• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

If someone can hack the server running master node

bhkien

Anyone help me to answer this:

Can hacker spend Darkcoin when he hacked into server running master node?

Thank you,

Anyone help me to answer this:

Can hacker spend Darkcoin when he hacked into server running master node?

Thank you,

If you are running a hot wallet on your server, yes. If it is cold/remote where the masternode doesn't contain the 1k on server, then no.

You have a wallet on your PC and a remote deamon on a VPS. The 1000 drk are only on your PC.

i've been running 70+ hot nodes for months. as long as they are encrypted and you follow some basic security measurements and never log in again, you are fine.

http://serverfault.com/q/592744/116529

edit: i'm not recommending hot setups. go for cold/remote setups if you are not confident.

Last edited by a moderator:
It means we can running master node without wallet.dat file?
No... there is always going to be a wallet.dat file generated when the daemon is run if there isn't one already there. In a cold/remote setup, the wallet.dat file on the remote masternode (the VPS) is unfunded and 0. It doesn't matter if your server is comprised because there is essentially nothing to take. Even if you ran a hot node setup with the 1k wallet.dat file located on the server, I'd assume it's encrypted with a strong password and you are taking other precautions (example, 2FA, clearly bash history with passphrase, etc) to protect access to it.

Thank you all,

How about masternodeprivkey that generated by command "masternode genkey" we put in darkcoin.conf?

If hacker get that, can he spend money in the wallet?

Back