• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Masternode setup on testnet

Miner237

Foundation Member
I am having trouble with initial setup, and doing this on test net to start. I followed wierdgod's guide on rc3 Masternode. When I launch darkcoind it says the darkcoin.conf file needs to have rpcpasssword. I am runnin Ubuntu 14. The file is there and using vi I can see rpcpasssword and rpcuser are both in the file. Has anyone come across this? This is the conf I used with the obvious changes made in production for rpc and mnprivkey. I tried the file in ./darkcoin and ./home/user/darkcoin/ did anything change with rc4 as far as this goes?

rpcuser=enter-new-LONG-RANDOM-STRING-fisjfijyou_should_change_this
rpcpassword=enter-new-LONGER-RANDOM-STRING-fissjfijyou_should_change_this
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
listen=1
server=1
daemon=1
logtimestamps=1
maxconnections=256
masternode=1
masternodeprivkey=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
addnode=23.23.186.131

Thanks for any help or ideas

I am having trouble with initial setup, and doing this on test net to start. I followed wierdgod's guide on rc3 Masternode. When I launch darkcoind it says the darkcoin.conf file needs to have rpcpasssword. I am runnin Ubuntu 14. The file is there and using vi I can see rpcpasssword and rpcuser are both in the file. Has anyone come across this? This is the conf I used with the obvious changes made in production for rpc and mnprivkey. I tried the file in ./darkcoin and ./home/user/darkcoin/ did anything change with rc4 as far as this goes?

rpcuser=enter-new-LONG-RANDOM-STRING-fisjfijyou_should_change_this
rpcpassword=enter-new-LONGER-RANDOM-STRING-fissjfijyou_should_change_this
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
listen=1
server=1
daemon=1
logtimestamps=1
maxconnections=256
masternode=1
masternodeprivkey=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
addnode=23.23.186.131

Thanks for any help or ideas
correct directory for config is ~/.darkcoin/ (or /home/user/.darkcoin/ ) - note the dot

or you could just use the datadir parameter so your call could look like
./darkcoind -datadir="<the full path to the folder where darkcoin.conf is located>
if you want to use the qt version ./darkcoin-qt -datadir works too.

correct directory for config is ~/.darkcoin/ (or /home/user/.darkcoin/ ) - note the dot

Yep totally missed the .darkcoin ok I'm pretty rusty in Linux was using ls, forgot about la

Now the .conf file is in there but when I run darkcoind start I get "couldn't connect to server" when I run just darkcoind I get "invalid masternodeprivkey. Please see doc"

I checked the privkey does match my local wallet. And local wallet is running and in sync...

I am starting over new privkey now need to wait for 6 confirms before trying again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep totally missed the .darkcoin ok I'm pretty rusty in Linux was using ls, forgot about la

Now the .conf file is in there but when I run darkcoind start I get "couldn't connect to server" when I run just darkcoind I get "invalid masternodeprivkey. Please see doc"

I checked the privkey does match my local wallet. And local wallet is running and in sync...

I am starting over new privkey now need to wait for 6 confirms before trying again.
you should run darkcoind with the key -testnet=1 when you start it and every time you run any command against it

Ok tracking back I tried to do this again, on the local wallet after genkey and paying zero address do you need to run "Masternode start" on the local, this may be where my problem is now, when I do that I get port not open 19999

Ok tracking back I tried to do this again, on the local wallet after genkey and paying zero address do you need to run "Masternode start" on the local, this may be where my problem is now, when I do that I get port not open 19999
Firewall was my problem on this after I purchased a new security gateway it works like a champ.

Back