• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Extremely Low KH. Can I use Hardware?

My Hash is really, really low. 80KH? See attachments.

THREE QUESTIONS:
1.) Is there anything I can do to increase my hash? Please see my computer info below and attachments.

2.) Can I use hardware to mine Darkcoin? I noticed a GPU miner download, so I'm assuming yes?

3.) If I can use Hardware to mine DRK, can you recommend hardware that won't sound like a rocket ship is blasting off in my living room? Haha.
Maybe something like the Gridseed Dual miner or USB Block Erupter?

HOW I'M MINING NOW:

I'm mining only with my computer CPU and running this:
http://darkcoin.io/downloads/xcoin-miner.zip

I tried running minerd-corei7-avx from:
http://download.darkcoin.fr/darkCoin-cpuminer-1.3-avx-aes-windows-binaries.zip
but it crashes after loading the 4th thread (see attachment).

I'm active on this pool. Some members are cranking in 30 DRK coins a day! I'm not even putting in 1/4 of a coin.
https://cpu-pool.net/drk/index.php

MY COMPUTER INFO:
Machine name: XXXXXXX
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130828-1532)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gateway
System Model: DX4860
BIOS: BIOS Date: 05/02/11 19:51:20 Ver: 04.06.04
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16290MB RAM
Page File: 7328MB used, 25250MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Attachments

• lowkh.jpg
    lowkh.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 105
  • lowkh2.jpg
    lowkh2.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 113
  • crashes.jpg
    crashes.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 109
That's probably about right for your CPU, I have an old Gen2 I5 that does about 100kh/s and that will be slightly faster than an I3. The avx CPU miner speeds things up some, but only works on newer CPUs with the AES-NI instructions, that is typically a Gen 3 or 4 I7 so it won't work for you - hence the crash.

Your system info doesn't say what GPU you have, but if you have a fairly recent AMD GPU then SgMiner will likely give much better returns that your CPU, only the most recent NVidia cards are support by ccminer, so you would need a 6xx or 7xx series (even my 3 month old 760 is only supported at the most basic level CUDA 3, vs 3.5 or 5 for the newer cards) Mining on a recent GPU could give you 1000-2000kh/s.

Difficulty has gone up quite a bit over the last week and I'm now stopping mining on some of my slower machines as they never manage to earn a share (I5 2.4ghz - Off, 3.4ghz Core Quad - Off). I7-3770k AES-NI still turning in about 450-500kh/s and about 0.012 DRK per 24hr period. Nvidia 760 about 1200kh/s - 1800kh/s and roughly 0.037 DRK per 24h. Last week for the same hash rate they were returning double that... So currently one darkcoin every three weeks! (yay?)

Yikes. What about those Gridseed and USB miners? Are there any good alternatives to the super loud and power consuming GPUs? Thanks for your input. Mining reallly satisfies my inner geek whether I'm getting rich or not. But I think the key is to have a powerful mining farm (20G of hash at least) that mines altcoins and then trade them in for Bitcoins and Litecoins. But I'm going to hang onto my Dark Coins. I have a good feeling about them. I think they'll eventually be the choice altcoin in the deep/darknet which is a multi-billion dollar market.

PS. My GPU is a crap Intel graphics card. I have an old dell in storage and I'm wondering if I can make a temporary miner with that even if it has a junk graphics card? Still better than nothing for now? I'd like to avoid GPU mining though. I don't want my electricity bill going through the roof. CPU mining is so BORING. I want to see something working and have gadgets to play with. Haha.

i tried using some older left over GPUs, couldn't really get any of them to work. older GPUs do not support the specific instruction sets of the current generation of GPUs. anything older than 4-5 years old, proably won't work.

if you want to try mining, get 1 or 2 Nvidia 750ti you can use them in any mother board with PCIe slots. and you'll be mining away. its a pretty rewarding exercise, but be warned, at this point the genie's out the bottle, and you'll only be getting one dark coin every 5-10 days.

Mining dark is not nearly as noisy as mining the other coins. my fans barely run.

One dark coin ever 5-10 days? Wow. That's $12 every 10 days at the current value?

The GeForce 750ti ($160 Ebay) hashes at 256kh
The Sapphire Vapor-x RD 280X ($180 Ebay) hashes at 750kh?
Based on your figures two 280x would mine 1 Drkcoin every 2.5 - 5 days? With four 280x you could mine 1 Drkcoin every day?

How do you calculate how fast coins are mined? Wicked noob question, I know. Haha. Thanks.

My GTS 450 only runs on ccminer 2.1 (which you can get here: https://github.com/KBomba/ccminer-KBomba/releases/ )
With it, I get anywhere between ~60-400 KH/s according to the dashboard of darkcointalk.org pool. My CPU is an AMD Phenom Triple core, and each core is getting about 15kh/s. Averages about 50 kh/s according to the dashboard.

My dad has a few AMD/ATI cards and some old computers that he doesn't use anymore, and in a few weeks we are going to set that up into a frankenstein rig to mine while I'm out of town.

As well, I'm excited about Darkcoin, and I think it will eventually surpass Bitcoin once all the kinks are worked out. I'm constantly kicking myself for not getting into bitcoin before the major boom. Not making that mistake again.

I'm constantly kicking myself for not getting into bitcoin before the major boom. Not making that mistake again.

That's a great attitude to have. But remember not to put all your eggs in one basket. You may be kicking yourself for missing out on another coin. I don't mean Litecoin. Maybe there's a newish coin with low difficulty that's under $1.00 that you can get in early on, something you think has potential. Keep in mind that you can mine Drk with a GPU. Not all cards work, so look into AMD/ATI before you spend a bunch of time trying to get it hashing, if you haven't already. You'll be rolling in cash in a year from now. Good luck!

Boston,
Yeah, now that I have a better idea what to look for, I can figure out if his ATI cards will work or not. As far as other coins, that is a possibility, however Darkcoin has something new and innovative that others don't, anonymity of transactions. Most of the others I've looked at seem to be shiny on the outside without any real potential as a game changer on the inside. Now on the flip side, there could be one that is new and low difficulty, that could be easy to mine and might be able to exchange, but too busy at this point right now.

EDIT: And oddly enough, as soon as I close the CPU miner out, I go from 150ish kh/s to 500 kh/s on my GPU mining. Much nicer.

Boston,
Yeah, now that I have a better idea what to look for, I can figure out if his ATI cards will work or not. As far as other coins, that is a possibility, however Darkcoin has something new and innovative that others don't, anonymity of transactions. Most of the others I've looked at seem to be shiny on the outside without any real potential as a game changer on the inside. Now on the flip side, there could be one that is new and low difficulty, that could be easy to mine and might be able to exchange, but too busy at this point right now.

EDIT: And oddly enough, as soon as I close the CPU miner out, I go from 150ish kh/s to 500 kh/s on my GPU mining. Much nicer.
You were 'too busy' when Bitcoin was new too. =) Another good way to do it is mine coins with easy difficulty and cash them in for Drk. I hope Drk doesn't go up too much before I have enough MH power to crank in coins. I think that Crypto Currency is going to be more like Facebook Apps. It seems they're already starting to be with Smurf and Dogge. Fun game-like coins that will take off and make people money.

I also have another prediction that I have to keep to myself because I'd like to implement it into my own coin launch someday, but not until after I'm very savvy and knowledgeable at mining and how it all works. There willl be many game changers. Dark has anonymity on lock-down. How can you complete against a coin named DARK in that area, especially seeing they're the first one to bring anonymity to the market.

All in all, mining coins is really fun and I like how it's mysterious to people who don't understand it. The great thing is you don't really have to understand it to make money. I've also been learning that some savy miners are making A LOT less mining than they do trading. They mine just to trade and make much more money. Many miners who are making $150/day mining are making 3X that day trading. Specifically this guy: https://www.youtube.com/user/avakyans

Back