• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Monero Price Prediction 2019

dianadsouza

One of the well-known experts and influencers in the cryptocurrency market, John McAfee also makes a prediction saying Monero has the potential to challenge Bitcoin as a leading cryptocurrency. Similar to any other price prediction, this may or may not be true. But, it also indicates that experts also believe in Monero.

Find here Monero Price Prediction here.

We have privacy coins, and we have regular coins adding privacy. Government language is now negatively referencing these "privacy coins", and in so doing, acknowledging just how traceable bitcoin is.

I'm not a fan of monero, yet equally I have to admit, dash's "privacy" is looking a little out-dated. After Evo, I want to see Dash move to privacy-by-default. Failure to do so, will open us up to significant competition. Burying our head in the sand is not going to work. We either commit to strong privacy by default, or we lose, it's going to be that simple.

Currently, there are four or five schemes for privacy, implemented in different ways. Of them all, MimbleWimble is the best fit for dash. Transactions are carried out via a handshake i.e. the receiving party must sign and reply. It's kind of like receiving an invoice and then you pay. This setup is similar to dash's Blockchain Users i.e. both parties subscribe to each other. Dash's masternode network would be perfect for managing said handshake. The sender, for example, could ask the masternodes to pay someone within 24 hours, or void the transaction if it's not claimed.

The risk of turning into a cryptocurrency with privacy on by default is in my opinion :

A : Dash could end up getting wrongly classified as just another privacy cryptocurrency again, when we are trying so hard to correct this perceived image of Dash as just another privacy-centric cryptocurrency.
B : Dash could end up missing out on business integrations / partnerships, that actually rely on tracability / the open blockchain part of Dash.

Currently the number of PrivateSend transactions are so very low that it makes it difficult to even contemplate changing our privacy from optional to "on by default".
Link : https://dashradar.com/charts/privatesend-transactions-per-day

Getting back to Monero : i have noticed very low number of transactions in comparison with other competing cryptocurrencies, so i'm not all that impressed with Monero :

https://bitinfocharts.com/comparison/transactions-dash-bch-zec-xmr.html
https://messari.io/onchainfx (check number of payments & number of transactions 24hrs)

Basicly they seem to be failing their one and only use case : getting used as a privacy coin

Last edited:
@qwizzie change the word "privacy" to fungibility and you might change your mind. Are you sure businesses want a traceable not-very-fungible unit of exchange? How about the money they earn or the salaries they pay being public? Or their customers traceability being abused? This is why I say the "language of governments"; they are abusing the word "privacy" when it's really all about fungibility. At the moment we're in a situation where physical cash is, in some regards, more fungible than bitcoin.

Dash has a very narrow perspective of privacy; it simply allows someone to erase the history at one point in time. The only trustless way to mix is to run a desktop wallet, and it takes a long time.

I know traditionally, here at dash, we've had this idea that we can do both traceability and privacy, but I think the environment in which we operate is now very different. Traceability is good for things like supply chain, but dash is singularly targeting payments, and that requires fungibility by default.

Monero doesn't show well performance, there are dozens of coins that are simply better and have a bright future, I'm not sure in Monero

In my view, monero (like a lot of privacy coins), has two major issues, a) blockchain size and, b) structural complexity. Their use of bulletproofs has helped stem this a little, but their problems are fundamental; they can't, for example, prune their blockchain. These problems manifest in both deployment and the user experience.

Perhaps Monero can be called one of the favorites among anonymous cryptocurrencies. Why did the DASH team stop developing this area and focus more on positioning the coin as a means of payment rather than an anonymous cryptocurrency?

The anonymous / privacy-centric payment market is a niche market (a small limited market). Dash is trying to get mainstream adoption. Dash can not get mainstream adoption, if it limit itself to just focussing on anonymous transactions.
If you look at the transactions on both Monero's network and Dash network, its difficult to see how Monero got a successful use case with their sole focus on privacy :

https://bitinfocharts.com/comparison/transactions-dash-xmr.html#3m

If a crypto project wants to succeed and expand, it has to offer more use cases, which is what Dash has been striving to do with its Dash Platform / Dash Evolution project.

DASH - What is Dash Platform? (Formerly DASH Evolution)

In my view, monero (like a lot of privacy coins), has two major issues, a) blockchain size and, b) structural complexity. Their use of bulletproofs has helped stem this a little, but their problems are fundamental; they can't, for example, prune their blockchain. These problems manifest in both deployment and the user experience.

Monero has more issues :

* Locktime High Vulnerability Issue : senders can locktime their transactions at will, making it impossible for receivers to spend their coins. Users are not well-informed about this, there is a mention of this in their Monero Github readme.md
but who will actually read that ? (https://github.com/monero-project/monero/blob/master/README.md)

Certain blockchain "features" can be considered "bugs" if misused correctly. Consequently, please consider the following:

• When receiving monero, be aware that it may be locked for an arbitrary time if the sender elected to, preventing you from spending that monero until the lock time expires. You may want to hold off acting upon such a transaction until the unlock time lapses. To get a sense of that time, you can consider the remaining blocktime until unlock as seen in the show_transfers command.

This undermines Monero's decentralized trustless setup. You cant really trust the system to automatically provide safe transactions, when users have to verify each transaction for signs of malicious locktime activity.
It becomes more of a trusted setup, where users have to trust that transactions are not locktime tampered.

* Spendability Issue : After the next hard fork, Monero transactions will take 10 confirmations to get spendable (transactions get timelocked for 10 blocks). This makes it that much harder for Monero users to use Monero to buy something quick and fast. Not to mention that the hard fork will most likely fail to keep ASIC miners away. Its basicly a way of doing things backwards.

* Trust Issue : How on earth did Monero's official website got compromised to allow coin-stealing malware ? Some are talking about an inside job. There really needs to be some clear feedback about this, which is lacking at the moment.

Last edited:
I just don't see a forced privacy coin challenging for top spot. One of the major strengths is being an open ledger, privacy should be an option, not forced. In my opinion.

Back