• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Message to receiver

DashICV

Hi I am very new to the Dash world.
I am try to Dash an amount to someone and I see the fields:
Pay To: for the address
Label: for a label in my address book.
Amount:

Is there a way to send a message (text) with the transaction so that the receiver will know what the dashed amount was for?
Or is this maybe something we have to await in Evolution :) ?

Thanks.

PS: I am using Dash Core Wallet v0.12.2.3

Hi there - this is not currently possible, although it could possibly be implemented since several other cryptocurrencies are testing messaging systems. There are some privacy considerations though - because blockchains are immutable, your message could potentially be read by everyone, forever unless some sort of asymmetric encryption is implemented. For now, it is possible to sign a message using the File > Sign message. If you include the transaction ID of the Dash you just sent and send the signed message to the recipient over another channel (email, chat, etc.) then the result is the same and privacy problem is resolved, or at least shifted to another system...

Great Stropy, thanks for the reply.
Just proves how new I am to this :rolleyes: didn't think of the privacy consideration if you would add it to the block chain.
Probably this will show my ignorance even more.
Would it theoretically be possible to encrypt the message and use the receivers public address so that only the receiver can decipher the message (having their private key)?

As far as I know that function is not implemented, and while I believe it could/should be possible, that is not the specific use case of the private key / public address mechanism on a blockchain. Standard public key cryptography seems to be more like what you are looking for here, you can check out keybase.io for a super cool implmentation of it, or just install some PGP app on your computer and start messaging!

Hi can i ask you someting please. I have a transaction not yet redemeed or someting i make transaction van binance to a other exhanche, but the don t answer etc. Can annulate it? or how i can get it back?

Thanks Strophy. It is not an issue at the moment and thanks for the alternatives.
When going for main stream adaption though I think this is something to consider.
When you currently make a bank transaction you always have the option for small message to identify what the payment is for.
Companies often use identification numbers to automatically process what a payment is for, right?
It often is not enough to know whom a transaction was from, you also need to know what it was for.
I am pretty confident you all already thought of that :) probably in the evolution.

Yes, this will possibly be in evolution. For now, the txid can be considered a message that both parties can be confident about. I would argue that actual communication of the reason for the payment does not belong on the blockchain. This is metadata that can and will be very different depending on the type of payment, and should be communicated on a separate channel appropriate for that sort of information. Just because the legacy banking system has 12 different fields that need to be filled out doesn't mean that this is the best or most efficient way of processing transactions!

From what I understand of the blockchain sofar, I would definitely agree that it should not be part of the blockchain and that it would be inefficient (unnecessarily blow up the blocksize).
Also it's nature is not permanent (I would think that 5-10 years is long enough) and it does not have to be public either.
So yes by all means a separate encrypted channel for that kind of meta data.
From a usability point of view, in the Dash wallet system it has to be transparent to the user though, wouldn't you agree?

Hi Richy22,

I am a newby myself I don't know what you can do in your situation.
It seems to me however that your question is not related to this topic.
Could you please in the support forum start a new topic with your question?

Thanks and I hope you will be able to resolve your issue quickly.

Back