• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Here again! MNs going down and down

Gi01

Hi again, sorry if I make another topic but the issue is different and I just want to set this up once and forever.

Today, after seeing that my MN is finally working, i set up my 2nd MN

It was a bit of a pain, again, given my inability. Summarizing:

- I successfully got a priv key and all the data of the transactions to create masternode.conf
- I changed dash.conf file making it much much smaller, it just contains the lines in Reuben's guide
- I started the node from dash.qt WITHOUT launching it from cmd -dash.conf, but simply doubleclicking and the masternode start-many password

In the end it starts. Problem is, when i shut down, all the system goes down.

I logged in into putty, and actually once a node was up (the first) while the second was down
Restarted; shut my pc down; relog ->this time all went down!
I started again but i am convinced that either Vultr is painful with more than 1IP or there is something wrong with the daemon online

I logged again on putty, the block count was up-to-date. I checked the deamon status and there was something strange:

2015-04-07 14:15:57 CActiveMasternode::EnableHotColdMasterNode() - Enabled! You may shut down the cold daemon.
2015-04-10 16:49:55 CActiveMasternode::EnableHotColdMasterNode() - Enabled! You may shut down the cold daemon.
2015-04-12 14:45:33 CActiveMasternode::EnableHotColdMasterNode() - Enabled! You may shut down the cold daemon.
2015-04-12 16:18:13 CActiveMasternode::EnableHotColdMasterNode() - Enabled! You may shut down the cold daemon.
2015-04-12 16:26:29 CActiveMasternode::EnableHotColdMasterNode() - Enabled! You may shut down the cold daemon.

I don't know why there are 5 time stamps

Question:

- Is the daemon running?
- Did i forget to do anything that was supposed to take my node up?
- How the hell to solve this?

Thanks (again)

Restarted; shut my pc down; relog ->this time all went down!
I started again but i am convinced that either Vultr is painful with more than 1IP or there is something wrong with the daemon online

I logged again on putty, the block count was up-to-date. I checked the deamon status and there was something strange:
Can you clarify pls: when you say "went down" do you mean "delisted from mn list" or "daemon is not up and I have to run dashd again"?
Also can you post configs from vps (dash.conf) and local (masternode.conf)? (replace any sensible information with smth dummy like VPSIP1 and MNPRIVKEY1 etc)

For "all went down" i mean that the daemon was up but all the nodes weren't running, while the block count was correct

As you can see from my other topic this is becoming messy.

Dash.conf

rpcuser=****
rpcpassword=****
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
listen=0
server=1
daemon=1
logtimestamps=1

Masternode.conf

(Alias) IP1:9999 MNPRIV1 Transaction1
(Alias) IP2:9999 MNPRIV2 Transaction2

(which info may i provide that you need from above and aren't risky?)

Please note - the nodes are starting. They just fall down after a while, now they are up but i never logged out from wallet.
The only strange thing is the daemon

FYI - nodes are enabled, daemon is enabled, block count is up to date so all sync

On dashninja, all my nodes are down (and soon to be delisted, i assume :( )

On putty:

./dashd masternode list | grep 108.61****
"108.61.****" : "ENABLED",
./dashd masternode list | grep 108.61.****
"108.61.****" : "ENABLED",

EDIT: node 2 turned to EXPIRED

Last edited by a moderator:
For "all went down" i mean that the daemon was up but all the nodes weren't running, while the block count was correct

As you can see from my other topic this is becoming messy.

Dash.conf

rpcuser=****
rpcpassword=****
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
listen=0
server=1
daemon=1
logtimestamps=1

Masternode.conf

(Alias) IP1:9999 MNPRIV1 Transaction1
(Alias) IP2:9999 MNPRIV2 Transaction2

(which info may i provide that you need from above and aren't risky?)

Please note - the nodes are starting. They just fall down after a while, now they are up but i never logged out from wallet.
The only strange thing is the daemon

Is that dash.conf really from your vps?
If it really is:
1) should be dash.conf not Dash.conf
2) should be "listen=1" not "listen=0"
3) should contain 2 more lines "masternodeprivkey=MNPRIVX" (set the corresponding one for each vps) and "masternode=1"

Is that dash.conf really from your vps?
If it really is:
1) should be dash.conf not Dash.conf
2) should be "listen=1" not "listen=0"
3) should contain 2 more lines "masternodeprivkey=MNPRIVX" (set the corresponding one for each vps) and "masternode=1"

Hi again

1) it is actually dash.conf (autocorrect sry)
2-3) I was following this guide: https://dashtalk.org/threads/reuben...rnodes-from-one-wallet-guide-start-many.4034/

I have dash.conf with just those lines and masternode.conf with privkeys. Is the guide wrong?

Hi again

1) it is actually dash.conf (autocorrect sry)
2-3) I was following this guide: https://dashtalk.org/threads/reuben...rnodes-from-one-wallet-guide-start-many.4034/

I have dash.conf with just those lines and masternode.conf with privkeys. Is the guide wrong?
Ahh... That explains everything :)

Here is the quote from his guide:
What this Guide Does
Enables you to host several local masternodes from one wallet and to start all of them from that wallet. This guide assumes you already know how to start a Masternode. If not, head on to Tao's Masternode Guide for Dummies.

So his dash.conf is not for remoote but for local wallet. In other words his guide describes how to move from (N local dash.conf + N local wallet.dat) to (1 dash.conf + 1 masternode.conf + 1 wallet.dat) and does NOT describe the initial VPS setup which is done in Tao's guide.

So Reuben's guide is ok BUT it's for those who already have MNs and just want to be able to start them from one wallet.
For remote dash.conf you need to follow VPS setup part in Tao's guide (and I guess that will guide you to exactly the same changes to dash.conf I proposed earlier).

UdjinM6 Makes a lot of sense (and it's where i pointed out that for newbies it should be clearer :D)

Let's see next steps

LOCAL dash.conf is ok as above
REMOTE dash.conf should stay as Tao's adding, also, the second Masternode privkey
LOCAL masternode.conf is ok
THERE IS NO REMOTE masternode.conf

QUESTION: in Tao's guide, remote dash.conf was made readonly (chmod 444 i remember), how to make it writable?

I assume that:

- I have to stop dashd
- I have to edit dash.conf
- restart dashd
- fire up wallet and start nodes

right?

Ahh... That explains everything :)

Here is the quote from his guide:

So his dash.conf is not for remoote but for local wallet. In other words his guide describes how to move from (N local dash.conf + N local wallet.dat) to (1 dash.conf + 1 masternode.conf + 1 wallet.dat) and does NOT describe the initial VPS setup which is done in Tao's guide.

So Reuben's guide is ok BUT it's for those who already have MNs and just want to be able to start them from one wallet.
For remote dash.conf you need to follow VPS setup part in Tao's guide (and I guess that will guide you to exactly the same changes to dash.conf I proposed earlier).

Hi again

So:

- I edited the dash.conf in REMOTE that is with listen=1 etc
- The masternode key i had on the file was different from the one that appeared on the "new wallet". So i changed it - IS THAT RIGHT?
- I added the second MN key. I don't see any label for MN1 or MN2, so i just used "masternodeprivkey" for both - IS THAT CORRECT?
- I started the nodes, they are up, but i don't know what will happen soon

Thanks

G.

Please someone helps me :( I am going to start to cry!

UdjinM6 or for whoever else can - The first node is running and has been "seen". The other node is inactive. I assume that the problem is ofc in dash.conf either remote or local

LOCAL dash.conf

It's exactly like reuben's guide

rpcuser=****
rpcpassword=****
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
listen=0
server=1
daemon=1
logtimestamps=1

REMOTE dash.conf

rpcuser=****
rpcpassword=****
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
listen=1
server=1
daemon=1
logtimestamps=1
maxconnections=256
masternode=1
masternodeprivkey=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
masternodeprivkey=YYYYYYYYYYY
addnode=23.23.186.131

masternode.conf is able to start all the nodes so it's working, i think

With my low quality of knowledge it should be one of the following 2:

- dash.conf doesn't read the 2nd masternode privkey, so after line 1 it stops
- daemon is running only for the first node and i don't know why at all

- dash.conf doesn't read the 2nd masternode privkey, so after line 1 it stops

For the REMOTE setup, each masternode runs separately. For 2 masternodes, you need set up one more VPS with TAO's guide, then put its IP address, , masternodegenkey, transactionID info on the second line of your LOCAL masternode.conf, like in rueben's guide.

You can also use one VPS with multiple static IP addresses and run multiple instances of dashd, but it is more complicated to setup.

Do you have masternodeprivkey two times in your config??

quoted:
REMOTE dash.conf

rpcuser=****
rpcpassword=****
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
listen=1
server=1
daemon=1
logtimestamps=1
maxconnections=256
masternode=1

addnode=23.23.186.131

Have you updated your hot wallet? You need to update hot wallet too.

What do you mean? On the remote server it's still the one from the update of the other day. On local... too. The problem isn't to start the nodes, is that all but the 1st drop (3 nodes now).

For the REMOTE setup, each masternode runs separately. For 2 masternodes, you need set up one more VPS with TAO's guide, then put its IP address, , masternodegenkey, transactionID info on the second line of your LOCAL masternode.conf, like in rueben's guide.

You can also use one VPS with multiple static IP addresses and run multiple instances of dashd, but it is more complicated to setup.

I *think* that we have a winner here. The masternode.conf is working properly, in fact the nodes are starting.
What's not working is the daemon; in fact only node1 is working, the other drops.

I bought 2 more IPs on the same VPS (Vultr gives up to 3 IPs with 1 VPS), got the IP of them and correctly set up the masternode.conf
But given that nodes 2 and 3 keep to go down, I think that the daemon is taking care of just the first node.

How to setup the daemon to take care of 3 instances?

Do you have masternodeprivkey two times in your config??

quoted:
REMOTE dash.conf

rpcuser=****
rpcpassword=****
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
listen=1
server=1
daemon=1
logtimestamps=1
maxconnections=256
masternode=1

addnode=23.23.186.131

I simply added the 2nd node privkey, but ofc it was the wrong thing to do. I assume that i have to run multiple instances of the daemon so that all of them are working.

So 2 questions:

- When I login on putty and give cmd grep HotCold .darkcoin/debug.log, i get like 6 times the messages. Am i running 6 daemons? :|
- As stated above How to setup the daemon to take care of 3 instances?

I'd like to use one VPS for a lot of reasons: easier to login and check (one VPS and not 3 different VPSs), pricing, scalability across time

Thanks in advance

Oh, re-reading

You're not the only one who's nodes are dropping... let me see here....

From what I'm reading, I *think* you only have one remote daemon wallet running? I think you need to make a user for each daemon, so that each one can run an individual node, and be connected to a different IP. It's still one VPS but 3 users for 3 masternodes. And beware, your vps has to have enough cpu/memory to run 3 at a time. The start many command just makes it easier on the local wallet where all the funds are, to start the masternodes. It really doesn't help with the remote servers. The requirements are still the same there. One IP, one daemon running for each.

Hope that helps??

First off, I use winscp to get an explorer like interface with my servers. I also use putty to do my commands. http://winscp.net/eng/index.php

To add a new user, if you're using Ubuntu (which most people are) go here:
http://www.liquidweb.com/kb/how-to-add-a-user-and-grant-root-privileges-on-ubuntu-14-04/

Basicly, just do: sudo adduser NAME (if you're not root but have root privelages)

Then answer the questions like :password (this is to get root, so your current user pass) then enter new password for the new user, twice, then you can hit enter through the questions, name, address, phone etc... not needed.

And I just checked, you don't need root privileges to run the daemon

Do that as many times as you need masternodes.

Now you have your accounts (and your root, you shouldn't use root)

You'll find each one at /home/username

You don't have to update the dashd daemon if you put it in /usr/bin, rather you just start another instance like you did before under the new user :)

Finally, in putty, when you log in, you have to log into each account separately with new user names and passwords, then just start like usual.

Back