• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

I suggest using hybrid Masternode PoS + PoW mining

Technologov

For Dash: vs PoW it is better to build a hybrid PoW+PoS because we could do odd numbered blocks via PoW Mining and even numbered blocks via Masternodes (PoS), increasing defences vs 51% attacks (attacker will need to have both 51% POW + 51% stake to attack Dash... )
I propose to tech Masternodes to mine blocks by themselves, without PoW.

PoW is still needed to solve certain problems with PoS staking (like 'nothing-at-stake' problem, etc...), I find hybrid mining beneficial.

If we also lower bounty for PoW mining, this will make our world a greener place (since less electricity is gonna be wasted on Dash network defences, while protection itself would improve)

This is relevant for Dash because small altcoins are constantly getting 51% attacked and exchanges are suffering, including Bitcoin Gold (BTG), Litecoin Cash (LCC) and Horizen (ZEN)...)

Attacking Dash is not very expensive, according to this website:
https://www.crypto51.app/

and now Dr. Craig Wright publicly threats to attack Bitcoin Cash network, a network bigger than Dash, and he might be able to pull this off.
https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/9b9mf0/csw_threatens_to_double_spend_steal_and_attack/

I opened official feature request on github:
https://github.com/dashpay/dash/issues/2268

(cross posted in General Forum and tech discussion, since no answers there)

What do you think ?

Last edited:
Attacking Dash is not very expensive, according to this website
Their numbers are not correct.
Dash network hashrate is about 1.66 PH/s
All offers on nicehash for X11 is 545 TH/s. I don't know exactly what these offers really mean - is it a theoretical hashrate (and now it's not included in current network hashrate) or is it a working hashrate (and now it's included in current network hashrate) - so it's in between from 24.7% to 32.8% of current network hashrate.
It's far from 51%. I mean where attacker going to get this missing hashrate? Will buy at least 15000 pcs of Antminer D3?
IMO the problem is not topical.

and now Dr. Craig Wright publicly threats to attack Bitcoin Cash network, a network bigger than Dash, and he might be able to pull this off.
Oh, come on! This guy made several successful PoC (Proofs-of-Clown). :D Who takes him seriously?

Buying 15000 D3 miners ($500 each = $7.5M, flat price) is much cheaper than buying 2000 Masternodes. ($400M and rising, because market of Dash is very thin .. After anyone buys a hundred Masternodes, Dash prices will rise quickly).

Attacking vs. POS is much more expensive than vs. POW coins. (but because POS have theoretical weaknesses going hybrid makes the most sense)
---
CoinGeek, a pool run by a friend of Craigh Wright already controls like 33% of BCH hashpower. Getting to 51% is definitely doable if they are willing to mine at a loss for a limited time, to attack the network.

Back