• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Mining pools that actually work?

mrearthbound

Hello,

I just got my new Giant A900 miner from Baikal and it's all set up from what I can tell. I've tried to join several minin pools, but the miner's web interface says the status = alive, but active = false.

I've searched the recommended mining pools in the Dash mining pools page https://www.dash.org/pools/, but till almost a full day after the rig began operations, the pools have been inactive more time than otherwise. The only pool that seems reliable, I think it hasn't become inactive yet, is the suprnova.cc. The rest of them don't seem to work.

Is there an advantage to mine for several pools? Is it a good idea to have many in the case that one gets disconnected from the miner, so O don't waste Hash power by mining solo?

What are some of the mining pools that do work right now for you? Here are the ones I've tried. Any tips and comments are appreciated.

https://dash.suprnova.cc
https://www.ltcrabbit.com/index.php?page=gettingstarted
http://dash01.p2poolmining.us:7903/static/#
www.coinotron.com
https://www2.coinmine.pl/dash

Here's a picture of the pools. What are some of the numbers I should be paying attention to and what do they mean?

ea94ac905d440e76b9fa0137179c30d3.jpg

In my experience the machine can only be connected to (active: true) one pool at a time.

What your interface is telling you is that those pools are in fact active, meaning, those pools are up, and can be connected to. The Active tab will tell you which one is connected currently.

Your miner is connected to Suprnova, since I assume is it listed as the first miner on your Miner tab. Those other pools are failovers, in case the others are down. If Suprnova went down, your 2nd pool, the dash02.p2pool would connect.

99% of the time, the first one in the list will be Active, and the one listed there should be your preferred pool.

If you roll over the tabs you'll se what they are

PR - Priority (from the Miner tab)
GW - GetWork
Acc - Accepted Hash Rate
Rej - Rejected hash rate
Disc - Discarded hash rate
Last - Last Share Time
Diff1 - Difficulty of 1 Share
DAcc - Difficulty Accepted
DRej - Difficulty Rejected
DLast - Difficulty of Last share
Best - Best Share

If you'd like to know more about what those mean, take a look into how Bitcoin mining works.

The only pools I've used with my miner are Nicehash(when it's paying well), P2Pool, and Suprnova. I definitely recommend setting a P2Pool as your top pool, you'll earn more from it, and it helps decentralize.

The only problem I've had is finding a good wallet to mine to with P2Pool with the frequent payout. The Dash wallet is not recommended, neither are hardware wallets. This problem is less of an issue on something like Suprnova since they have minimum payouts.

Does anyone know a good wallet to mine to from P2Pool? - One that accepts many transactions per day, with many addresses on each transaction.

Hey obelisk,

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply. I'll play with the priority (I guess a lower number is higher priority) to have the pools switch to it and test for my self that it actually connects to it (active: true) for my own sanity.

I've heard of P2Pool. I think it's the second one I set http://dash01.p2poolmining.us:7903/. But why would I get higher earnings from it vs a regular mining pool? I guess it has to do with the trade-off between hash rate and amount of miners in a specific pool?

From reading the P2Pool wiki, I gather that, in my case, I'd have to connect a computer (or any other hardware that can run a full node) to the miner's network in order for the P2Pool to work. Correct?

I also see from the wiki's FAQ that the difficulty of P2Pools is high, and that it can take a while for my miner to gather shares. But what you're saying is that P2Pool will still be more profitable than other pools, such as suprnova, right?

Finally, why is the Dash wallet and hardware wallets not recommended for P2Pools?

Thanks!

I guess you've figured out out by now, but if not, here goes:
I'm a noob, but I have a baikal mini-miner and at the moment I only use p2pool. I've tried others, but always came back to p2pool. I can't post a link, but put www. before: p2poolmining.us/p2poolnodes/ and check out which nodes are closest by ping to you. Don't just base it on ping, also consider the % fee, low latency (GWTL) and see what stats they provide on their pages. Some have good graphs and stats, some do not. Some tell you exactly what address to use but on some you need to figure it out. Don't only go for the 0% fee ones, but of course try them out! I've tried several of the p2pools and my favorites in the USA were New York, Atlanta and Seattle. At the moment, I'm on on one in Germany (.5% fee) for the last week or so. It's supposed to adjust to each miner's correct difficulty. Seems like it's working ok now, but it was unreliable a couple of weeks ago.
I've had problems on other pools, where all is ok until a whale miner joins, then my performance drops, with erratic hashrate, increase in "rejected" etc. I haven't seen any good guidance on this, so I could be wrong, but I target pools with just a few other miners, all with a similar hashrate to me (I'm +/_ 150MH/s so I look for under 900 MH/s). I can't say that setting my difficulty (/+0.08) has made a difference.
BTW, the web interface on the mini-miner is the same as yours. It takes a bit of time to get used to!
My reason for jumping between several pools is that I'm a long distance from all of them, so I need to make a judgement by sampling rather than by a single ping. Having said that, I totally agree with advice not to jump between pools. At this stage, I only move if the pool I'm on is having problems. Also, be patient with each new pool and make sure you know about "PPLNS". Don't expect every pool to pay out the same from initial joining. Give them about 24H to stabilize the payouts. Then if it's not producing as you'd expect, move on. Any shares you leave behind from PPLNS will still be paid over the following day or two. A tip for tracking is to create a new DASH address for each pool and give it the pool name, then export the DashCore "transactions" to Excel so you can track your progress, at least until you know what averages you can expect.

I use the DashCore wallet and it works well. The only drawbacks are the large size (currently 3GB and rising), slow to start, slow to sync and uses a lot of computer resources. I tried Jaxx at the start, but it does not work for mining and I had problems recovering the already-mined dash to another wallet.

You don't need a computer, or to run any sort of node for p2pool. You've already set the miner via the web interface, so the only need for a computer is to monitor your output on the pool's website and to monitor your miner on it's local IP address.

Thanks a lot for the detailed answer, LMC. I'm actually in that same scenario where I need to compare payouts from different sources. I have already downloaded the Blockchain from the Dash Core Wallet. It's good to know that it has served you. I also like the fact that it can generate easily new addresses, from that I understand. I'm currently using the Exodus wallet for my Giant. Bit will probably switch over to Core.

It's also good to verify that some sites aren't really noob friendly to set up. So far suprnova.cc has given me ~0.3 Dash (~$20) per month now, which I find to be good. I think I'll give the p2pool a try.

Thanks!

Just to mention, 0.3 Dash/week is slightly less than I am averaging with my 150MH/s hashrate!
With your Giant, you should be mining more than that.
I've just bought a Baikal "Cube" so I'm looking forward to see what that can do!

I'm sorry, I meant to say 0.3 Dash per day with my Giant. Glad you bought a Cube! I bought one a few hours ago, as a matter of fact, from @JasonHan. Where did you buy yours?

Remember to buy the 12V @5A adapter to power it. According to Baikal, the circular connector to power it should be 5.5 mm on the outer connector and 2.5mm on the inner connector.

You can get them direct from Baikal now, but I don't think the supply will last long....
I guess I'll have to pay another visit to AliExpress for the power supply!

Awesome! Let me know how the deal goes. I'll post my experiences here as well.
I actually like the Giants better. More hash rate in a single package. The good thing about having many Minis are you can test faster the pool earnings, I guess. Also, it's easier to resell the hardware to other people.

Hello
I have a question Why I mine at nicehash solo pool dash only ca.220mh / s at all other pools 900 mh / s
Can you help me

upload_2017-4-16_10-39-28.png

upload_2017-4-16_10-34-12.png

I don't have much experience mining, so some of my statements may be wrong, bit from what I know, mining has a lot to do with experimentation. Like @LMC said, you probably want to try out different pools and stick with the one that works for you. Give a try to p2poolmining.us/p2poolnodes

I guess you've figured out out by now, but if not, here goes:
I'm a noob, but I have a baikal mini-miner and at the moment I only use p2pool. I've tried others, but always came back to p2pool. I can't post a link, but put www. before: p2poolmining.us/p2poolnodes/ and check out which nodes are closest by ping to you. Don't just base it on ping, also consider the % fee, low latency (GWTL) and see what stats they provide on their pages. Some have good graphs and stats, some do not. Some tell you exactly what address to use but on some you need to figure it out. Don't only go for the 0% fee ones, but of course try them out! I've tried several of the p2pools and my favorites in the USA were New York, Atlanta and Seattle. At the moment, I'm on on one in Germany (.5% fee) for the last week or so. It's supposed to adjust to each miner's correct difficulty.

Hello LMC and everyone,

How has the P2pool mining been working for you? I just got my first mine that is a Baikal A900 and are looking for advise or even tutorials that can help me put it to work.

Any advice on pools that are currently giving good dividends?

Thanks in advance for any help o recommendation that you could provide!

Hello LMC and everyone,

How has the P2pool mining been working for you? I just got my first mine that is a Baikal A900 and are looking for advise or even tutorials that can help me put it to work.

Any advice on pools that are currently giving good dividends?

Thanks in advance for any help o recommendation that you could provide!

There's a lot to this and I suggest you read the threads which are already created for this purpose. This site already has advice for beginners and mining, with external links where necessary. Also baikalminer has links to tutorials for setting their miners up. Once you've gone through this info and you have some specific questions come back here and we will do our best to help.
Ref the pools, you need to experiment to find which pool works best for you. Most pay similar shares based on your hashrate. Some pools are frequently down, so you would want to avoid those. Go back to earlier posts in this thread about selecting a pool. Key factors are a low PING and GWTL, closeness to you, the number of miners in that pool and their hashrate. For better advice, you need to give us specifics of the problem you are having.

@LMC, @mrearthbound, & @obelisk
Thanks for the good tips here. I've just received my first Cube 2 days back, and found your tips invaluable in getting in setup. I've just tried Mining Pooll Hub, but am not convinced it will earn me more than P2Pool, so have switched back, and need to wait a few days I guess to get a good impression of how much I can expect to generate per day.

I'm also looking to expand a bit with a Giant or Quad, so thanks for pointing to @JasonHan, I'm hoping he will have some stock soon.

As I said, thanks for the tips, very useful for this newbie at least!!!

@LMC, @mrearthbound, & @obelisk
Thanks for the good tips here. I've just received my first Cube 2 days back, and found your tips invaluable in getting in setup. I've just tried Mining Pooll Hub, but am not convinced it will earn me more than P2Pool, so have switched back, and need to wait a few days I guess to get a good impression of how much I can expect to generate per day.

I'm also looking to expand a bit with a Giant or Quad, so thanks for pointing to @JasonHan, I'm hoping he will have some stock soon.

As I said, thanks for the tips, very useful for this newbie at least!!!

You're welcome! Although I must say that p2pools haven't worked out for me. Coinmine.pl is *much* more profitable than the couple of p2pools I've mined in. Also, I like that you can have the pool give you a payment until you mined a certain amount of Dash, and not just micro transactions like p2pools do.

I haven't heard about Pool hub. I'm currently mining on Coinmine.pl and Zpool.ca. Where did you buy your 2 Cubes from?

As for @JasonHan , he still owes me one Cube I paid him back in April... So don't go throwing your money at him just yet.

In my experience the machine can only be connected to (active: true) one pool at a time.

What your interface is telling you is that those pools are in fact active, meaning, those pools are up, and can be connected to. The Active tab will tell you which one is connected currently.

Your miner is connected to Suprnova, since I assume is it listed as the first miner on your Miner tab. Those other pools are failovers, in case the others are down. If Suprnova went down, your 2nd pool, the dash02.p2pool would connect.

99% of the time, the first one in the list will be Active, and the one listed there should be your preferred pool.

If you roll over the tabs you'll se what they are

PR - Priority (from the Miner tab)
GW - GetWork
Acc - Accepted Hash Rate
Rej - Rejected hash rate
Disc - Discarded hash rate
Last - Last Share Time
Diff1 - Difficulty of 1 Share
DAcc - Difficulty Accepted
DRej - Difficulty Rejected
DLast - Difficulty of Last share
Best - Best Share

If you'd like to know more about what those mean, take a look into how Bitcoin mining works.

The only pools I've used with my miner are Nicehash(when it's paying well), P2Pool, and Suprnova. I definitely recommend setting a P2Pool as your top pool, you'll earn more from it, and it helps decentralize.

The only problem I've had is finding a good wallet to mine to with P2Pool with the frequent payout. The Dash wallet is not recommended, neither are hardware wallets. This problem is less of an issue on something like Suprnova since they have minimum payouts.

Does anyone know a good wallet to mine to from P2Pool? - One that accepts many transactions per day, with many addresses on each transaction.

I joined Kraken and they have wallets for most currencies... have been receiving frequent payouts on zcash from flypool and you have the ability to get several addresses for each of your coins. They have Dash too.. will start mining it soon after my new Giant Plus from Baikal arrives.

I've been trying to setup my baikal giant+ at supernova.cc Idk if I'm doing it right but I have a trezor with a dash address on it. I go to my account on suprnova and I enter my address in my account setting but it says my address is an invalid format which makes no sense to me? Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong it also says to put a DARK address?? I don't even know what DARK is

Back