• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

How do I upgrade Dash wallet to 12.1 without losing all my Dash coins?

hound9753

Hi,

I saw on an episode of The Cryptoverse on Youtube that the Dash project is now requiring people to upgrade their Dash wallets to 12.1. I downloaded the upgrade and installed it and promptly lost all of my Dash coins, so had to to a system restore to retrieve them. Fortunately the old wallet was restored and it still contains the Dash coins.

Is there an explanation somewhere as to how to upgrade the wallet without losing any coins?

Thanks

hound9753

Hi,

I saw on an episode of The Cryptoverse on Youtube that the Dash project is now requiring people to upgrade their Dash wallets to 12.1. I downloaded the upgrade and installed it and promptly lost all of my Dash coins, so had to to a system restore to retrieve them. Fortunately the old wallet was restored and it still contains the Dash coins.

Is there an explanation somewhere as to how to upgrade the wallet without losing any coins?

Thanks

hound9753
Official quide: https://dashpay.atlassian.net/wiki/display/DOC/Updating+to+12.1+-+Users

Why update to 12.1?
My wallet (12.0.56 - 32 bit) seems to work and sychronizes both with 12.1 and with 12.0.58 masternodes.
Of course it crashes sometimes, but it recovers, so I am get used to it.

Additionaly those guidelines are sick!
Update local wallet
step 1) shut down your wallet. allow it to completely shut down. wait 30-60 seconds.
we want to make sure all the files are completely closed.

step 2) check you have about 3 Gigabytes of free disk space.
we need room for a temporary second copy of the dash blockchain.

step 3) open the folder containing your dash folder
Linux /home/username
open a terminal and type cd

Win

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming click start, type %appdata% and hit enter
Mac /home/username/Library/Application Support in finder, press shift-command-G, type: "~/Library/Application Support" and hit Go
optionally: open your dash folder and delete your debug.log to free up some space

step 4) duplicate your dash folder and rename the copy to dashcore
Linux .dashcore
cp -pr .dash .dashcore

Win

DashCore click the Dash folder, press control-c, then press control-v. once copied, rename to DashCore
Mac DashCore click the Dash folder, press command-c, then press command-v. once copied, rename to DashCore
step 5) open your dashcore folder and delete the cache files
throw away all dat files EXCEPT your wallet.dat.
Delete:

• debug.log
      • budget.dat
      • peers.dat
      • fee_estimates.dat
      • mncache.dat
      • mnpayments.dat
step 5) download and install dash 12.1
open a web browser and go to https://www.dash.org/get-dash/

choose the wallet for your platform, download, and install

step 6) launch the wallet, choose "YES" I want to rebuild the block index
12.1 uses a different indexing format so must walk the entire blockchain.

step 7) take a break, grab a sandwich, enjoy some sun
this can take anywhere from 3 to 4 hours depending on your machine
once complete, enjoy your new upgrades!

step 8) after the new wallet is put through it's paces, maybe in March
delete your original dash folder
For what reason you chasten the normal users to do so many steps?
Why those steps arent written into a script?

I ll tell you why.

Because the silly masternode owners vote in the budget and they pay advertisers, marketers, and youtube channels, instead of paying developers.

One day you are going to pay very expensive your voting customs, to pay a lot people who do not deserve to be paid, and pay nothing to the people who are doing the REAL work.

Last edited:
Uproot the weeds who suck the Dash community! No more marketing. No more youtube channels. No more advertisers! NO MORE OF THEM!!! ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!! PAY THE REAL WORKERS! AND PAY THEM NOW!

IT IS ABSURD A USER WHEN TRYING TO UPGRADE HIS WALLET TO LOSE ALL HIS COINS AND TO BE FORCED TO DO A SYSTEM RESTORE!!! FOR GOD'S SAKE!!!! THIS HAPPENS SIMPLY BECAUSE THE FILTHY WEEDS SUCKED ALL THE MONEY AND NO MONEY IS LEFT FOR DEVELOPMENT (not to mention research of course, this field is tottaly forgotten)

So do it now, and CUT THE CRAP!
Pay IMMEDIATLY a developer in order for a decent upgrade script to be written ASAP.

Last edited:
Thanks people.

I realise now that perhaps I needed to wait for the block index to rebuild before the coins appeared. There is a record of the original transaction on the transactions tab so I'm hoping that the coins will appear once the block index has been rebuilt. Fingers crossed or I may have to restore once again but I've got a feeling it should work out.

Thanks once again.

I need help I lost all my DASH in the update please help me recover my DASH, i am on mac osx and I do not have time machine set up

your dash are not gone unless you panic and start flailing folders around. I'll pm you and walk you through some searching.

I need help I lost all my DASH in the update please help me recover my DASH, i am on mac osx and I do not have time machine set up

Uproot the weeds who suck the Dash community! No more marketing. No more youtube channels. No more advertisers! NO MORE OF THEM!!! ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!! PAY THE REAL WORKERS! AND PAY THEM NOW!

IT IS ABSURD A USER WHEN TRYING TO UPGRADE HIS WALLET TO LOSE ALL HIS COINS AND TO BE FORCED TO DO A SYSTEM RESTORE!!! FOR GOD'S SAKE!!!! THIS HAPPENS SIMPLY BECAUSE THE FILTHY WEEDS SUCKED ALL THE MONEY AND NO MONEY IS LEFT FOR DEVELOPMENT (not to mention research of course, this field is tottaly forgotten)

So do it now, and CUT THE CRAP!
Pay IMMEDIATLY a developer in order for a decent upgrade script to be written ASAP.

Failed to load masternode cache from c:\Users\User\appdata\Roaming\Dash core\mncache.data I tried reinstalling it no go now i lost 2 months mining of my miner thanks to dash wallet

Back