• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Im trying to understand something

Ryan McMahan

Ive been with bitcoin and altcoin community's for about 4 years so far, I have decent knowledge of how most coins work.
I am currently working on an older coin that was from 2014 that died in 2015-2016, I am working with a team that is trying to revive the coin in which we are having a great start.
The code that we are using is too old and i would like to just fork something newer and start the project on that(with a coin swap).

I am having trouble understanding how the blockchain identifies itself. From what i have seen so far it appears that a string of characters is used to make a unique id for the blockchain.

If i where to fork dash could I in theory just put the same information as the old coin and update all the nodes and clients and it would still use that chain?
I have searched everywhere and cannot find any new information on this to help me understand how this works.

Also does anyone have any modern guides for forking a coin, for example how to reset the genesis block, how to change coin amounts etc.

Thanks for your help and by far dash looks like one of the best coin ideas out of all of them.

Ive been with bitcoin and altcoin community's for about 4 years so far, I have decent knowledge of how most coins work.
I am currently working on an older coin that was from 2014 that died in 2015-2016, I am working with a team that is trying to revive the coin in which we are having a great start.
The code that we are using is too old and i would like to just fork something newer and start the project on that(with a coin swap).

I am having trouble understanding how the blockchain identifies itself. From what i have seen so far it appears that a string of characters is used to make a unique id for the blockchain.

If i where to fork dash could I in theory just put the same information as the old coin and update all the nodes and clients and it would still use that chain?
I have searched everywhere and cannot find any new information on this to help me understand how this works.

Also does anyone have any modern guides for forking a coin, for example how to reset the genesis block, how to change coin amounts etc.

Thanks for your help and by far dash looks like one of the best coin ideas out of all of them.

Hi do you have a group i can join to get updates on this coin, I like to get in on things early.
Thanks

Thanks for the info, Jack I am not able to post a link yet, Search bitcoin talk for usde there are 2 announcements for it. click the newest one.

Back