted to know is simple CPU coin miner a decent mining tool to use?
I have managed to connect to a pool called dash.secureoayment I have been in this pool for 24 hours with no luck or profit. Basically want to know how long does it take to complete a block (on average) and are you paid out when a block is found or when its complete?
I apologise for my stupid questions and if the info already exists on this forum I apologise for asking the same thing twice or three times

Welcome :smile:
Normally you will be paid when the block is found but it will take many confirmations(100 times ?) because the coins are freshly created, a typical pool might take 1 - 4 hours to find a block depending on the network hash rate and difficulty.
I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm but mining on almost any cpu, even a fast quad core is not going to get you many coins.
The process must be paralleled way more using graphics cards, a general rule of thumb is the more shaders the card has, the quicker it will hash coins.
If you go and buy a graphics card, be aware that some (AMD) chip sets have been optimized(by wolf0) but others have not, so what might appear fast will be 3 times slower. The R9 280X seems to be somewhat a defacto standard for AMD. The new R9 370 range is coming out soon so you might be able to pick one up cheaper when they're released.

The pool I am currently using is www.xpool.ca, it is an auto switching pool and I mine any X11 coin there and get paid directly in Dash straight to the wallet-there is no signing up.
Try here as a good intro ..
https://dashtalk.org/threads/reubens-guide-to-mining-dash-with-an-amd-gpu-on-windows.4051/

Hi Sub-Ether and hi thelazier thanks for the really warm welcome. You guys have given me a lot of really really useful stuff and got to say this is a lot of fun. Sub-Ether I attempted to use xpool.ca but I have figured I am doing something wrong as my miner opens and then the dos window immediately closes. Thelazier is there an advantage and disadvantage of using p2p pools as opposed to a pool like xpool? Or is it just another name for a mining pool?

Also I hope this is not a stupid question but can I connect to a P2P pool with my simple CPU miner?

Hi Sub-Ether and hi thelazier thanks for the really warm welcome. You guys have given me a lot of really really useful stuff and got to say this is a lot of fun. Sub-Ether I attempted to use xpool.ca but I have figured I am doing something wrong as my miner opens and then the dos window immediately closes. Thelazier is there an advantage and disadvantage of using p2p pools as opposed to a pool like xpool? Or is it just another name for a mining pool?
p2pool for Dash only accept X11 works while xpool accept many algorithms. Try for fun.

Also I hope this is not a stupid question but can I connect to a P2P pool with my simple CPU miner?
Yes, again if your CPU miner can work with X11 algorithm. :)

Sounds like any error in your config, are you using a .bat file or a .conf in the mining folder to enter the arguments, copy and paste your config settings here.
if .bat file, put pause on last line and if it errors, the DOS screen is displayed ? ...

color 0A
GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT=100
sgminer -k x11mod -o stratum+tcp://eu.multipool.us:11111 -u bitchez.1 -p x -I 20
pause

or can set k = darkcoin-mod depending whats stored in your kernel folder

edit : is different miner name and pool and I is a setting for GPU intensity, I forget some of the settings for cpu(threads number is important but usually maxes out anyway), generally leave anything out at first to get it going and then add afterwards

Last edited by a moderator:
The dark coin cpu miner you provided gives me something on Dos but it just keeps saying HTTP request failed. What file am I meant to edit in order to get it to link to the pool I want to mine and the wallet I want it to pay to? I still have CPU Miner the GUI tool and boy does that thing not like me at all if I try and use Xpools settings for mining it opens and then closes. But Xpoos example is for a thing called sgminer that I don't have. I wish i started this years ago when you geniuses got on this I am really sorry if I come across like a super annoying noobie. You guys have been amazing help by the way loads of useful tips and info

The dark coin cpu miner you provided gives me something on Dos but it just keeps saying HTTP request failed. What file am I meant to edit in order to get it to link to the pool I want to mine and the wallet I want it to pay to? I still have CPU Miner the GUI tool and boy does that thing not like me at all if I try and use Xpools settings for mining it opens and then closes. But Xpoos example is for a thing called sgminer that I don't have. I wish i started this years ago when you geniuses got on this I am really sorry if I come across like a super annoying noobie. You guys have been amazing help by the way loads of useful tips and info

I can't really help you until you post your .config/ .bat settings, or have you not put any in ?!
It is a .bat or .conf file in your cpu folder ..
You must put the pool address,a name and password into the file otherwise the miner will not know what pool to mine to
(do not bother solo mining, you will never find a block, the difficulty is too high)

Your cpu miner will be called minerd and if you have no .bat file then make a plain .txt file put your config settings in it and then rename to .bat (make sure you enable extensions in windows and reveal hidden files also in the folder options) .

Just for you, I tracked down an old cpu miner .bat settings file from way back, here it is,

minerd -a X11 -o stratum+tcp://pool.darkcoin.io:3333 -u workername.1 -p x -t 3

port number = 3333 in this case (check, usually changes)
-a = X11, kernel setting, also try darkcoin-mod or x11mod possibly ?
pool.darkcoin.io = pool address (must change)
-u = username (worker name may have a .1 after it, make sure about this)
-p = x any password can work for multipools but generally people set a pool password to 'x' because its not important
-t = number of threads (I put 3 out of 4 because it will leave one for browsing or gpu mining, your choice, can leave it out)

I can't make it any more simple than this ! ...

Sub-ether thank you this gives me a good start again can't thank you enough. I will get working using your guide and if I have any problem I will get back to you thank you again.

First of all, there are no stupid questions. That concept does not exist in the Dash community.

p2pool is a bit different to pooled mining. It is more profitable, but there are diferences. First, it's completely decentralized with auto-payouts straight to your wallet. There is a ramp-up of payouts, which sucks, so it can take a few days until your average earnings stabilise and are above a pool. Ping is very very important, so try to find a p2pool node closes to you, and literally ping it. Sometime a pool further away will have better connection and lower ping, but general rule of thumb is closer is better. In fact, the absolute best is to make your own p2pool node. If you have a dedicated mining rig, that's the way to go, it can make it both a miner and a node.

So it really is much better for those who just stick to mining Dash and don't pool-hop. Pool hopping is simply switching pools to try out.

xpool.ca is a multi-pool, meaning it accepts miners using other algorythms mining other coins, but pays out in Dash. So be careful to point the x11 algorithm to the correct port.

Sub-ether thank you this gives me a good start again can't thank you enough. I will get working using your guide and if I have any problem I will get back to you thank you again.

Btw, I downloaded the cpu miner from the link I provided you and it flagged as a trogan virus, I am 90% sure it is a false positive but treat with caution and be aware of this and be extra careful downloaded from other sources. Here this is a reliable miner source,

https://www.nicehash.com/?p=software

cpuminer-multi-rel1.0.9.7z looks interesting at the end in github, not tried it yet..
(Btw, does NOT flag as virus on my 3 scanners)

I ran cpuminer-multi-rel1.0.97z for fun, to see if its any quicker than I remember (it was not and x86 miner was a slow 18 kilohash per thread)
using cpuminer-multi-x64 ..

.bat file =

cpuminer-multi-x64 -a x11 -o stratum+tcp://mine.xpool.ca:1131 -u walletaddress -p x
pause

upload_2015-5-22_16-46-59.png

Sub, you'll be a Dash millionaire by the year 2140 :grin:

A dust millionaire by next week :grin:
I got the idea to test the cpu when Tao said he was cpu mining on his masternodes, I feared I was missing out but I was not, lol.

I had thought of that, but I was on amazon and they charge you if you scale up Since it auto-scales to need, you could theoretically go bankrupt within a month.. On Vultur, they don't scale and there are no surprises, never tried on them so don't know the performance.

On littler cheaper VPS I would highly discourage it, as the daemon alone sometime causes CPU/mem spike and they go down, let alone mining. I also wonder what it would do to the MN score.

Anyway, we're derailing the topic. I may well jump back into the mining game when the AMD 3xx series come out.

I had thought of that, but I was on amazon and they charge you if you scale up Since it auto-scales to need, you could theoretically go bankrupt within a month.. On Vultur, they don't scale and there are no surprises, never tried on them so don't know the performance.

On littler cheaper VPS I would highly discourage it, as the daemon alone sometime causes CPU/mem spike and they go down, let alone mining. I also wonder what it would do to the MN score.

Anyway, we're derailing the topic. I may well jump back into the mining game when the AMD 3xx series come out.

Indeed, get back to the rolling thread for this, (I am also looking forward to the amd 370 but fear the new chipset will not be optimized and want to ask Wolf0 about this, so will buy with caution atm)

Ouch seeing those numbers makes me want to cry CPU mining is definitely not the way forward for Dash. And my GPU is not that beefy I think. Looks like I will need to save up and build a mining rig. I was wondering after seeing Sub-ethers cpu results and thanks for the guide I managed to get CPU miner running and the numbers were low Is it worth building a rig as I will have spent 200 - $500 or multi pool mine with a cloud mining rig?I hope its not a dumb question.

Ouch seeing those numbers makes me want to cry CPU mining is definitely not the way forward for Dash. And my GPU is not that beefy I think. Looks like I will need to save up and build a mining rig. I was wondering after seeing Sub-ethers cpu results and thanks for the guide I managed to get CPU miner running and the numbers were low Is it worth building a rig as I will have spent 200 - $500 or multi pool mine with a cloud mining rig?I hope its not a dumb question.

Compare to only one $300 AMD R9 290 OC !

upload_2015-5-23_23-40-5.png

Back