• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Lost Dash Password

r-ando

Foundation Member
Hi everybody,

I hope this message finds you well and in better shape than me. :)

The issue I have is that I have a degenerative disease that is affecting my memory and I can't remember my Dash Password. I listened to Tungfa and tried to get Dave from wallet recovery services to help crack it but he didn't succeed unfortunately. I have just over half a masternode in the wallet...

I used to have another password for the wallet. I would like to know, is there a way to use my old backups with the old password to recover my coins? Thanks so much everyone and all the best, cheers.

Last edited:
oh bummer
keepassxc (passwordmanager) is my recomondation for 2018
(same as it was from 2014 onwards)

“old password + old backups”
sure if u have them and they work go for it

u could ping quantumexplorer to see if he can help bruteforce password otherwise

Hi Tungfa, thanks for responding so fast! :)

I will definitely write my new passwords down in multiple locations from now on and check out keepassxc. I still have my old backups and the old password but for some reason it says wrong password when I enter it into the core wallet. Someone told me the minute I connect it changes the .dat file and the old password doesn't work anymore. I was wondering why the old password didn't work on the old backups...

So I was wondering if someone could help me figure something out so the old password would work on the old backups... Wow did I ever get unlucky, I was diagnosed two years ago with a degenerative brain disease right after changing my password... I'v been trying to remember it ever since without success...

Btw: Its nice to see your still involved with Dash Tungfa, its nice to talk to a familiar person. And if I can't figure out something with the old backups and password I'll ping quantum explorer, thanks again. :)

Last edited:
sorry to hear man

old backups work with old passwords
wallet.dat files do NOT change passwords - only u can !
maybe spelling mistake ?
@QuantumExplorer u wanna give a hand here ?

yup me still here - same old ;)

Hmm Rando, do you think you would have used a password manager or would it have been an easy password like ILOVEDASH456? Basically I know you don't remember, but I need to know what I'm working with here.

Hi Quantumexplorer,

I have a bunch of backups and used different passwords in the past. So I don't remember which password I would have used for the individual backups unfortunately. I know what kind of passwords I used but I can't remember exactly which one I used... I know not great...

Is there any reason why an old password would not work with an old backup? Thanks!

Back