• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Network Stress Test?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DashFTW

Helllooooooo Dash Nation!

I think we should put together a proposal to use Dash funds to stress test the network to how it works under fuller blocks. It would be a great opportunity to demonstrate that we work very well under large use conditions, kind of like how satoshi dice stress tested the bitcoin protocol in the early days.

At best we would demonstrate a great achievement of network capacity. At worst, we would be able to fix any bugs that arise from a stress test.

What do you all think? We could probably fill up blocks with micro transactions for a while if a script was used to send them. It probably wouldn't be expensive too since they are inexpensive.

Worthy of a proposal?

Helllooooooo Dash Nation!

I think we should put together a proposal to use Dash funds to stress test the network to how it works under fuller blocks. It would be a great opportunity to demonstrate that we work very well under large use conditions, kind of like how satoshi dice stress tested the bitcoin protocol in the early days.

At best we would demonstrate a great achievement of network capacity. At worst, we would be able to fix any bugs that arise from a stress test.

Worthy of a proposal?
Good idea lets slam testnet forget the proposal

Just remember that there are only 30 MNs and probably almost no "normal" wallets at all on testnet

Stress test to what end exactly? When Evolution comes out you'll need to redo it all over again.
yes, we'll need to repeat it, but ...
  • I'll have the process sorted out by then, with scripts to send transactions, monitoring in place and measurement analysis ready. I'll just need to click a button to fire off the tests.
  • We'll have a previous measurement point to compare. We'll be able to easily determine if the new version caused capacity problems or if the problem was there before.
Just remember that there are only 30 MNs and probably almost no "normal" wallets at all on testnet

Yes, I've got my doubts about the stability/capacity of testnet. Which is fine, test systems rarely have the same capacity as production systems (for complex systems anyway). The results from testing testnet might not tell us very much, but it may be interesting and it will allow me to develop the testing methodology.

Note also that I'm not involved in DASH development or anything, so its not taking time away from the work of the DASH team.

Why not mainnet?

First of all, running tests will cost DASH, in the form of transaction fees. So it would be a good idea to get the tests organized and tested on the testnet first. It would be interesting to run capacity tests on mainnet, but it may cause disruption to normal DASH operations:
  • crowding out legitimate transactions - probably not such an issue at the moment, the network doesnt seem that heavily used and the transaction fees of the test transactions could be put lower than normal to prioritize normal transactions
  • causing disruption to mining and masternodes that are not expecting the volume - can a masternode running on a Raspberry Pi keep up with 20 tps for 24 hours? I dunno, but I do know it will really piss people off if they cant. Mitigation - keep the tests short

do you have some scripts that can circulate funds off and back to some kinda testnet faucet?

Interesting. What about stressing with instantX on mainet? ( hmm should be expensive at the end at 0.01 fee per transaction..)

yes (to Miner237), but between my own wallets. Faucet was empty last time I checked. I CPU mined on testnet for a bit then set up a masternode and left it for a week or two. Difficulty is very low and not many masternodes so I now have plenty of tDASH.

I keep meaning to set up a script to send tDASH to the faucet ... one day I'll get round to it.

On the subject of Testnet.. Is there a need for more nodes/masternodes currently? I have a handful of VPS's that are paid up for a year but are currently not doing much. I was using these last year to contribute to testnet after Even's call for testers...

Yes i think it would be good as 12.1 is going to be on testnet soon. I am also going to turn some extra resources to test net this weekend. I think there is a need for more regular nodes running wallets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back