• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Master Nodes for non IT guys

aleix

Foundation Member
Hi all,

The Darkcoin project is now starting a new phase with Darkcoin Master Nodes. If we want a strong net, I think most of master nodes must belong to members of our community.
I (and I think a lot of people in our community) manage myself well with computers, but I’m not a professional IT guy.
I want to create some master nodes, I love the project of darkcoin and I want to be part of it, but I don’t know how. I would like to ask the community for help.

- What I need to learn about? Some resources available that you know?
- Can you explain main steps to set up a new node?
- What are the main security problems?
- (please, noobs, add your own questions)

I have a lot of time to learn (and I understand I can lose my darks If I all get wrong)

tnks,

BTW I offer myself as a moderator of spanish section :cool:

Currently nothing is written in stone regarding master nodes. To run a regular node now and to help the network, forward port 9999 to your wallets IP address. You'll know it's working when you have more then 8 connections to your wallet.

While having people wanting to get involved is great, having an insecure master node is not just risky for you in losing the 1000 DRK (~$700) but it also compromises the anonymity of the network as a whole, which is the reason for such a high cost in running one.

So it is for that reason that I would strongly caution you against trying to set one up unless you absolutely know what you are doing and can do it.

While having people wanting to get involved is great, having an insecure master node is not just risky for you in losing the 1000 DRK (~$700) but it also compromises the anonymity of the network as a whole, which is the reason for such a high cost in running one.

So it is for that reason that I would strongly caution you against trying to set one up unless you absolutely know what you are doing and can do it.

That's why I am asking for help from you professional guys. You know, for greed or fun, people will try to run one.

We better start teach each other.

That's why I am asking for help from you professional guys. You know, for greed or fun, people will try to run one.

We better start teach each other.

I'm in your boat too, I can manage a computer reasonably well but I'm certainly no professional IT guy. I imagine it's mostly set and forget isn't it? Sure, when new vulnerabilities become known action would need to be taken, but how often would settings need to be tinkered with?

A guide for people new to this stuff would be most welcome. I'm in the same boat as patrolman - good enough with computers but not familiar with setting up a node like this. Maybe it's not as hard as it seems though!

Insecure master nodes are not a good Idea. Rogue nodes etc harm the network.
Precisely why we need a comprehensive, idiot-proof guide to help people set them up. Not because they should, but because they inevitably will whether we like it or not, especially when there's profit to be had.

What if there was something like a setup wizard built into the client that could walk you through the steps of setting up a master node? I don't know if this would even be possible, but just an idea.

I just set up a masternode - it isn't that hard, but I'll write a step by step (although evan has done a pretty good one in the developer thread).

So, as I get started, what sort of questions do you have? Are you already familiar with Linux, or should I give some explanation of what is going on with the OS as well?

Darksend will eventually be open source - everyone who wants to should be able to participate. I don't think the network will be that fragile that it won't survive people making mistakes. If it was that fragile, it really wouldn't be the solution we all want.

I just set up a masternode - it isn't that hard, but I'll write a step by step (although evan has done a pretty good one in the developer thread).

So, as I get started, what sort of questions do you have? Are you already familiar with Linux, or should I give some explanation of what is going on with the OS as well?

I am not familiar with Linux, I think I need an "step by step" from the beginning :rolleyes:

If you need some spanish/catalan translation just ask. It's all I can give to this awesome community

Tnks a lot!!

I haven't forgotten this.. I"m planning on working on it this weekend, after I work through some of the changes with the new RC.

I am starting to get freaked out. Why? because I now have >1k DRK ready to put into a master node. Though very techy and capable, I'm no pro, and I'm fearing for my coins.
I probably think AWS, but the server admin (you) is responsible for firewalls and ddos's and general protection.

Once the node is set up, coins dropped, encrypted and backup, the rest is just managing to keep it up and alive, correct? Couldn't these master nodes run on TOR ?

I would love some links that may help with setting up a master node - not just step-by-step directions, but also some links to learning linux sysadmin from the ground up.

Hi Folks

I would like to set up the nodes as well , but as the other folks in the above post I am not that professional in that sphere. However, a guide step by step would be appreciated. Currently, I am a business and administration student in Switzerland and I could help this community to promote it here and there. I have some knowledge in marketing, etc. I see a bright future in Dark coin , so lets push it to the end. ;)

I would love some links that may help with setting up a master node - not just step-by-step directions, but also some links to learning linux sysadmin from the ground up.

It's not linux, but you could read the FreeBSD handbook. It's about 800 pages and after reading it you will have a general idea of what you should study further. =)

Right now there is still a considerable amount of change going on with the code, etc. I'm sure you saw that the hard fork had difficulties over the weekend. Personally, I run my masternode on my own server behind my own firewall.

Back