• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

New to DRK. Some thoughts and questions.

NewJack

Hi! Questions first:
1. Is it maybe wise to target specific communities as early DRK adopters rather than shoot for instant mainstream appeal?
2. What does the community think of pegging DRK's value to something tangible like manual work-hours that the community might spend?
3. In the short term, what would does everyone think a good value would be for 1 DRK compared to today's USD?

Background:
I am new to cryptocurrency in general, though I have been leisurely following bitcoin for the last few years. Unfortunately I never bought any back then, but I've always been interested in it as a payment system for online music, distributing royalties, and a "fairer" medium of exchange. I have some background with silver and gold bullion, so I was naturally interested in bitcoin as an alternative to fiat currencies as well. But, as bitcoin gets adopted more and more by the mainstream, I increasingly feel as if the hopes I had for bitcoin and the potential uses I saw for it are falling by the wayside. One important component was anonymity. I just think privacy is a basic right, simple as that. I was attracted to Darkcoin and I have been pleasantly surprised by the level of activity and ambitions for the coin, such as DarkTor, Darksend and such.

But here is what I am concerned about: the idea of investing and getting huge windfall profits from DRK as it rises in value against the dollar. Sure, I would like to reap some cash from a price spike... but shouldn't the real value of a cryptocurrency be its use in actual commerce?

My Questions:
1. Coins for communities: is it maybe wise to target specific communities as early DRK adopters rather than shoot for instant mainstream appeal? If so, what communities are these? I would like to nominate the "creative" community for DRK personally, as I see a lot of potential in the music arena.

2. What does the community think of pegging DRK's value to something tangible like manual work-hours that the community might spend? Examples would be coding, cleaning, babysitting, graphics, web design, etc.

3. In the short term, what would does everyone think a good value would be for 1 DRK compared to today's USD? I personally think that bitcoin's high price per coin scares away mainstream adoption. People don't care if you can have 1/10th a bitcoin. They just figure $500 is too high to get in the game. To me it seems like $20 per coin, along the lines of silver bullion, is a pretty solid, sustainable value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back