• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Need of communication strategy

Nthelight

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg6963167#msg6963167

Not allowed to post in the other thread, hence a new thread.

As anyone involved I concur that the communication issue should have been, and must now certainly be addressed.

More energy is spent on fighting trolls instead of implementing a working communication strategy to keep your IT operations healthy.
DRK is too big already for something like this to happen and such issues create opportunities for adversaries.

However, personally, I've experienced no issues during this transition phase, which I couldn't handle, but there's much room for improvement to get it done more efficiently.

The official updates of Evan should be seperate communication channel where his information doesn't get burried under nonsense.

Also, regarding #irc channels, communication should be spread over different topics (different parts of our business):

#darkcoin : official channel
#darkcoin-mining : everything related to pool & mining operations
#darkcoin-masternodes : everything related to masternode operations
#darkcoin-trading : everything related to exchanges & trading
#darkcoin-new : direct newcomers here (noobs come in the main channel to ask how to mine, during a fork ;) mmyeah..)

People should stay on topic. People who do not contribute need to receive a (temp) ban. Somebody needs to be the operator in those channels.

I prefer IRC myself to get the information, I'm no fan of Twitter, but it doesn't make it much easier. It gets pretty wild too..

Some way to force stakeholders to update, or to inform them = should be high priority. If only the wallet would show that you had to update and where you could download the new wallet. Please look at the innovation already available out there to implement such feature.

Note: The versioning should always be right on the website. This is confusing to anyone involved. Version should perhaps be in the filename. I didn't even know how I could check the version of 'darkcoin-qt.exe' without running it.

I bet many people where lost, at times, even those involved on a daily basis.

I welcome any improvement and am confident it will be addressed.

Sincerely,

Thanks for your hard work.

I manage http://chainz.cryptoid.info/drk/ and was hit by two forks, only update notifications I got was through difficulty crashing and github source changes...
It may not be the "official" explorer, but it's the one showing correct addresses, and with no downtime so far.

The official updates of Evan should be seperate communication channel where his information doesn't get burried under nonsense.
A dedicated critical updates channel with no chatter or random news is definitely required, email or dedicated twitter account would be preferable.

Forum/website announces and IRC are next to useless for critical issues IMHO, as the whole point is to be notified even when you're not online and away from a computer, and all you have is a smartphone.
Actually, given the market cap, sending SMS to the top involved people & pools could also make sense, in case you're in an area with poor 3G/4G coverage.

Forum/website/IRC announces however are required for users, but they're too slow to react in case of emergency.

Back