• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Getting started with wallet on RaspberryPi 1,2 + 3

lord2jays

Hello All,

I'm having trouble with a wallet set-up.....

OK, first things first, I'm using the 'Raspbian' operating system which is the most popular for first time Pi users and is free and easy to install. It has a terminal window which can be opened within the browser for manually typing in commands (sudo apt-get......etc etc) and is easy to navigate since it has a point+click system with a web browser built in.

OK, the guide for video Linux installation of a Dash wallet on the Dash website OK, first things first, I think we should use the 'Raspbian' operating system which is the most popular for first time Pi users and is free and easy to install. It has a terminal window which can be opened within the browser for manually typing in commands (sudo apt-get......etc etc) and is easy to navigate since it has a point+click system with a web browser built in.

OK, the guide for video Linux installation of a Dash wallet on the Dash website is out of date.When one tries to follow it the first step when opening the tar.gz file on the desktop it doesn't appear the same as in the guide.

The guide doesn't reference the new options available for the downloads since there is one specifically for Raspberry Pi2 now. When downloading the Linux wallet, you get the tar.gz file, this bit is fine, the built-in file extractor on the Raspbian desktop opens it but the files in there are: bin, lib and include.

The bin file opens and includes the 'executable' files: test_dash, dash-tx, dashd and dash-cli.

I think there are supposed to be two more (dash-qt and another one) but I don't want to confuse things.

I think that the 'dependencies' are missing but, IMO, once that barrier is reached and the guide no longer represents what happens when people try to download the Linux version for themselves, I think that is where most people would give up.) is out of date.When one tries to follow it the first step when opening the tar.gz file on the desktop it doesn't appear the same as in the guide.

The guide doesn't reference the new options available for the downloads since there is one specifically for Raspberry Pi2 now. When downloading the Linux wallet, you get the tar.gz file, this bit is fine, the built-in file extractor on the Raspbian desktop opens it but the files in there are: bin, lib and include.

The bin file opens and includes the 'executable' files: test_dash, dash-tx, dashd and dash-cli.

I think there are supposed to be two more (dash-qt and another one) but I don't want to confuse things.

I think that the 'dependencies' are missing but, IMO, once that barrier is reached and the guide no longer represents what happens when people try to download the Linux version for themselves, I think that is where most people would give up.

Any chance of some pointers? I had to buy a tablet in the end and install the Windows version of the Dash Core and Electrum Dash on there. Both wallets are working fine and I've managed to replace the wallet.dat file with one containing approx. 150Dash.

I still want everything working on the Pi's though. I have had no similar problems with the Electrum Bitcoin wallet which is running fine off the Raspian OS desktop.....

Thanks all, any help would be appreciated.

Hello All,

I'm having trouble with a wallet set-up.....

OK, first things first, I'm using the 'Raspbian' operating system which is the most popular for first time Pi users and is free and easy to install. It has a terminal window which can be opened within the browser for manually typing in commands (sudo apt-get......etc etc) and is easy to navigate since it has a point+click system with a web browser built in.

OK, the guide for video Linux installation of a Dash wallet on the Dash website OK, first things first, I think we should use the 'Raspbian' operating system which is the most popular for first time Pi users and is free and easy to install. It has a terminal window which can be opened within the browser for manually typing in commands (sudo apt-get......etc etc) and is easy to navigate since it has a point+click system with a web browser built in.

OK, the guide for video Linux installation of a Dash wallet on the Dash website is out of date.When one tries to follow it the first step when opening the tar.gz file on the desktop it doesn't appear the same as in the guide.

I think that the 'dependencies' are missing but, IMO, once that barrier is reached and the guide no longer represents what happens when people try to download the Linux version for themselves, I think that is where most people would give up.) is out of date.When one tries to follow it the first step when opening the tar.gz file on the desktop it doesn't appear the same as in the guide.

I think that the 'dependencies' are missing but, IMO, once that barrier is reached and the guide no longer represents what happens when people try to download the Linux version for themselves, I think that is where most people would give up.

Any chance of some pointers? I had to buy a tablet in the end and install the Windows version of the Dash Core and Electrum Dash on there. Both wallets are working fine and I've managed to replace the wallet.dat file with one containing approx. 150Dash.

I still want everything working on the Pi's though. I have had no similar problems with the Electrum Bitcoin wallet which is running fine off the Raspian OS desktop.....

Thanks all, any help would be appreciated.

Yes the video is out of date. The files in bin, dash-qt dashd, dash-cli, dash-tx, dash_test is where you want to be to open the wallet.

So get the directory path for those files and open the terminal. Use the 'cd' command to change directories in terminal. Go to the directory where dash files mentioned above are located. For instance let's say you dragged the 'bin' file to desktop, the command to get there would be,
cd /Desktop/bin

Once you are there you will want to run commands to open wallet, here's the command.

./dash-qt

If you need more help please join me on slack. Links are in my signature. Also some helpful links below.

https://dashtalk.org/threads/dash-qt-on-raspbian.6201/

https://dashtalk.org/threads/linux-wallet-download-installation-guide.3901/

Back