• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Is Dash-core more secure than electrum dash for long term storage?

from a n00b perspective it definitely is

i can cold store my wallet.dat / double encrypt that (save in multi drives and locations) and feel double save :rolleyes:
i like electrum for daily in/outs but do not use it as a 'savings account'

that is me personal - the pros can propably tell u the tech background of the pro and con much better ;)

thanks tungfa.

i'm also looking into getting a hardware wallet. i'm wondering if trezor is my only option for dash.

anytime
trezor, keepkey,.... and i believe even others will be available
but they need 12.1 to work (again) - electrum issue as far as i know

from a n00b perspective it definitely is
i can cold store my wallet.dat / double encrypt that (save in multi drives and locations) and feel double save :rolleyes:

Electrum allows you to use a 12 word mnemonic to backup your wallet(s). For cold storage, you don't need an installed electrum anywhere. You just need those 12 words, plus a password for each individual wallet you make. Restoring is very quick, since there is no full blockchain synchronization.

When all you have are words to backup, you can get pretty creative with how you want to hold them for cold storage. You can hide part of the sentence in location A and part of it in location B. You could make a cypher and hide the encoded text somewhere. You could memorize all the words and not use any backups besides your brain. Wallet.dat are susceptible to file corruption, and flash drives degrade. Also, you can take a look at the "Cryptosteel" product for a long term degradation-proof, fire-proof way of backing up your mnemonic.

And last but certainly not least, with Electrum you can use multisig! There's nothing better than multisig for cold storage. You can use 2/2,or better yet 2 of 3 (or more) in which case you store one seed yourself, have a trusted friend store the other for you, and have a backup in a safety deposit box in case one of you kicks the bucket or house burns down, etc. Any two of the three wallets (mnemonic seed+pwd) will be able to authorize a spend. Many more options for cold storage security exist with Electrum.

Electrum allows you to use a 12 word mnemonic to backup your wallet(s). For cold storage, you don't need an installed electrum anywhere. You just need those 12 words, plus a password for each individual wallet you make. Restoring is very quick, since there is no full blockchain synchronization.

When all you have are words to backup, you can get pretty creative with how you want to hold them for cold storage. You can hide part of the sentence in location A and part of it in location B. You could make a cypher and hide the encoded text somewhere. You could memorize all the words and not use any backups besides your brain. Wallet.dat are susceptible to file corruption, and flash drives degrade. Also, you can take a look at the "Cryptosteel" product for a long term degradation-proof, fire-proof way of backing up your mnemonic.

And last but certainly not least, with Electrum you can use multisig! There's nothing better than multisig for cold storage. You can use 2/2,or better yet 2 of 3 (or more) in which case you store one seed yourself, have a trusted friend store the other for you, and have a backup in a safety deposit box in case one of you kicks the bucket or house burns down, etc. Any two of the three wallets (mnemonic seed+pwd) will be able to authorize a spend. Many more options for cold storage security exist with Electrum.

tx for the details
good to know

me as a n00b likes to 'secure' something physical (wallet.dat)
helps my brain and is not too theoretical (as 12 words only) :rolleyes:

Understood. That's exactly why wallet.dat is the prime target of crypto-thefts--it's easy. Also not nearly as secure if someone gets ahold of one of those flash drives and runs decryption software on it.

I can't believe I forgot to mention the other prime benefit of Electrum-Dash! Offline transaction signing. You can generate an Electrum-Dash wallet on a completely offline computer for signing transactions, and use an internet-connected computer to broadcast them.

See my older post on this here https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/secure-place-to-store-dash-besides-qt.7609/#post-83705.

Basically it already has the functionality of a HW wallet where you can still spend from the cold wallet without compromising its password/private keys. You do need a second computer, though.

Well for me Trezor and Electrum DASH have not been a good option. Trezor no longer works with Electrum DASH on OSX and I have not been able to access my DASH for several months now.

Well for me Trezor and Electrum DASH have not been a good option. Trezor no longer works with Electrum DASH on OSX and I have not been able to access my DASH for several months now.

sorry to hear - that really sucks
this is a 12.1 issue and will be fixed when 12.1 launched

At this time, I would not recommend trying to use electrum-dash with Keepkey either ... at least on windows.

The installation instructions have a lot of errors and I cannot get it to work properly.

I'm hoping everything will work better after 12.1 is released.

Back