• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Masternode on Tor network

Huyen John

Hey guys,
happy the whole fork issue is solved (tx to the crew)

Question,
can i set up a Masternode using Tor Network,
meaning that this Masternode is really 'undercover' and untraceable ?
(am thinking of future attack senarios)
Anybody has some thought on this ??
John

Seems like quite it would be a bit of a pita. If you are wanting to mask the ip you could probably setup tunneling forwarding through another vps.

Check dash ninja for ".onion"

Used to be a few. Don't know if they got paid. It's been a while since I bothered to look. DASH is dead. Masternodes are being abolished soon anyway. They're being reduced to shared savings account things where every homeless bum has a vote to cover up the fact that they aren't sufficiently incentivized for anyone else to run them. Get out while you can.

Just looked at dashninja. Yup, looks like the PoSe upgrades from early last year punted them.

Frankly, something like DASH's own OnionCat is long overdue.

For those who don't know, OnionCat superimposes a HSv2 address onto the unique address space of an IPv6 address. Essentially turning Tor into a giant public router with static addresses based on an existing addressing standard. It's entirely transparent to the OS. Tor becomes transport layer. I'd mentioned this a few years ago and all I got was deer-in-the-headlights...

HSv3 is a worthy upgrade to hidden services, but widely unused due to the huge address. It also breaks this OnionCat business. But, DASH doesn't need OnionCat, it needs something native which is similar. It could be built from the ground up, and doesn't need to shoehorn into IPv6. OnionCat merely demonstrates the idea.

There's an 8 year old video on YouTube about it. I can't link it for some reason. Probably because I'm a deplorable or whatever... The topic is hidden by constantly calling it a VPN. Which I guess it technically is, but that actually hides the magnitude of it and is so oversimplified it borders on not being true... Typical snowflakes trying to communicate through their feelings and lack of contact with reality, but I digress... The notion is incredibly cool, but it gets lost in the terrible translation from Clown World to Reality.

It's a 44 minute long video, but the part that actually matters starts around the 15 minute mark.

This is older than DASH... But still not here...

Last edited:
One of the reasons I am starting CryptOVH is to give people the option of anonymity while renting dedicated servers and VPS, without having to jump through hoops. I don't see DASH as being dead, far from it.

One of the reasons I am starting CryptOVH is to give people the option of anonymity while renting dedicated servers and VPS, without having to jump through hoops. I don't see DASH as being dead, far from it.
I considered an onion service for MNs, kinda like what moocow does. But I don't want to be a competitor of a service I think is good in a space that simply hasn't got room for more players, I would have to renounce my citizenship to do it, and, frankly, I see no future in it. It'd be cool if it existed, but also a dumb move. Masternodes don't pay anymore. For the high-maintenance and low payout, pretty much anything else is a better place to put your money. The plan is to make this even worse and eventually completely ruin the dynamic of having intelligent people make the decisions. Which isn't a huge loss since MNOs already prove on a regular basis that they're idiots. Right now it's a mix, with intelligent decision makers being a distinct minority. But converting them into publicly published shared operator/savings account scale payouts means that all but the dumbest will be involved... Deliberately filtering for the worst option isn't a plan I want to be a part of. The smart move is to let the echo chamber be and get out of DASH.

A lot of cool ideas that might have benefitted DASH...

I'm not going to try inflating a tire that's on fire...

Last edited:
Hey guys,
happy the whole fork issue is solved (tx to the crew)

Question,
can i set up a Masternode using Tor Network,
meaning that this Masternode is really 'undercover' and untraceable ?
(am thinking of future attack senarios)
Anybody has some thought on this ??
John
What is MasterNode?

Back