• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Here again! MNs going down and down

Unless you're planning to run many nodes, I would stick with 1 VPS per dashd instance.

1. Keeps it simple and easy.

2. More stable, as long as your VPS is adequate for 1 daemon during max resource usage. The Vultr basic server is capable of doing 3 daemons without crashing MOST of the time, but sometimes with the updates and such it can get overtaxed. For example, running -reindex on three separate instances, each downloading and processing their own blockchain folders, will sometimes crash (you need to sync them one by one to get them in a running state, then start the others.)

3. VULTR is not the cheapest service around. for 3 dollars each (what you're paying now for $5+$2+$2), you can get three individual VPS on a different provider, each with more CPU/memory resources than the VULTR VPS /3.

It also works if you create diffrent copies of .dash for the same user.

Like, .dash .dash1 .dash2, just remember to rename the dash-daemon to: dashd dashd1 dashd2

Then I start the MNs with this command:

./.dash/dashd -datadir=/home/user/.dash
./.dash1/dashd1 -datadir=/home/user/.dash1
./.dash2/dashd2 -datadir=/home/user/.dash2

Stopping MN:

./.dash/dashd -datadir=/home/user/.dash stop
./.dash1/dashd1 -datadir=/home/user/.dash1 stop
./.dash2/dashd2 -datadir=/home/user/.dash2 stop

Debug MN:

./.dash/dashd -datadir=/home/user/.dash masternode debug
./.dash1/dashd1 -datadir=/home/user/.dash1 masternode debug
./.dash2/dashd2 -datadir=/home/user/.dash2 masternode debug

You will need to add some RPC ports and local IP for BIND in your dash.conf for each MN.
And add some extra swap if you don´t have alot of Ram.

Hi guys

Despite being a noob i am starting to understand this, and i understood that the problem was that i had 1 daemon. I assumed he could take care of 3 istances but ofc i was wrong. Trivial, for you - but believe me not so immediate for a newcomer.

I created 3 users on my Vultr account, and right now they are finally up.

This doesn't mean i am 100% happy. What Bridgewater is pointing out it's an issue. CPU is at 15% right now with 3 nodes, but when i was updating the nodes i had to do that 1 by 1; the VPS crashed twice in the process. I may consider to just add VPSs, who do you suggest?

keyser your way seems even better, but I have to understand it a bit more.
When you say:
You will need to add some RPC ports and local IP for BIND in your dash.conf for each MN.
This is something I did in remote conf, binding the 3 IPs and a couple more lines from your post in the configuration. Is that ok?

But when you say "just stay with one user and create 3 different daemons" what are, technically, the advantages? Why the VPS should be more stable?
And also.. I don't get at all the first part. When you say:

"Like, .dash .dash1 .dash2, just remember to rename the dash-daemon to: dashd dashd1 dashd2"

Can you tell me if I have to re-copy one single file 3 times, in 3 different directories renaming it? I assume that there is something more. Can you try to make a noob a bit more expert? :)

Believe me, if i can do this Dash is on the right way :D I am the conjunction between a geek and regular joe

Well, I think it's a give and take. If you use different users, you will need to start 3 putty instances, logging into each to start the remote masternodes. BUT you'll only need to update the one daemon.

If you use differently named daemons, you can do it with one putty instance but will have to update 3 daemons, renaming the daemons, placing them in your /usr/bin file and give permissions on each daemon.

I am actually not sure which way is smoother or faster to be honest?? It could be equal once you consider those steps X3 compared to logging into 3 accounts.

I'd say that if your VPS is working under 50% of your ram and cpu available, you're good as rain :) it should run everything just fine. I'm guessing from experience that each MN likes about 300 mb of ram, and can do with under 1 cpu each, so I'd think if you had 2 cpus and 1024 mbyt ram, it should handle 3 masternodes?

But that's my guess! Please don't rely on my estimates! LOL.

My MN would not start if I didn´t add rpc-ports for .dash1 & .dash2 with diffrent local bind-addess

Here is my config:

My first dash.conf for .dash folder:

rpcuser=x
rpcpassword=x
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
masternodeaddr=external_ip1:9999
bind=127.0.0.2
bind=external_ip1
listen=1
server=1
daemon=1
logtimestamps=1
maxconnections=200
#--------------------
# change ami_public_ip to public ip address which you connected by ssh
externalip=external_ip1
#---------------------
#------------
masternode=1
addnode=23.23.186.131
#----------
masternodeprivkey=xxx

My second dash.conf for .dash1 folder:

rpcuser=x
rpcpassword=x
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
rpcport=8002
masternodeaddr=external_ip2:9999
bind=127.0.0.3
bind=external_ip2
listen=1
server=1
daemon=1
logtimestamps=1
maxconnections=200
#--------------------
externalip=external_ip2
#---------------------
#------------
masternode=1
addnode=23.23.186.131
#----------
masternodeprivkey=xxx

My third dash.conf for .dash2 folder:

rpcuser=x
rpcpassword=x
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
rpcport=8003
masternodeaddr=external_ip3:9999
bind=127.0.0.4
bind=external_ip3
listen=1
server=1
daemon=1
logtimestamps=1
maxconnections=200
#--------------------
externalip=external_ip3
#---------------------
#------------
masternode=1
addnode=23.23.186.131
#----------
masternodeprivkey=xxx

On my VPS I can have 4 masternodes running on 1 CPU, 512mb Ram, 20gb hdd and 2gb swap. It will swap around 300-500mb, so for better performance you should have 1024mb Ram.

I chose this setup because it´s fast and easy to work with. I start and stop the MNs with scripts.

Oh yah, I forgot, my VPS won't allow me to make a swap (I think to force people to buy higher?) But it's super cheap ;P

Back