• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Is Segregated Witness also coming to DASH?

SegWit is an optimization solution. Not a scaling solution.
Nonetheless the benefits clearly outweigh the disadvantages, so it's an easy choice. We certainly don't need a Masternode vote on this one.

Yeah, I agree but why not vote on it as well? Someone should get to decide if the benefits outweigh the disadvantages. Some good PR can come of it as well.

Dash community voted for a 2MB block increase and voted for segregated witness as well. The best of both worlds from both Bitcoin Classic and Bitcoin Core teams.

I can see this in an article talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because wasted 5 DASH burned and lost forever for a simple design choice. We can't vote on every new feature, it would bring development progress to a screeching halt. Plus PR would mostly be negative: "Oh look, another copycat implementing SegWit!". We should implement it quietly and with grace.

I see the 2MB bump vote mostly as a publicity stunt and a one time thing. We use DGBB to vote on budget proposals, no extra payment is needed for design choices.
I was actually quite surprised that Evan made a vote on that in the first place after I suggested to apply a vote on BIP101 for publicity purposes before the Miami conference

Im confused about this. I thought I heard that segwit had been implemented in dash, but this post makes it look like we went for blocksize instead. `did we get the segwit change? I am wondering if we have an opportunity to suggest investigating a link to the lightening network, which is currently stalled.

Im confused about this. I thought I heard that segwit had been implemented in dash, but this post makes it look like we went for blocksize instead. `did we get the segwit change? I am wondering if we have an opportunity to suggest investigating a link to the lightening network, which is currently stalled.
No, we don;t have SegWit. Masternodes only decided to increase the block size to 2MB when it'll become necessary to scale up.

No, we don;t have SegWit. Masternodes only decided to increase the block size to 2MB when it'll become necessary to scale up.
ok - I was thinking that since bitcoin is stalled there is an opportunity to talk to the lightening network people. But now I am starting to think its not going to fly. After all, our network is already fast, and has equivalent technology which is better. Thanks for the info :)

equivalent technology which is better.
Comparing IX to Lightning is like comparing the Tesla Roadster to a balsa skateboard with only 2 wheels.

Lightning is not at all what it is made out to be. It's basically gyft with post-conversion fiat. That's it. It's a pre-paid trust-required side-chain with more leeches...

Bitclones' "Organic Ecosystem" is a collection of convoluted band-aids for it's lack of features and defect set.

A septic infection growing in an open wound is an "Organic Ecosystem" too...

I hoped DASH would be the H2O2 for this problem, but with the banksters bending Evan's ear, I have my doubts...

SegWit isn't the only way to improve the Dash blockchain, Flexible Transactions is another. While there is no immediate risk that Dash will hit a capacity limit (it currently has 4x the capacity of Bitcoin, and could easily absorb all current Bitcoin traffic), there is time to explore many options and choose the best one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is probably another question that could be resolved within 24 hours with the Dash governance system but it wouldn't be a good idea imho, getting involved in such a heavily polarised and over-controversial argument can only lead to alienation of one side or the other, better to wait until it's resolved and continue with whichever codebase wins out. Also, thanks to the Masternode network Dash has far more options than Bitcoin for addressing scalability and may choose a different route entirely, possibly one where the outcome of that disagreement makes little difference.

I agree that I don't think this needs a vote. It seems to be working quite well that the masternodes elect a core team, and then the core team makes technical decisions. I always saw the block size limit vote as more of a publicity stunt to show off Dash's governance – the core team would almost certainly raise the block size limit if it was necessary and feasible. Likewise, I'm sure they'll make a good call on whatever changes to the transaction/blockchain format are necessary in time.

You guys are so mature and sensible its a breath of fresh air. Here's a different concern I have. Lack of Liquidity. On Poloniex Dash can yield lending rates of up to 1% per day sometimes. Other currencies are more like .01 or less. This is because everyone stashes their Dash in Masternodes where it is safe a generates income. But that will lead to serious shortages when Dash gets popular. I know, we want that, the price will skyrocket, but is it possible that the supply will become too tight to service a serious audience if everyone with Dash saves it?

But that will lead to serious shortages when Dash gets popular. I know, we want that, the price will skyrocket, but is it possible that the supply will become too tight to service a serious audience if everyone with Dash saves it?

It's not really possible to have a shortage of money (not cryptocurrency anyway) as long as that money is suitably divisible. Even if there is only 1 dash in circulation, it can still be used to transact, as long as the system supports enough decimal places to chop it up. The same is true of gold, but cryptocurrency is even better, in the sense that an amount of money doesn't have to be "big enough to handle and see" like it does with gold coins. The exact weight of a gold coin has no bearing on it's usefulness as money.

True enough. But with so few dash available the price would be highly volatile - exactly what people don't want. Anyone else think this is worthy of a thread?

Back