• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Governance question?

Yep) But we have chosen not a good time though with TNABC going on right now. Hope to see here more people soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Masternodes also have pump and dump power. If they want they can sell their coins and sell their equipment or use it for being nodes of other cryptocurrency, right?
So this doesnt seems like equal powers,
users (+)have ability to pump and dump, (+)have no equipment costs, but (-)have not ability to vote,
miners (+)have rewards, (+)have ability to pump and dump, but (-)have not ability to vote and (-)have equipment costs.
Masternode (rich investors) (+)have rewards, (+)have abilitiy to pump and dump, (+)have ability to vote but (-)have equipment costs.

No required Colatteral (C)
Receives Rewards (R)
No Equipment costs (E)
Can Vote (V)

Users +C -R +E -V
Miners +C +R -E -V
MN -C +R -E +V

2 advantages, 2 disadvantages for each, seems pretty ballanced to me

The end users don't need to vote, they already know why they're using it! They voted the moment they used it. And one of those reasons is utility. And you need to remember, however good you think dash is now, it's going to get a whole better (more utility) in the future.

I really don't see the point of giving end users the ability to vote just-because.

MN operators might be relatively "rich" but it's not like they can actually spend their 1000 dash, they can't, it's locked up and hopefully earning revenue for services rendered. I can imagine a future where there are other node types providing different services... those services might require more or less collateral. If end users want to make money and, therefore, get to vote, they could take those paths as they come online.

Votes = services rendered

Decentralized governance is a very new feature. I think that end user has a lot more interest to participate in decentralised voting system than to send money instantly to someone with small fee. I believe there are some cryptos out there that can do the last thing already)

Decentralized governance is a very new feature. I think that end user has a lot more interest to participate in decentralised voting system than to send money instantly to someone with small fee. I belive there is some cryptos out there that can do the last thing already)

Then, DASH is the wrong place for that, I'm affraid. DASH is Digital Cash. The core purpose of DASH is allowing it's users "to send money instantly to someone with small fee". (I really doubt there are people out there willing to "vote only" for no purpose).

I do not say that sending money is bad purpose. I'm saying that allowing all users to vote could incentivise the network to grow. I'm not sure how hard it would take to implement this feature though.

The end users don't need to vote, they already know why they're using it! They voted the moment they used it. And one of those reasons is utility. And you need to remember, however good you think dash is now, it's going to get a whole better (more utility) in the future.

I really don't see the point of giving end users the ability to vote just-because.

MN operators might be relatively "rich" but it's not like they can actually spend their 1000 dash, they can't, it's locked up and hopefully earning revenue for services rendered. I can imagine a future where there are other node types providing different services... those services might require more or less collateral. If end users want to make money and, therefore, get to vote, they could take those paths as they come online.

Votes = services rendered

You put things perfectly in tune with my view on the issue.

I'am not saying that sending money is bad purpose. I'm saying that allowing all users to vote could incentivise the network to grow. I'm not sure how hard it would take to implement this feature though.

The fact that I use Google regularly does not entitle me to vote for Google's internal decisions.
The fact that I drive a Ferrari on the weekends does not entitle me to vote for Ferrari's internal decisions.
The fact that I drink Absolut daily does not entitle me to vote for Absolute's internal decisions.
and so on... :wink:

You put things perfectly in tune with my view on the issue.

The fact that I use Google regularly does not entitle me to vote for Google's internal decisions.
The fact that I drive a Ferrari on the weekends does not entitle me to vote for Ferrari's internal decisions.
The fact that I drink Absolut daily does not entitle me to vote for Absolute's internal decisions.
and so on... :wink:

woww, backup a little... I'm voting that you don't drink and drive!

Don't think the Google, Ferrari, vodka analogy applies in our case.

Lite Nodes would be stakeholders not users. My mom would be a user if I send her some DASH to buy a soda can with or something. That's a user. A Lite Node operator with voting power would be someone pretty much involved in the project with a stake in it.

So instead of calling them users let's call them stakeholders. I may use Gmail and I'm a user and I can also own Google shares. They're not exactly one and the same thing.

Don't think the Google, Ferrari, vodka analogy applies in our case.

Lite Nodes would be stakeholders not users. My mom would be a user if I send her some DASH to buy a soda can with or something. That's a user. A Lite Node operator with voting power would be someone pretty much involved in the project with a stake in it.

So instead of calling them users let's call them stakeholders. I may use Gmail and I'm a user and I can also own Google shares. They're not exactly one and the same thing. Companies often have stock splits to allow more people to buy their stock.

I see where you're coming from, and I can understand how you feel about inclusion of as many people as possible in DASH's decision making. But, still, I don't see the utility of this specific proposal.

As I said before, by participating in a shared Masternode, each stakeholder ALREADY HAS the possibility to participate in a internal node "sub-vote" among each shared node stakeholder (coordinated by the shared node administrator). The result of this "internal sub-vote" is the shared node's vote on the main network.

What we need is ONLY to improve (the security of stakeholders in) shared Masternodes.

I doubt that a 3rd tier of small holders would work because, as I have already asked: : will there be relevant participation of users willing to pay for a stable node (static ip, etc)? For free? Look at bitcoin, there are tons of BTC investors who will not run a BTC full node, even though they know it is important to the network (their investment).

One Masternode has a duty towards the whole network. It has to comply with ever increasing demands of infrastructure, the more the network grows... wil, small node, be as reliable?

As to "voting concerns". I understand that each user his its own specific voting mechanism, as explained above.

As to danger of collusion from the Masternode operators: there's no incentive for that.

But that's my opinion. Let's see what other users think about the idea :)

I see where you're coming from, and I can understand how you feel about inclusion of as many people as possible in DASH's decision making. But, still, I don't see the utility of this specific proposal.

As I said before, by participating in a shared Masternode, each stakeholder ALREADY HAS the possibility to participate in a internal node "sub-vote" among each shared node stakeholder (coordinated by the shared node administrator). The result of this "internal sub-vote" is the shared node's vote on the main network.

Actually splawik21 who runs a node share service sees problems in this area. The demand decreases as DASH price increases because people have to risk more. Votes are not fractional either but binary and that's another problem. https://dashtalk.org/threads/governance-question.7725/#post-79516

lynx Operator would have to run lots of nodes for it to work but it's a lousy fix. On top of that, the price increase still remains an issue as less people are willing to risk joining in as the price goes up.

Actually splawik21 who runs a node share service sees problems in this area. The demand decreases as DASH price increases because people have to risk more. Votes are not fractional either but binary and that's another problem. https://dashtalk.org/threads/governance-question.7725/#post-79516

According to splawik21
(...)that needs a lot of trust toward the person who operates it. My experience shows that with price increase this is getting a problem now.(...)

What I propose is:
(...)We only need to improve (the security of stakeholders in) shared Masternodes :wink:

raganius

The more the price goes up the more ridiculous the claim that DASH has bottom up decentralized governance will sound. The profits for Masternode operators will only increase exponentially and the barrier to entry will get higher and higher. It will become a rich getting richer scenario that many will love to hate. You don't want that.

If we are serious about having a decentralized governance where community is really involved something like Lite Nodes are the way to go. DASH already has full nodes on top of Masternodes btw.

I own some masternodes myself but you need to put things in perspective. This would be very beneficial for DASH.

raganius

The more the price goes up the more ridiculous the claim that DASH has bottom up decentralized governance will sound. The profits for Masternode operators will only increase exponentially and the barrier to entry will get higher and higher. It will become a rich getting richer scenario that many will love to hate. You don't want that.

If we are serious about having a decentralized governance where community is really involved something like Lite Nodes are the way to go.

Ok, as I said, I understand your feelings towards how it works. And I might be alone here, but to be honest, I se no problem with the "rich getting richer" idea, especially because, as I have said elsewhere, the cryptocurrencies are not equal wealth distribution devices. I doubt a serious investor will accept to participate in a project that (instead of making him wealthier) will divide his money with everyone around.... For that we already have the State... see my point?

raganius

If we are serious about having a decentralized governance where community is really involved something like Lite Nodes are the way to go.
If the price really does go up it means the MN operators are doing a good job...

Back