• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

(For video) Do these statements look correct? Thank you.

amanda_b_johnson

Hello. Seeking feedback on whether these statements I've written regarding Evolution -- intended for possible use in a video -- are technically correct. Since Evolution is currently knowable only through whitepapers rather than experience, I wanted to double-check with y'all that my understanding is correct. Thanks in advance for correcting any errors you may spot!

"Evolution will offer Dash customers the ease, familiarity, and easy-to-remember nature of a single username in place of long alphanumeric addresses. Dash customers will be able to use their username to send and receive all their payments, similar to how email addresses are used in PayPal. To make things even easier, the usernames of a customer's friends, family, and business contacts can all be kept track of in his social contact list right within the Evolution wallet."

"Not forgetting its first and foremost goal of being digital cash, Dash's Evolution will further enable customers to send batches of new addresses to everyone in their contact list. This means that no matter how many times a customer's username receives payments from others, payments can always land in a new address to maintain the customer's privacy."

"Dash Evolution will enable decentralized service providers to offer zero-knowledge password resets and wallet backups to their customers via email. This functionality is possible through Dash's DAPI, which will pull the necessary information directly from DashDrive located on the Dash blockchain."

"Finally, Dash Evolution will offer the services which are ultimately most important to transacting online with people you don't know -- the ratings of transactions, and the arbitration of disputed transactions. In this way, Dash customers will be able to view the ratings history of a given Dash user before deciding to proceed with the trade, while both parties are able to maintain total privacy of their identity if they wish."

Evan tells me that "zero knowledge" should be removed from:

"Dash Evolution will enable decentralized service providers to offer zero-knowledge password resets and wallet backups to their customers via email. This functionality is possible through Dash's DAPI, which will pull the necessary information directly from DashDrive located on the Dash blockchain."

because the network will be able to know that a password has been changed, and which user changed it. Further, the service provider will know that a user has received a copy of their wallet backup, meaning it also shouldn't use the term "zero knowledge."

I have no idea how Evolution is going to look when it's ready, it's too early to say for sure imo but I think this "to send batches of new addresses to everyone in their contact list" was more a general idea that Evolution should help users to avoid address reuse in some automated fashion. So my guess is this part should be replaced by smth like different bip47 payment codes shared among different users in actual implementation.

I have no idea how Evolution is going to look when it's ready, it's too early to say for sure imo but I think this "to send batches of new addresses to everyone in their contact list" was more a general idea that Evolution should help users to avoid address reuse in some automated fashion. So my guess is this part should be replaced by smth like different bip47 payment codes shared among different users in actual implementation.

I was just thinking about this, are evo docs written based upon high expectations or realistic expectations? Seems like there might be a bit of text to clean up here and there before things start actually getting launched as to make sure everyone actually knows what xx and xx does, correct?

I was just thinking about this, are evo docs written based upon high expectations or realistic expectations? Seems like there might be a bit of text to clean up here and there before things start actually getting launched as to make sure everyone actually knows what xx and xx does, correct?
I'm not working on Evo yet so don't take my words as a promise, I'm just making assumptions here :)
Evo docs are written by Evan based on his vision mostly and more or less confirmed to be implementable during brainstorming. Few things might change as we move but that's fine as long as general idea is still the same imo. Basically, he outlined the system without diving too deep into implementation details and as we implement more and more stuff we might shift here and there.

Hey Amanda!

"Evolution will offer Dash customers the ease, familiarity, and easy-to-remember nature of a single username in place of long alphanumeric addresses. Dash customers will be able to use their username to send and receive all their payments, similar to how email addresses are used in PayPal. To make things even easier, the usernames of a customer's friends, family, and business contacts can all be kept track of in his social contact list right within the Evolution wallet."

*yes on that

"Not forgetting its first and foremost goal of being digital cash, Dash's Evolution will further enable customers to send batches of new addresses to everyone in their contact list. This means that no matter how many times a customer's username receives payments from others, payments can always land in a new address to maintain the customer's privacy."

*yes but we won't need batches anymore, when the users connect addressing is done behind the scene and each payment between the users will be on a new address

*not sure on this one right now, email is a bit of a grey area. it will be decided by July though which is when the final specs are finished

"Finally, Dash Evolution will offer the services which are ultimately most important to transacting online with people you don't know -- the ratings of transactions, and the arbitration of disputed transactions. In this way, Dash customers will be able to view the ratings history of a given Dash user before deciding to proceed with the trade, while both parties are able to maintain total privacy of their identity if they wish."

*that's ok but some of the privacy is still being worked out too so i wouldn't say 'total privacy'. For example if 2 user's transact with each other that is private between them but if one user publishes it it's not private

there's other stuff to, maybe do a call with the Evo team Amanda so we can explain a lot more of it. we have our prototyping / dev we've done but the final cut of what's in or out isn't until July and some of the info in those papers is out of date :)

"Evolution will offer Dash customers the ease, familiarity, and easy-to-remember nature of a single username in place of long alphanumeric addresses. Dash customers will be able to use their username to send and receive all their payments, similar to how email addresses are used in PayPal. To make things even easier, the usernames of a customer's friends, family, and business contacts can all be kept track of in his social contact list right within the Evolution wallet." True

"Not forgetting its first and foremost goal of being digital cash, Dash's Evolution will further enable customers to send batches of new addresses to everyone in their contact list. This means that no matter how many times a customer's username receives payments from others, payments can always land in a new address to maintain the customer's privacy." Ah, now I finally "get" why Evan is doing this!!!

"Dash Evolution will enable decentralized service providers to offer zero-knowledge password resets and wallet backups to their customers via email. This functionality is possible through Dash's DAPI, which will pull the necessary information directly from DashDrive located on the Dash blockchain." I don't think the intention is for service providers to do this, the wallet already does this, and you can get a web wallet that is safer, as it will be issued by Dash, at least that is how I understand it. However the DAPI can do all kinds of things for people otherwise, like perhaps someone could tap into the network to create a decentralized exchange, an auction site or things like what Etherium is doing, basically smart contracts, done any way you want, interfacing with the Dash Network.

"Finally, Dash Evolution will offer the services which are ultimately most important to transacting online with people you don't know -- the ratings of transactions, and the arbitration of disputed transactions. In this way, Dash customers will be able to view the ratings history of a given Dash user before deciding to proceed with the trade, while both parties are able to maintain total privacy of their identity if they wish." Yup :)

Just another note, from the last time I saw what was written up in the plans, The network - when using Evolution, which will still be a choice, a person can retrieve all their information using their 12 word phrase that makes up their deterministic wallet. If they lose that, AND their user name passphrase (so they can't get into the wallet to retrieve it) then they're up shit's creek. We were at last look, still arguing if an email should be required due to privacy issues. Also, another cute idea Evan had, but I don't think any of this is written in stone, is that everyone's data is stored via the sharded storage system, but in the highly unlikely event that a shard is lost on every backup machine, each user can keep their information on their own machine, or even hook up to their own cloud account for automatic backups. This wouldn't be a huge file, like the blockchain, just your personal transactions.

@AndyDark I can't wait to read / hear about the changes you all came up with since I last looked at the documentation!

Last edited:
Back