• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Is it possible to create a Asic miner that can mine Dash and BTC?

Junktion.io

I have seen dual mining in claymores before but asic mining is very new to me. Is this possible? to have two asic chips in one miner?

Only half of the chips would be functional at any given time, unless you are mining both coins at the same time. The hardware design would be very complicated and they would need to connect to different pools anyway - have you considered just buying two different miners and bolting them together?

Joking aside, the chips in an ASIC are physically capable of doing one thing only. If there is any change in the algorithm, different hardware is required. There is no superfluous circuitry that is "unused" in an ASIC while it is running, so it's not like the Claymore dual miner that can mine e.g. one memory bus intensive coin and one processor intensive coin at the same time. This kind of optimisation of unused resources is only possible with more generalised processors such as GPUs and CPUs.

Back