• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Masternode appearing in wrong country

HowlingMad

Hi all,
I am using a split wallet/masternode as "Tao of Satoshi" guide setup. My wallet is in the US but my server is in Germany.

I would have thought the Masternode list would publish the server in Germany, but it list the node as residing in the US.

What gives?

Geolocation by IP is not exact - different geolocation sites may give you different guesses about where a server is. Chaeplin's old page thought my UK servers were in Romania, for example. Of course, whoever you are renting your VPS's from might claim to be in Germany but be sub-letting VPS instances from somewhere else.

Accoding to ARIN, http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-108-61-170-0-1/pft, the American Registry of Internet Numbers. This service resides in Germany. And I have tracked it via traceroute to the Netherlands, The confusion seems to be from whether the geolocation service reports the physical location or the contact information for the IP block owner. In this case, the block range is in Germany, but the contact info for the owner is in the US.

I am wondering though if the masternode list is reporting the wallet location because of the algorithms used during 'masternode genkey', and reporting that info?

I selected a server in Germany to give my node another level of obfuscation.

Back