• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

New P2Pool

HammerHedd

OK, it looks like everything is up and running! Come try out:

stratum+tcp://darkcoin.kicks-ass.net:7903

for those of you CPU mining:
minerd -a X11 -o stratum+tcp://darkcoin.kicks-ass.net:7903 -u [your wallet address] -p [any password will do]

for those of you GPU mining:
sgminer --kernel darkcoin -o stratum+tcp://darkcoin.kicks-ass.net:7903 -u [your wallet address] -p [any password will do]

don't forget to add your GPu settings to SGMiner.

If you want to check out the initial stats page:

https://darkcoin.kicks-ass.net:7903/static

I'll be updating the web page in a few days to make it look better, but it is functional now.

Yes, it's because P2Pool basically builds a faster blockchain then tries to see if one of the blocks "solves" the next block in the real blockchain. This is probably a really over-simplified explanation.
Why does P2Pool have so much orphaned / dead / rejected shares?
Miners' payouts are not affected so long as they have a proportional number of rejected shares to other miners. A new share is found every 30 seconds on average with P2Pool's sharechain. This means reorganizations happen more often and miners must have a good network connection in order to receive last shares within a short time.
P2Pool creates a new block chain in which the difficulty is adjusted so a new block is found every 30 seconds. The blocks that get into the P2Pool block chain (called the "share chain") are the same blocks that would get into the Darkcoin block chain, only they have a lower difficulty target. Whenever a peer announces a new share found (new block in the P2Pool block chain), it is received by the other peers, and the other peers verify that this block contains payouts for all the previous miners who found a share (and announced it) that made it into the P2Pool share chain. This continues until some peer finds a block that has a difficulty that meets the Darkcoin network's difficulty target. This peer announces this block to the Darkcoin network and miners who have submitted shares for this block are paid in the generation transaction, proportionally to how many shares they have found in the last while. - Unknown author
I'm guessing you are putting about 14MH into it? You should see your rewards increasing after about 24 hours. That has been the pattern for me.

Here's what I mean about the increasing shares:

jiS6RSb.png

You can see how your reward is increasing with the amount of time you spend in the pool in the second chart.

I'm going to take the pool down for a few minutes on Saturday to transition to a more robust server. Is there a time that works best for you? I anticipate a very fast transition, so you might not notice anything more than a single stratum interrupt, but you never know.

I'm going to take the pool down for a few minutes on Saturday to transition to a more robust server. Is there a time that works best for you? I anticipate a very fast transition, so you might not notice anything more than a single stratum interrupt, but you never know.

Any time just let me know after it's back up. I actually stopped mining there because of my the request work restart issue but now that I know it's normal I'll start back up when you're ready.

No worries... I'm running the replacement node right now (although it isn't reachable) so that it will be a quick transition. You won't lose anything if you want to start mining again. I won't make the switch for until 1200 EST tomorrow.

Update: a bug has been found in the DGW code, and it can cause orphan blocks... Even is working on it right now - I've switched the server back to the older machine which doesn't appear to be affected. Mining continues at

stratum+tcp://darkcoin.kicks-ass.net:7903

Things should be all fixed now... I somehow started running a 32 bit version of Ubuntu, and that's where the error was.

Back