• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

NEW MEMBERS: Welcome to Dash! Introduce yourself...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. A question to start with: Is Dash built on the Bitcoin blockchain, or does it use it's own, and why?

I've been writing an editing about cryptocurrencies for about a year and a half (through Let's Talk Bitcoin, CoinTelegraph, and working with authors privately), and I haven't taken any real personal interest in altcoins until now. The more I learn about Dash, the more intrigued I am about the problems it solves compared to Bitcoin. I've begun to move some of my holdings into Dash, with the goal of getting up to masternode level.

Why have Bitcoin just sitting there, hoping its value will go up rather than down, when I can put dash to work passively earning more dash? So much about Dash (paid nodes, distributed governance, fungibility and privacy protection, transaction speed) seems like the way to go.

Cheryl
NY

I am newbie... a few weeks into study of crypto after stumbling across a presentation on ytube by amanda at daily decrypt. I was impressed with her sharing information. Seeing your description, dated a year ago, that you have been writing about crypto for the prior year, I would like to ask why you would come to DASH to work passively for a higher return ? Would it not be superior to actively make use of your DASH, and by this act, improve both the strength, and value of DASH and your holdings in same ?
I do not yet have a dog in this race. Let me show you why I like p2p... I want to be involved in DASH, described my interest to family, and asked for a little assistance from them... They were agreeable. Here's what happened:
"You have just been sent a payment by eCheck. You will receive the money in about 3-5 business days (estimated xx-xx-xx). We recommend that you wait until the money arrives before..."
Fascinating, isn't it !
Why, would digits move slower, bank to bank, than those within any fps game played online ? Even if a redundant transmission were to be sent for security ?
I believe they employ a lagtime to garner some small amount of interest, while the funds are in their possession, all the while with an intention of promulgating some sense of propriety and awe in the banking system as it exists in a corporate structure.
Decentralized P2P is a far superior method of interacting with others !
Actively making use of crypto is what will make it stronger.
I do have plan...

May I ask ?
What have you learned in the last year since you made your post ?

Best
rc

i do a lot on localbitcoin and never meet in person.

be very careful face to face !!
You never know who you will meet.
Bring your 2 big brothers just in case for sure !

Yep. Herein lies the problem. The gateway... Cash deals on a city corner, under the street lamp could be perilous, and in the least, circumspect by enforcement types who frequently make the headlines when seizing cash ! There will most likely always be an impediment or resistance when exchanging fiat for crypto. Pretty much, it is the epitomy of a system being overthrown. Out with the old and in with the new. P2P will be effortless, with cudoes to the originator and devs, along with those who operate nodes, for which they should be gratified.
Best
rc

Hello everyone! Checking in from Seattle, Washington, USA!

I like your avatar ! Reminds me of a cap I once wore, when working at a used car lot. It said, We're #3, We don't try at all !
...Which I wore daily, in hopes to dispell fear of hi-pressure sales technique.
(it's Not needed... profit in used autos is made when purchasing the vehicle. It is, what it is.)
:) rc

Hi guys...I've been involved in crypto-currencies for only three months, starting with bitcoin and now DASH. I'm an artist (watercolorist) and travel around the western US in an RV, painting the beauty of our planet.

I'm impressed with the many great aspects of DASH, having watched some of Evan Duffield's interviews and the DASH video series on YouTube. Looking forward to learning more by being on this forum.

Thanks!

Excellent !
You will make DASH stronger by exchanging what you create for DASH.
IMO, (and I am newbie), This is point of origin validation of mining effort... actually, superior to expenditure on hardware and power to cryptically hash.
...get a 2nd opinion on anything I say..
Best rc

AnarchoFrigidity

Ideally others will be inspired to follow the same bottom up decentralized model. Dash should inspire others to follow especially since this model already proved to be successful. Many have yet to notice it though.

Sending coins is a scary process which is why Evan and the dev team is trying to make it more accessible to a larger audience. The upcoming Evolution update will introduce aliases, which means you will be able to send coins to an alias like AnarchoFrigidity instead of some xfdsd3e432faxdasndao342342342342332dfa address. It will also contain an encrypted chat and a friend list plus a set of other cool features.

YES ! It's beyond 'ideally', it is critical to the model that others participate. Use of DASH encourages others to take notice.
< I > do not care for any reference to anarchy, or state of... chaos is bad. The only hope during that struggle is that order come out of it.
And many thanks to Evan and devs, along with MN folks for their efforts in P2P. This is what we need, without being bled dry along the way.
Inevitably, the matter of governance is a significant recurring point through Evan's presentations. Best rc

Newbies welcoming newbies, I love it! Cheers, murtezx! :grin:

Yah... WE Need this ! To create community.
I take strong exception to the rand presentation of galt egocentric horse droppings.
Only through community shall mankind progress to any better status.
P2P is an excellent step towards idyllic interaction.
Best rc

I did it !

I am newbie... it's important to know what's going on around me !
it took a few days to blast through 32 pages of the general/intro thread ! lol
Obviously I really need to learn, and I'd certainly like to... now to chip away at the rest of the knowledge base contained here on DASHtalk.
Best rc

I did it !

Obviously I really need to learn, and I'd certainly like to... now to chip away at the rest of the knowledge base contained here on DASHtalk.
Best rc

Come join us in slack! We chat 24/7 about Dash (and other stuff)!

https://digitalcash.signup.team/

I did it !

Best rc
I love your enthusiasm.

I love your enthusiasm.

Tnx tos !
I have noted, and appreciate your cordial greeting to newbies. Critical to community development.
I am Not a randian galt proponent who asks nothing of others, and will give nothing to others.
Progress, P2P relations, may only come about by the borg working toward a common goal of prosperity... at whatever level each may strive for... which is perhaps, separation from the borg. lol
Best
rc

This is fun! I'm encountering ALL the newbie discrepancies! at least it seems so, at the moment !
And, the conglomeration of these intro posts will most likely serve well to describe myself for the community profile.
...it's always a long story...
I dl'ded the core from the official pages.
Missed the part which declared it could possibly take Days to sync...
5 tries to get set up, I finally began making progress and clearing the OoS situation.
Then, the pc did 3 or 4 major lockups requiring hard reset.
Windows data recovery... blah blah blah
Chrome turned, off the spigot for vista... all passwords lost...
and I was close to getting core set up !
And, was gifted a chunk of fiat, password to account lost...
What's next ???
Loading linux mint to repair chrome and access pwords..
PPal won't release funds. lol
Yah gotta love it !
It's an opportunity to try harder.
Best
rc

Okay! Here's more newbie Fun with DASH for my intro to the group. :)
Stardate 2016 test run 10001110. A significant success, overall !
First, and most significant to anyone interested at this level, Those who developed this platform have done an excellent job of it, IMO. Very robust, would be a good description.
I shall explain.
Only a few days ago the DASH Core was d/l from the site. Installation was prompt and straight forward, although nebulous...
(Who reads the .doc files in detail ?)
I had viewed a number of vids, prior to grabbing the installer and was aware of storage space requirements and was also forewarned, (casually), sync would take, "a while".
Yes, it may. MOF, it may take a Loong while ! ...With the GUI providing little clue on progress to the newbie.
Elsewhere, you may stumble across casual mention that full sync with the network may take Days ! Depending upon various circumstances...
Yes, from where I sit, I can tell you It Will Take Days ! :)
Here's what ocurred.
It installed briskly, there was notification regarding the database in percentage accomplished and such... Great! Things are going well !
The intro screen expands to a full page of your new wallet and you are left to click on this or that, as I, because I have not yet determined the optimal course for exchanging my few sheckels for crypto, and have no DASH to deposit within, or have sent to my new wallet.
I did discover how to generate the QR code, and a line address which I could send to someone who may desire to send me DASH.
That was an accomplishment, did it a couple times, and copied it over to my notepad and desktop to show others how pleased I was with myself.
...Didn't bother me a bit it was clearly stated in red letters that my new wallet was Out of Sync... I had no crypto !
So I shut it down, surfed a bit, and went back, waiting again for it to reload, and still OoS, I was pleased to see the 2 tests I had made prior were remaining in place... This is good !
Then it locked up. My cursor would not move. Multiple times, after a hard reset. And I tried further, with even worse results ! Windows went into recovery mode and determined it should make repairs... Who am I to argue with mr bill ? He's smart, and wealthy. #1, they tell me...
At this point I might declare I'm running an old laptop, a toshiba a135 s4467, with centrino duo core processor, 160Gb hdd, and 2.5Gb ram, to be precise, still loaded with vista home premium, which has performed quite well for my needs, over the years... Yet recently, google chrome decided they don't like skinflints such as me and I should let a few moths out of their hiding place... Mr bill also thinks I should upgrade to #7. IMO, they both desire to mine my keystrokes, to their own advantage, in some inordinate way... I resist, in part because this old warhorse has helped me ford many a stream, and been surfing with me on many memorable occasions ! Together, they are gonna strongarm me, when they see a moment of weakness... Which is inevitable. :-(
So much wasted time, because of their shenanigans... I've installed ad blockers, malware programs, and virus scanners, advised by industry spokesmen... then discovered they resent this action, and take recourse of their own ! Then, I discover SpyBot S&D causes it's own problems, and furthermore, is darn near impossible to remove from your system !
...All that to say, there's a glitch in the matrix, or worse.
My functional version of chrome has been damaged by the windows repair, (of course they took me out! Google won't support my OS any longer, and mr bill wants me to get his 7th effort), so I lose my web browser ! lol ...While I'm trying to sort out what looks to be a serious problem with DSH Core!
Good thing I've got a rusty old copy of safari tucked away...
That much helped me install mint to a jump drive, boot from there, and run firefox. I've got a real twitchy cursor in mint which really makes it a bear to respond to emails or forum threads, when searching for assistance, but that's most likely a problem that could be resolved if mint was running from a drive and could be set up suitably. I'd make the switch to linux, but even get pushback regarding that move when I want to do something like run Dash core. It's written for use with windows ! Recently I've heard there's a workaround, yet IMO, a conservative approach might be in order when placing the few sheckels I may have in an encrypted program. :-O
Whew ! Long-winded ! lol
Hopefully entertaining, and I do hope to set the stage well enough. Fun stuff, every bit of it ! Well, except for the thugs.

Here's what happened next, which is of significant importance.
I was able to d/l another copy of DASH core, first was made inoperable fom windows repair. Chrome will not update, or repair, because they don't want to support my OS.
I ran the DASH installer, and it loaded quickly, faster than initially, sync occurred, and it began d/l'ing the block chain, this time around.
Multiple lockups. Forced to do a hard reset. Many times...
Somewhere there was mention of the program rebooting a few times during sync, but it was more than that.
I do feel there should be better indiction of what is really going on with the various sync operations. The green bar, stuck forever at 50% or 75% is just not good enough ! It should be easy enough to include some better visual indicator in this program.
There is no matrix display of 0's & 1's onscreen from which a user can tell when it hs locked up the machine. You will bump the mouse a tad, when you notice there's not been a blip from your hd indicator lite in a while, and also no activity on your lan activity display, and the mouse is locked up. Period.
Three, four, five times, over many hours! I kept at the challenge...
Then, without warning, the green bar, which had declared 100% for eons, dissappeared and I was good to go ! Contact with 8 nodes and I could conduct affairs, if only I had DASH ! Almost immediately I checked, and those two prior tests I had initially done, were present in the log !
THIS, is a major biggie !I had scrambled the program to where it Would Not Run! I reloaded, from a new installer, and my tests were noted within the log.
This, inspires confidence in the devs !
The encryption password was still good, and I do believe I would Not have lost DASH, had I owned any, in the system. I am impressed !
This has been so much fun I handwrote a log while battling through it ! I'll post it, next... :)

8:04 click on DASH startup
8:07 sync, working on MNs
8:12 black screen
Restart..start win normally.. vista home premium
8:16 click DASH 32 bit
8:31 it's locked up.. no hd lite, no cursor movement, hard reset
8:32 restart, restart windows normally
8:33 DASH clicked
8:36 OoS... Done, sync MNs, 8 active node connections
Question.. are my repetitive efforts placing a strain on the network?
8:52 sync MN winners 75%, mouse ok
8:55 100%.. sync budgets
8:56 sync additional data 100%
9:04 locked up.. no mouse, no hd lite
9:06 hard reset, start win normally
9:07 loaded, click on DASH core
9:11 sync MN all over again, 50%...
9:22 sync MN winners, addl data 100%.. mouse locked up, no hd lite, no lan lite activity. hard reset
9:27 sync @ 75%.. mouse & lan active
9:30 sync budgets, addl data 100%... Mouse locked, lan lite off, hd lite off, hard reboot
9:32 start win normally
9:33 home screen
9:34 click on DASH Core in startup progs
9:37 No block source..5hrs behind.. sync..working on MN..50%
9:47 sync MN..addl data 75%.. mouse active, lan active, no hd lite
9:57 I got my Green Check ! 8 active nodes, wallet encrypted + unlocked, prior tests showing
Next question.. Can I minimize and run in background ?
10:04 Network traffic screen shows multiple spikes, 36kB rx, 19kB tx, w/red level @ <20kB/s
10:10 <20kB rx floor, 10kB tx
10:12 back to <10kB rx, tx floor
10:31 floor @ 15kB rx, 2kB tx
10:50 I fell like Cypher, watching the matrix ! Network hash runs @ 5kB rx, 2kB tx
10:54 Apparently NW traffic monitoring has auto-ranging scale... could be labelled better
Question.. Does my properly functioning station assist NW flow ?
11:19 Periodic tx spikes to 15kB
Question... will this run in the background? Time for a test !
11:22 tx spike to 20kB/s...25kB/s
12:15 All good, seems OK.. will now minimize.. closed traffic view, locked wallet, minimized
3:30 DASH Core H & W check... All Good ! Went outside to work on my lawnmower, and it rained !!!
7:07 All is well.. safari'ed to email acct & read news.. prog crashed.. win says web2kit failure?.. closed twice.. then d/l firefox
Return to DASH.. running strong & sure ! 179mB rx, 76mB tx...
Bandwidth is gonna be a factor around here, as for most people... this LT is hardwired to the TP-Link router, the tv runs 12/24/365 off a roku wifi box and Plex on this LT, there's a fps gamer hardwired, a 5g tethered part-time, guest surfers, and a couple tablets, LT's, and a printer.
I do feel like Cypher ! lol

Whew!
I do hope newbies get an opportunity to review my saga and benefit some way, some how...
Perhaps the most important thing to recognize from my blathering is that Not a Thing was lost, following a debilitating crash, when I employed a new d/l.
This, IMO, is very significant.

The only thing I could do to make an improvement upon my test would be if I actually had DASH within my account.
I am So pleased to read the core devs recognize 'direct fiat access ramps' must be developed !
rc

Stardate 2016, testrun 00101110.
Clicked on the DASH core at 8:02, OoS cleared.
8:21 sync mn winners ( sync addl data 75% ) Locked Up ! Hard Reset.
8:32 DASH
8:34 OoS 10 hours behind
8:40 Locked up... Hard Reset

and I'll complete this day's log and u/l later... bottom line ? Recovery is tedious, yet AMAZING !
rc

Hi,

i'm new to dashtalk (and dash). I have been involved with cryptos for a while, and i am really impressed by the "can do" attitude of the developers, and the governance structure. I was wondering if the developers here (maybe not rustycase) could answer a couple questions for me? I have often thought that whatever crypto can solve the price volatility problem will blow all the other cryptos out of the water. So my questions are:

1. Would it be possible to add a feature that allowed a dash node to automatically maintain the same dollar value at all times? For example, i had $100 worth of dash in a wallet, and i hit a switch that meant that my wallet would always maintain $100 worth of dash. Automatically subtracting or adding dash to the wallet to maintain the $100 value.
2. If the answer to one is yes, could that the addition or subtraction of dash be facilitated by newly formed blocks, or masternodes, or some other new special category of node (hedge node)
3. If yes, could this be done in a way that avoided gaming, or unintended consequences.

Thanks in advance.

H.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone, I'm new(ish) to the forum but not so much to Dash. Been a lurker here for a year or more but too lazy to register til recently.

After many months of slogging my way to 1k I finally got a masternode set up recently (btw Moocowmoo is an absolute saint and if you're looking for someone to hold your hand thru the process I cannot recommend the Moo highly enough - masternode.me- how you type that fast with hooves I do not know) actually as I'm rambling on here, is there a guide here in the forum does anyone know to voting on masternode stuff?

I'm really excited at the idea of taking a bigger part in this community when I can and I'm still yet to meet my first ... erm .. Dasher?! who hasn't been open, enthusiastic and happy to help and as someone who asks a lot of dumb questions thats quite the endorsement :)

Hi,

i'm new to dashtalk (and dash). I have been involved with cryptos for a while, and i am really impressed by the "can do" attitude of the developers, and the governance structure. I was wondering if the developers here (maybe not rustycase) could answer a couple questions for me? I have often thought that whatever crypto can solve the price volatility problem will blow all the other cryptos out of the water. So my questions are:

1. Would it be possible to add a feature that allowed a dash node to automatically maintain the same dollar value at all times? For example, i had $100 worth of dash in a wallet, and i hit a switch that meant that my wallet would always maintain $100 worth of dash. Automatically subtracting or adding dash to the wallet to maintain the $100 value.
2. If the answer to one is yes, could that the addition or subtraction of dash be facilitated by newly formed blocks, or masternodes, or some other new special category of node (hedge node)
3. If yes, could this be done in a way that avoided gaming, or unintended consequences.

Thanks in advance.

H.

HI Halso, could you do 1 and 2? I guess it could be done, yes. As to 3, intuitively, (that's short for I've not really thought this through in a comprehensive way so feel free to shoot me down here) I'm not so sure, it feels potentially quite open to abuse and margin trading but theres a lot of people here far smarter than me who can better advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back