• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Miami Conference & Next Development Goals

eduffield

Core Developer
Hello Everyone,

The Miami conference was fantastic, we met people from all over the world and it seemed everyone was really interested in learning more about Dash. The Bitcoin community is becoming more aware of our project and it seems like although they were very excited about Dash, they all knew little about the specifics of what we were doing. During the conference we had the opportunity to educate hundreds of people about Dash, all of whom were highly supportive and wanted to help in any way they could after learning more about it.

During this conference we showed the masterplan for what Evolution would do and where we were eventually going, including showing a video of some of the features it already supports. I was also reminded personally of how amazing InstantX is after being dazzled by the InstantX soda machine along with everyone else, and hearing a lot of use-cases from Bitcoin merchants saying that InstantX would be a huge benefit. Then shortly after this, I started thinking of hundreds of applications of this technology.

During the conference, we developed new relationships some of them will be really valuable for the project going forward. One of which has granted us an invitation to the next Satoshi Roundtable (satoshiroundtable.org) in February this year. For those unaware, this is an invitation only event focused at the leaders of the bleeding edge of crypto. We are very excited to be part of this important event and have an opportunity to explain our technological approach to scaling Dash, instant transactions, and other technology we have to key influencers within the industry. This should be amazing and I can’t wait to share the outcomes of these interactions.

Along with all of the connections made during the last conference, we’ve been chatting with many Bitcoin supporters and the message that seems to resonate with everyone is that Dash is not a competitor to the Bitcoin project; but a complementary technology in a quickly developing industry full of innovation. We truly want to see the space as a whole thrive and develop into a much more mature financial industry. To make it there, we will need many companies and partners (centralized or decentralized, like our Decentralized Autonomous Organization) delivering various products and services. What does this mean for the industry? We believe Bitcoin is becoming the reserve currency of all of crypto, the settlement ledger and the best possible place to store value in the ecosystem long term. With other projects and products like Ethereum and Dash popping up, we will complement Bitcoin, providing decentralized services that the Bitcoin project simply can’t.

So what’s next for Dash? We’ve been rethinking Evolution after building the prototype, including swapping out websockets for a pure REST based decentralized API. This will allow for simpler access of the Dash network, with unique identifiers just like the Evolution prototype. Now it’s time to get back to the lab and start iterating through new versions of Dash core to get to Dash Evolution. This is all going to start with some core functionality that needs some attention. We will start by revisiting InstantX, DarkSend, the budget system, and more.

In the next few versions of the software, we are going to break down the required work of refactoring the whole codebase to support evolution into its logical steps.

• Prep work for 2MB blocksize increase
  • Develop plan for PrivacyProtect (Darksend v2)
  • InstantX security and processing improvements
  • Effective monitoring of InstantX transactions with RPC Commands
  • Faster Privacy Implementation
  • Privacy support for mobile devices with a new lighter client implementation
  • Mobile wallets capable of receiving IX transactions
  • Implementation of DashDrive, Masternode Quorum Chains, User Accounts, Decentralized API, then the REST API.
  • In 12.2 we should be able to raise the blocksize to 2MB

The prototype presented in Miami was a very simple version of the planned product. I believe we have the understanding now of what needs to be created and how to go about turning our platform into that safely and in an incremental fashion.

eduffield I have to ask you a question about Darksend. In a earlier Evolution graphic "instant anonymity" was promised. Now I saw you latest interview with "the daily decrypt" where you told it's going to take 1hour for mixing. What is correct now? Please tell, will we ever see instant Darksend, instant like InstantX?

Also I remember you told every transaction will be a Darksend by default, no pre-mixing needed, what's about that?

eduffield I have to ask you a question about Darksend. In a earlier Evolution graphic "instant anonymity" was promised. Now I saw you latest interview with "the daily decrypt" where you told it's going to take 1hour for mixing. What is correct now? Please tell, will we ever see instant Darksend, instant like InstantX?

Also I remember you told every transaction will be a Darksend by default, no pre-mixing needed, what's about that?

You just have to mix those coins, after that you can instantly send it.

This is a good question. I am curious about this as well.

You just have to mix those coins, after that you can instantly send it.

I know that I can pre-mix but people get in situations where they need to pay immediately and want stay anon but don't have darksend balance ready. I already had this situations. What would most people do in this case? Wait 1hour for mixing or choose, let's say, a cryptonote alternative and be much faster?

I am aware that Dash is much more than a anon coin these days, still I wouldn't be happy to see a competitor overtake us in this field.

I know that I can pre-mix but people get in situations where they need to pay immediately and want stay anon but don't have darksend balance ready. I already had this situations. What would most people do in this case? Wait 1hour for mixing or choose, let's say, a cryptonote alternative and be much faster?

I am aware that Dash is much more than a anon coin these days, still I wouldn't be happy to see a competitor overtake us in this field.

I would prefer we simply improve darksend like Evan said, but implement it all the time on evolution. Have only those involved with transactions understand them.

There are big changes with this release. Good to see giving InstantX receiving a priority with the Mobile wallets. Hopefully, the dashndrink moocowmoo code will give the mobile developers a headstart.

We may have some other new features with a wallet app coming soon...

Back