• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Move masternode to new IP

martinf

Hi,

The official guide for migrating a masternode is here:
https://dashpay.atlassian.net/wiki/display/DOC/Migrate+Server

It suggests that you need to stop the masternode and let it drop off the payment-list, before starting it with a new IP.

Now, I'm sure I've read a MN operator post instructions on how to migrate to a new IP _without_ dropping off the list. I can't seem to find it again though :( Might have been on reddit or somewhere else.

From what I remember it was just to shut down the old masternode and start it again on the new IP, with the same dash.con/masternode.conf and _not_ issue a new mn-start-x command from the main wallet. Apparently the node would "auto restart" itself.

The MN should stay on the list, with the old IP, but still get paid.

Can someone with better insight in how the masternode start up process works explain if and in that case also how that works?
Is it irrelevant that the IP in the masternode list is wrong?

Since this is not in the official guidelines I'm guessing that even though it might work, it's still not recommended.

Thanks

AFAIK you need to restart your masternode with the new IP from cold wallet.
Simply wait till it get paid and then move to different IP.

AFAIK you need to restart your masternode with the new IP from cold wallet.
Simply wait till it get paid and then move to different IP.
Good suggestion, get paid and then move to different IP will bring the least loss, I think.

Back