• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Is it possible to have multiple accounts on dashcore from the GUI

JZA

Hi is there a way I can create multiple wallets on DASHcore from the GUI?
Basically I want to have separate wallet for different people without having to create a system user on my system.
Sometimes wallets have commands like setaccounts "dash-address" "account"
What would the process to do that on the GUI.

In Dash Core, accounts are groups of 1 or more addresses. I use a separate account for each received transaction to document what the payment was.

This is by no means what you are looking for. Accounts in Dash Core (and other Core wallets) are just the labels that we use for addresses. It is possible to have more than one address for each label or account, but then we lose tractability concerning our own received coins.

There are ways to create separate wallets on the same computer, even using the same user on the computer. This link goes over the basic idea: https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/guide-to-run-multiple-wallets-on-pc.4995/. Keep in mind that some of it is out of date.

Hello I am am newbie. I'm having problems trying to sync my wallet. It started syncing then I got a message Error reading from database shutting down. I am running MAC OS X 10.11.6 could there be a compatibility issue?

Hi @JZA

I also have separate wallets for separate projects. Personally I don't recommend using accounts in one wallet for different projects. Accounts are a wallet feature that comes from early bitcoin development and is a feature that is being deprecated in core wallets.

I'm using Linux, so my solution might not work for you. Also I am not an expert, so I'm not sure my solution is the best.

Using dash-cli I create a backup of the ProjectA wallet to projecta.dat, and for ProjectB I create a backup projectb.dat. When I want to load the ProjectA wallet, I copy projecta.dat to wallet.dat, and then when I'm done, I backup to projecta.dat. Same thing when I am working on ProjectB. I created bash scripts to do this with simple shell commands (aliases). I'm sure this same procedure can be done with

I have to be very careful about not copying these files when a wallet is running, and I have to be very careful not to accidentally overwrite the wrong file (backup, backup, backup!).

This is probably isn't an elegant solution, but it works for me. You should probably get some advice from someone with more expertise than me.

Back