• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Mining DarkCoin, a beginners journey...

Am always hearing that buying is the way to go, but I, too, would like to hobby mine;
would you suggest the same hardware as originally posted, or something else?

Last edited by a moderator:
You might be able to get away with using Nvidia cards since they can be found for a bit cheaper, and the cudaminer is getting them to work quite well. The hardware in op though is a great beginner rig, and card prices have come down a bit, so it'll be a little bit more cost-effective. Please note that with the increased attention, difficulty is enormous and making ROI back is slim. Caveat Emptor. Other than that though it's a lot of fun, and teaches you a bit about pc's and problem solving issues that come up.

That's good news for me, since I am most familiar with ASUS mobos and Nvidia cards.
There are a lot of "pre-owned" scrypt mining hardware out there for sale as it seems everyone is abandoning scrypt mining for antminers and gridseeds, BWDIK.
Yes, ROI will not be favorable, and I agree it's all about the challenge and fun of learning about the mining world.
Another way of looking at it would be - it's the price of education :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP what combined hash rate are you getting?

Thinking of building a rig. Currently my PC with HD7950 is getting 3.02Mhs and my cpu does about 0.50 mhs

Sounds like quite a bit of hashrate for a 7950! My r9's on old sgminer was getting about 2.6mh/s each. I've since stopped my miners however as I need to cut back on electricity over the summer months here.

Sorry its a 7970 OC 3GB I just doubled checked
Sounds like quite a bit of hashrate for a 7950! My r9's on old sgminer was getting about 2.6mh/s each. I've since stopped my miners however as I need to cut back on electricity over the summer months here.

Back