• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

How can we trust the exchanges to set the prices?

mikenewhouse

When looking at coinmarket cap the top exchanges by volume are ones I've never heard of people using.
  1. is that assumption correct that they are hardly being used and the volume numbers are faked?
  2. if so, doesn't that mask real price movements from real people buying on active exchanges?
It's quite frustrating and frightening that a decentralized project needs to rely on unaccountable exchanges to help set the price.

The good news I suppose is a shady exchange can only operate so long before going under, right? That is unless of course they are trading against their manipulation of prices (the ultimate insider trading). The more I think about it the more it worries me.

Do you think this is an actual problem, why or why not?

If so what can we do about it?

By looking at how the orderbook and trades execute, we can tell some.
if they move erratically that menas tthere is some bad manipulation going on

We can also try the latest tools for exchanges.
from that we can get the latest exchange values and i know most of them are fake or not exact but there is also some very good exchanges evaluations are there so i think that might be useful.

You need to perform the fundamental analysis and check all the behavior and fluctuation pattern of its past. This will surely show anything that is suspicious. There are many manipulators in the market.

I was just reading how traders can go from one platform to another and trade exact altcoins with as much as a 25% difference in value and profit from the discrepancies. That makes me very nervous.

Back